Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting 2017 Disco Sport. Some questions if you don't mind.

1. Tried a 2015 on a test drive when they first came out. Lots of Turbo Lag and actually a rough ride compared to the LR 2 I had. Some other oddities with how the engine behaved. I read here there were software changes for the engine. Would the 2017 behave a bit different than the 2015?

2. Looking at running this in Denver area and then taking it to the mountains. Since its a turbo it seems it should not lose much HP but anyone have experience with this and does it have enough power to pass slow cars on a mountain pass?

3. Extended warranty, worth it?

4. Anything to watch out for? Any accessories that are must have?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Good questions.

1. The early 2015-2016 models did have the lag due to a powertrain software and engine fuel-air mix ratio that was geared for heavy towing. Since then, the recent updates changed the powertrain and engine behavior immensely. I love my DS now - drives like my very beloved and retired 2001 BMW X5 first generation road magnet crossover. You will love the standard torque vectoring in the car - goes around corners on acceleration/power turn like it was supermagnet wheels.

2. Passing cars on grades well that depends on the speed you want to pass at. At low speeds, the turbo kicks in and easily passes. But at higher speeds, you have to shift to sport (S) mode to get the RPM up and shift point down. The DS is really made for towing so it's power appears to be in the low to mid range speeds. 4 Cylinder engine does quite well but not up to the task of 6 bangers...

3. Extended warranty if you are planning on keeping it past the 50k miles. The factory warranty should take care of any issues that show during the first years of ownership. I'd only get an extended warranty if it was a used DS.

4. Most of the little quirks and bugs seemed to be worked out on the newer 2017. As for options, get the blind side monitoring for safety, active cruise control if you plan on long drives, and upgraded audio package. I have the 3rd row option for little kids to transport from ball games and my favorite: climate comfort package for heated and cooling seats which I use every day.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not see active cruise on any of the ones in my area. Is this a dealer installable option?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry, meant the Active Lane Keep Assist and Driver Fatigue which steers your car in your lane while driving distance on cruise control.

I wish I had that feature - when I drive distances....

The other option that I wish mine came with is: Active Driveline & Adaptive Dynamics.
Active Driveline is able to disconnect the front and rear axles during normal driving while still having 4WD ability is very nice.
Adaptive Dynamics is a very neat ride dynamics option using Magneride shocks to stiffen or soften the ride depending on the terrain.
I had a chance to see that in operation in a Cadillac and Corvette which were equipped with this very expensive option - made the ride very nice depending on the terrain and driving style.

·
Registered
84 Posts
what does active drive line look like i nthe 4x4i menu?

I have this icon of a lock on the center diff area that locks when stopped then unlocks when driving?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts