Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Disco Sport with 110,000 miles. 2.0L Turbo gas engine. Check engine light came on. P2187 - System too Lean at Idle Bank 1. It sputters for maybe 5 seconds on a cold start, but other than that there are no issues. No power loss or acceleration problems. I can't seem to figure out what is causing the issue though or find much information on this particular engine.

First step was to add a can of Royal Purple fuel system cleaner. Waited a few tanks and added Seafoam. Neither made much of a difference. Cleared my codes and it came back on 2 days later. I've checked all of my hoses to make sure I don't have any pinholes letting too much air in. I took off the Intake Manifold and cleaned out all of the buildup there. I did notice that I had a little oil in my air intake pipe when I removed it. I cleaned it off and reassembled everything.

Reading blogs on other LR models and engines with P2187 codes, the PCV valve seems to be a common issue with the diaphragm being torn. I can't seem to locate a PCV valve on this engine though. I paid for a bootleg "Workshop Manual", and it doesn't even mention one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2016 Disco Sport with 110,000 miles. 2.0L Turbo gas engine. Check engine light came on. P2187 - System too Lean at Idle Bank 1. It sputters for maybe 5 seconds on a cold start, but other than that there are no issues. No power loss or acceleration problems. I can't seem to figure out what is causing the issue though or find much information on this particular engine.

First step was to add a can of Royal Purple fuel system cleaner. Waited a few tanks and added Seafoam. Neither made much of a difference. Cleared my codes and it came back on 2 days later. I've checked all of my hoses to make sure I don't have any pinholes letting too much air in. I took off the Intake Manifold and cleaned out all of the buildup there. I did notice that I had a little oil in my air intake pipe when I removed it. I cleaned it off and reassembled everything.

Reading blogs on other LR models and engines with P2187 codes, the PCV valve seems to be a common issue with the diaphragm being torn. I can't seem to locate a PCV valve on this engine though. I paid for a bootleg "Workshop Manual", and it doesn't even mention one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Other Possible solutions I've found:

Spark Plugs
O2 Sensors
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Pump

I'm out of warranty, so I don't want to go item by item wasting money replacing each one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In addition to what you mentioned, you could also add vacuum leak to the list. A small vacuum leak can cause a lean condition at idle but not at higher engine speeds.

I wouldn't just shoot the parts shotgun at it either. Replacing all that stuff will be expensive and still might not fix your problem. It'll be cheaper to take it to a good mechanic and let them diagnose and fix what's actually wrong. This really isn't a problem you're going to fix in your garage without the right diagnostic tools and knowledge.

EDIT: You could probably take spark plugs and fuel pump off your list of likely problems too. Bad plugs would more likely give you a rich condition. A fuel pump going out would probably be able to flow enough fuel at idle and not at higher rpm.

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
606 Posts
Good advise from NVRover. I wish he would tell my grandson that as well LOL

But if you are determined the engine is a Ford Ecoboost

1 - 4 of 4 Posts