Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have not seen this, but I think it’s a great idea. Let us know if you install! I’m curious how easy it would be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Came in today, the pad is pretty much a perfect fit.
It included absolutely no instruction or documentation, but has what looks to be a nice passthrough for power. Somewhere in the disco there is a 3 prong adapter that this will tap right into.

Sent them an email to see if there is documentation, otherwise I guess its time to start figuring out how to pull apart the console and go on a hunt for the right plug.

The lead for the mat seems about long enough to make it from where the 12v adapter is under the arm rest between the seats so I'm "guessing" that may be the intended point to grab power.

Anyone know the easiest way to remove the center console section?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To close the loop, to their credit, I reached out via email and did get a response. The response however was that they have no instructions yet. The offered to fully refund the cost in exchange for making an installation video if I wanted to.

Net net is that I didn't feel like pulling everything apart to figure out what harness it was intended to tap into, but I did install it and it works great.

I removed the least possible bits and pieces from the dash and decided to use an add-a-circuit to piggy back on the "cigarette lighter" fuse in the panel behind the glove box. Also found a got spot to catch a ground relatively near the console itself so only had to route the positive to the fuse panel.

Finding a decent way to route the wires was not difficult at all, it works perfectly, and you'd never know it didn't come with the car.

Great item if you don't mind some minor disassembly and finding your own way to wire it up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi!

Nice pics thanks fpr sharing, looks easy enough to DIY do you have any instructions to open up the center console?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Open the Center Console armrest, then grab the sides of the console and pull straight up...then work your way forward. Came up pretty easily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi.

I am also thinking of buying one for my Disco but, just one doubt. Have you checked that the charger is not consuming from the battery when the car is off/locked? It would be nasty to find the battery drained after few days due to this device.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This item actually plugs into the 5V USB next to the cup holder, which is not always hot. I just verified that the charger does not stay active after vehicle shuts down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This item actually plugs into the 5V USB next to the cup holder, which is not always hot. I just verified that the charger does not stay active after vehicle shuts down.
Does it block the USB port or it can be still use it by another device with the phone charger connected?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good question. I just tested that by having a phone on charging pad and another plugged into USB, both the new charger and the USB work simultaneously. The wiring is actually pretty well done to basically piggyback off the USB, not replace it. So far I’m pleased, it works just as advertised.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Rmutchler for the answer. I ordered mine 2 couple of weeks ago but the item is still in transit in China.

I watched the youtube video uploaded by Lockdown where it seems there is an existing power cable hidden under the armrest, however in other posts it is like an adaptor is required to have the charger powered. Is that adaptor required or that power cable is in the car already just waiting for pluging?

BR,
Ventura.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi.

I am also thinking of buying one for my Disco but, just one doubt. Have you checked that the charger is not consuming from the battery when the car is off/locked? It would be nasty to find the battery drained after few days due to this device.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Rmutchler for the answer. I ordered mine 2 couple of weeks ago but the item is still in transit in China.

I watched the youtube video uploaded by Lockdown where it seems there is an existing power cable hidden under the armrest, however in other posts it is like an adaptor is required to have the charger powered. Is that adaptor required or that power cable is in the car already just waiting for pluging?

BR,
Ventura.
The wiring that comes with the charger has everything you need. You basically unplug the USB power, taking what you unplugged and plug that into the new wiring harness which then plugs back into your USB...then the 3rd end runs to charger. Simple hook up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

I finally got my device, in a couple of weeks.
Have a look at the content of the package, it is coming with everything as expected. The bad thing is that I ordered it to be shipped to Spain but now I am not there so I have to wait again for the finall installation but the things look fine.
charger.jpg

Regards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts