Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this helps out some of the DIY people..... Hi all just purchase certified 2019 DS SE. With 2.0l engenium petrol turbo engine. I am an avid DIYr so I started to check on the oil change. I was surprised to see LR recommends 15k miles between changes on the DS. That seems extreme for an engine especially a turbo. Most synthetics are good for around 10k miles. I have owned tubo engines in the past and never went past 6k miles between changes with very good synthetic oil. My son would change his GTI turbo at 3k intervals, but he was very hard on the car since it was very modified. I decided on 5-6k mile intervals. I started to research the oil. I found out 0x20 is required meeting specific LR specs which mentions Castrol oil. It seems castrol has some type of agreement with LR. All the Castrol oil information is below. I decided to search for the Land Rover oil spec of STJLR.51.5122. I found liquid moly special tech LR and Motul oil specific 5122 meet all the specs and come in 5 liter containers About 50 bucks. It's takes about 7 + liters, so 2 5 liter bottles with extra for next change. I purchased the oil filter cap wrench at autozone for 8 bucks. I already have a 12v fluid extraction pump I used on my previous landrover LR2 and my mercedes. Oil filter purchased is from autohauzAZ MANN oil filter HU6024z. LR part# LR073669. As far as reseting the service indicator, there are a few blogs out there ..worst case I buy the the icarsoft tool.
I plan on using the extraction pump, then pull the skid plate and oil plug to see how much residual oil is left. Oil change was super easy on 2019 since the filter acces has been improved on back left side of engine. I used my oil extractor . Then pulled the skid plate and check for any residual.. minimal really nothing. So from now on oil extraction method. Did not have to reset oil change yet because last oil Change was when car was purchased from dealer at 35000 mile. I changed the oil at 41000 miles.
Total cost oil+Filter 115.00. This oil is expensive. Dealer charges 450.00 and LR shop quoted 220.00.

Castrol oil info: Recommended for Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.0L 4-cyl is 0W-20 oil meeting Jaguar/Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122.
Castrol EDGE Professional 0W-20 EC meets Jaguar/Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 and Jaguar/Land Rover STJLR.03.5006 oil .
Castrol EDGE 0W-20 EC (New Part # 15DAA4), covering Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 and STJLR.03.5006 oil specifications replaced Castrol EDGE 0W-20 E in the retail space late last year. The part number for Castrol EDGE 0W-20 E for a Case of 6 x 1 US Quart Bottles was 15B4B1.

· Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
842 Posts
I have been using Motul Eco energy for my 2016 doing a yearly oil change (do for one in 4 weeks) . The only oil that Castrol recommends for the engine is the Professional oil according to the web site.

Have driven a turbo car since early 80's and always followed the recommended oil changes, with no problem. You can go to any quick lube outlet and bring your own oil and save yourselves lots of time.

· Registered
2019 Discovery Sport HSE
6 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to start doing 1 oil change between the recommended service intervals. I'll pull the plate and drain. I bought my petrol 2019 DS new in 2021. 20k on the clock. It's been good and had 1 service. It's about due~
Greg

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm going to start doing 1 oil change between the recommended service intervals. I'll pull the plate and drain. I bought my petrol 2019 DS new in 2021. 20k on the clock. It's been good and had 1 service. It's about due~
Greg
Sounds good.. sounds like you already did 1x service . Personally LR recommends at 15k I have never let any of my cars go that long. I remember on my Land Rover lr2 . I could not find a Wix filter at the time and used STP. I noted on my next oil change at 6k that freckin stp oil filter had collapsed. This can happen. I can't imagine going to 15k and putting the engine at risk. You hear about timing chain noise wear. Valve noise, pistion ring blow back. For me I will spend the extra few bucks DYI oil Change more often for piece of mind. ... just makes sense

1 - 5 of 5 Posts