Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new owner of a 2016 used LR Discovery. only has 14k miles, so it still seems new....I keep hearing a loud rattling sound during idle with or without the auto stop/start on. The dealership said it was comparable to other new LR's but I find that hard to believe. Let me know if yours makes this sound? I find it very annoying.

Around 14 seconds, I switch the gear to park and it goes quiet. then I switch back to drive around 18 seconds and it returns.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would say mine idles a little louder than my LR4 but nothing i would call a loud rattle. If the dealership said its fine i dont see why they would have a reason to lie about it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So, Trendy, the rattle occurs when the car is in drive but you are stopped, and goes away when you shift to park? Have you tried shifting to neutral to see if the same change occurs.

I can't say I have experience the same (I have about 4k on the clock). I have found that the DS, like other cars I have had, may idle a little high - and therefore a little noisier - on start up (especially on cold days) before it warms up. But, I don't think that the DS is any noisier than other 4-cyl engines (larger engines tend to idle smoother in my experience).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes makes the same noise in Neutral. I can't upload the file for you to hear. In both the navigator and MKX there was never a loud idle sound. I am just not used to it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
4 cylinder engine is tough to get used to. The change in RPM is due to the temperature rise during drive along with the auto start stop feature. You can turn off the Auto start stop if it bothers you BTW.

I too came from V8 and inline 6 cylinder engines with silky smoothness - I'm sure your V8 Navigator is nothing like the Discovery's 4 cylinders...

The Discovery is my very first 4 cylinder 2L crossover and has a definite "rattle" that is slight but way different than my silky smooth 6 cylinder 3L BMWs I have driven for over 15 years and previous to that the 8 cylinder SUV engines over 5L - 10 years prior...

It's something you get used to.

So much so, that recently I got my wife her first BMW and it had a 4 cylinder 2L engine as well. At the dealership, we compared the 6 cylinder 535 and the 4 cylinder 528 - we could not tell the difference much on the streets. We don't buy our cars to race so we don't care about the HP and Torque numbers. We ended up getting the 528 which had enough get up and go for the driving we do (congested Southern California)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts