Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason there are a number of Chinese automakers that have no regard for copyright law or a minimal level of honorable business practice. This vehicle may look like a Range Rover Evoque, but it's not. It's a blatant rip off called the LandWind X7. Compare an Evoque with the LandWind X7 with the two pictures below. If the Mandarin writing wasn't there, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth told Autocar, "As a company we have invested heavily in China with our joint venture partner Chevy. Anything that damages the potential profitability of our plant damages the integrity of those plans."

The Range Rover Evoque will go on sale for $62,000 in China, but the LandWind X7 is going to be put on sale for $22,000. It's basically the knock-off designer purse of SUVs.

What do you think of this disaster?

·
Registered
293 Posts
That is close enough to the real deal
although those who know the evoque well enough could tell the difference easily from the headlights and tail lights.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are differences but there is no denying that this Chinese company tried outright to rip off Range Rover. They have no shame. Does the Chinese government do anything about this in the end, or do they just turn a blind eye?

·
Registered
293 Posts
There are differences but there is no denying that this Chinese company tried outright to rip off Range Rover. They have no shame. Does the Chinese government do anything about this in the end, or do they just turn a blind eye?
They sure do.
It's been happening for too long, seen pictures of a few different knock off's and heard of many others.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And then people wonder why Chinese cars aren't sold outside China, its because they are all rip offs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
And then people wonder why Chinese cars aren't sold outside China, its because they are all rip offs.
I believe the biggest reason the Chinese knock offs are not sold outside of Chinese are the poor car testing results, although not always the case.

Chinese Clones - The Story of Soulless and Affordable Cars - autoevolution

This the knock off X5 that the Italians felt wasn't really a copy.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20081218/ANE02/812189978/bmw-loses-chinese-clone-court-action

I wonder what the court decision would have been if it was a Ferrari or Lambo knock off...

·
Registered
7 Posts
It has actually been a norm of late with the Chinese industry whereby almost everything that they produce is breaching some laws in one way or another. I am not sure whether to call that movement a copyright infringement or just plain intelligent to be able to exactly copy other manufacturers' products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts