Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post as a new disco sport member, and i wanted to share a quick & easy DIY.

My 2016 fuji white disco sport came with the black contrast roof but silver emblems. :|

my original plan was to either purchase new black badge and slap it on or get them professionally painted but i didn't feel like dropping close to $400 for a simple mod like that.

This was my first time using plasti dip and i was pretty skeptical at first but it turned out sick!

all you need is
- 1 cans of plasti dip $6 at your local hardware store ( got mine at home depot
- blue painters tape
- newspaper
-alcohol wipe

first i cleaned the surface with some alcohol wipes and Qtips for the edges.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 coats total

- first i cleaned the surface with some alcohol wipes and Qtips for the edges.
- masked off the surrounding with blue painters tape, leave about an inch around the badge with paint exposed
- masked off the rest of the area with newspaper
- 1st coat, spray a very light coat
- 2nd coat, spray from the top angle
- 3rd coat, spray from the bottom angle
- 4th coat, get a full coverage spray
- make sure to give is about 20mins to dry in between coats
- on the 4th coat i let it sit for about 1.5 hours
- once completely dry, carefully peel the pasti dip
- for pieces inside the letters, i used a toothpick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

That looks really good!

Forgive my ignorance but I have never used this stuff before. Can you tell me how come that it doesn't peel off the letters when you peel the rest off!

Also is it weather resistant? I am in the uk and it's raining for most of the year! Would it start to chip off do you think?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice Job. From the photos's it looks like you can't tell the difference between the factory coated ones verses yours. Once again nice job and thanks for sharing the tip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

That looks really good!

Forgive my ignorance but I have never used this stuff before. Can you tell me how come that it doesn't peel off the letters when you peel the rest off!

Also is it weather resistant? I am in the uk and it's raining for most of the year! Would it start to chip off do you think?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tony
this would be good to know....how do you peel off, but not peel off the letters????

·
Registered
11 Posts
May be weaker at the creases? I watched several videos online and it seems to just peel off that way. I ended up ordering the black pack instead due to WAF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts