Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently leased a barebones '17 Disco Sport, black-on-black with only the cold weather package. We had previously owned a '90 Range Rover and a '00 Range Rover; we kept each for 140k-plus miles. Got the Disco Sport after Audi bought back our A3 TDI after their diesel scam––not going back to VW/Audi ever, even though I loved the TDI for quite a while. We mainly considered the Disco Sport and the Mercedes GLC. Hated the directional-like gear selector on the Benz, and also knew from experience that nothing compares with a Rover in deep snow or off-road. (We're in the Northeast, on a small farm or at the beach.) Plus the Disco Sport has much more loading space and to me is kind of perfect-looking: sleek, trim, not gaudy. We've had it a month now and love it. Nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I too bought a barebones '17 Disco Sport (black on black) back in November right before Audi bought our A3 TDI back. Mine doesn't even have cold weather package but I am happy for what I paid as I am very cheap.
There are a few things I do miss such as HD radio, moonroof and heated seats. I am also noticing some squeaks coming from the dashboard but I have accepted them as British quirks.
So far trouble free 2400 miles and averaging 20/25 mpgs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, another former A3 TDI owner/buyback survivor! I loved my TDI for most of my ownership, but last summer it suffered an engine/computer meltdown (on an interstate bridge) that took two months and almost $10K to fix (luckily I had an extended warranty, so it cost me only $100). That plus the diesel scam (and frustrations with the buyback process) ended that love affair. It always bothered me I couldn't get the TDI with quattro; that made it much less than perfect in snow, heavy rain etc. Plus (as I said in my earlier post) I'd owned two Range Rovers that were amazing in snow, sand, etc. and just fun. I deliberate kept the options on both my TDI and my Disco Sport to a minimum––I don't want or need all the high-tech stuff, and I still get all the benefits of the model for $5k, $10K or even $15K less than many are paying. I did get the cold pacj on the TDI and the Disco––well worth it in both cases. I loved the windshield de-ice function on my previous Rovers and already have used it a few times on my month-old Disco.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Curious to hear more about your thoughts on the GLC. We also considered the GLC before we went for the DS. Just found the GLC to be too small with bland styling, cramped interior and too high a price for what was offered. Still, you see a lot more GLCs on the road than Discos. At least here in Toronto. I like the exclusivity of the DS, but I'm always wondering what draws people to competing cars such as the GLC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks. As for the GLC, I knew I needed to replace my A3 TDI, that I wanted 4x4/all-wheel-drive (for snow, off-road etc.) and relatively high-end (for comfort etc.), and that I didn't want to spend a crazy amount (I've still never paid more than $40K U.S. for a vehicle). There wasn't much choice, really. VW/Audi were out (never again after dieselgate), I've never liked the bubble-styling of the Lexus/Infiniti/Acura crossovers, and I prefer vehicles that aren't dime-a-dozen or cheap-feeling (ruling out Toyota Highlander etc.). That pretty much left the Disco Sport, the GLC and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (we already have a Wrangler Unlimited and like it, but it's on the very rugged side). The GLC had a new design going for it, but the design to me seemed too swoopy or dramatic (hard to explain), and it felt almost too luxurious and "precious" inside (and out) for how I like to use a vehicle. The GLC drove very well, but I thought what while it would be good on plowed roads it wouldn't be nearly as good as the Disco Sport in unplowed/nasty situations––we have a quarter-mile-long gravel driveway, and live about an hour outside of NYC. I drove our previous Range Rovers through everything and anything--including 18 to 20 inches of snow––without the slightest issue. The three final things convinced me against the GLC: 1) that weird gear selector I mentioned, 2) the fact that in the showroom they had to bring out a battery charger to open the rear hatch, and 3) I would have to order a GLC (and wait I think it was six to eight weeks) to get the barebones one I would want with the right exterior/interior colors, and I needed to turn in my TDI. As for the Grand Cherokee, I didn't want to put all my vehicle eggs in one basket. We had an engine issue a couple of years ago with our Wrangler (it got fixed under warranty, but still) and the Grand Cherokee has the same engine. Plus there are Grand Cherokees everywhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Was it price/"dime a dozen" that made you rule out BMW? We were close to getting the X3, but the fact that it's an ageing model (new one next year) and that you see one on every corner made us rule it out. Really liked the diesel, though.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Glad you did not choose the GLC. The Land Rover and the Jeeps have the best 4WD traction systems hand down!

Ever since AWD systems have gotten cheaper and cheaper, I have seen many manufacturers cutting corners by using part time on demand AWD systems with clutch packs on FWD cars.... I have had a couple of BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Mercedes, and 1 Acura with AWD but they could not travel well in slippery conditions with large breakovers....

Try finding an AWD/4WD vehicle that is working 100% of the time and still be able to take on corners on power turns without losing grip!

When I took my test drive on the Discovery, the salesperson heard my complaints about cheap AWD systems and said "take that next left turn and accelerate into the turn without touching the brakes". I did just that fearing the wheels would give loose and slide into the curb or worse flip over - NOPE not the Discovery, it took the turn as if it was fun.

The salesperson said "Torque Vectoring + 4WD".
That was what took to make the sale!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, X3's (and X5's) are pretty common where we live. And to me, the X3 isn't a very attractive vehicle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Glad you did not choose the GLC. The Land Rover and the Jeeps have the best 4WD traction systems hand down!

Ever since AWD systems have gotten cheaper and cheaper, I have seen many manufacturers cutting corners by using part time on demand AWD systems with clutch packs on FWD cars.... I have had a couple of BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Mercedes, and 1 Acura with AWD but they could not travel well in slippery conditions with large breakovers....

Try finding an AWD/4WD vehicle that is working 100% of the time and still be able to take on corners on power turns without losing grip!

When I took my test drive on the Discovery, the salesperson heard my complaints about cheap AWD systems and said "take that next left turn and accelerate into the turn without touching the brakes". I did just that fearing the wheels would give loose and slide into the curb or worse flip over - NOPE not the Discovery, it took the turn as if it was fun.

The salesperson said "Torque Vectoring + 4WD".
That was what took to make the sale!
This is true! Especially noticeable on slick roads. The Disco pulls itself nicely through turns, no front end push that I can notice. It really does drive well on dru roads as well. Great traction.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I totally agree about Land Rovers and Jeeps having the best traction. A lot of people mistakenly thinking all 4WD/AWD systems are equal.
having owned lots of 4WD vehicles..this is true. I like basic 4WD vehicles most, just put it in 4WD and go. AWD and selectable terrain 4WD systems Ive experienced are NOT created equal. LR has it down by far the best. Jeep is getting into selectable systems in some of their models and they are good too but not quite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently leased a barebones '17 Disco Sport, black-on-black with only the cold weather package. We had previously owned a '90 Range Rover and a '00 Range Rover; we kept each for 140k-plus miles. Got the Disco Sport after Audi bought back our A3 TDI after their diesel scam––not going back to VW/Audi ever, even though I loved the TDI for quite a while. We mainly considered the Disco Sport and the Mercedes GLC. Hated the directional-like gear selector on the Benz, and also knew from experience that nothing compares with a Rover in deep snow or off-road. (We're in the Northeast, on a small farm or at the beach.) Plus the Disco Sport has much more loading space and to me is kind of perfect-looking: sleek, trim, not gaudy. We've had it a month now and love it. Nice to meet you all!
Hi, Nice to meet y'all too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts