Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2016 discovery sport and if we leave it for a couple of days i.e. over the weekend it wont start.
When we press the start button, the instrument panel lights up and the needles rotate in the clocks and a slight whirring / clicking noise and then nothing. The garage has checked it couldn't find anything but after running a diagnostic check it started , the same after the RAC checked everything, didn't know what was wrong but hot wired the starter and it started. It then runs and starts perfectly until we leave it again for a few days. I am desperate because it keeps happening and is stuck on the drive. I have fitted new battery and the charge is full even after the weekend. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't have a wiring diagram for a 2016 but you'll probably need one if you want to try to fix it yourself. In most cars the computer controls a relay that turns the starter on. The computer needs to see certain things like the brake pedal being depressed before it'll turn on that relay. When the shop hot wired it, they probably bypassed all that stuff and confirmed your starter is good but in doing that, accidentally "fixed" your intermittent problem. I think a decent shop wouldn't have given the car back to you (unless you asked for it back) because they know they didn't fix it. Chasing down these intermittent issues can be frustrating and time consuming but doing it without a wiring diagram, some knowledge, and a few troubleshooting tools is impossible. So if you don't have those things, I'd send it back to the shop, and maybe a different shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a wiring diagram for a 2016 but you'll probably need one if you want to try to fix it yourself. In most cars the computer controls a relay that turns the starter on. The computer needs to see certain things like the brake pedal being depressed before it'll turn on that relay. When the shop hot wired it, they probably bypassed all that stuff and confirmed your starter is good but in doing that, accidentally "fixed" your intermittent problem. I think a decent shop wouldn't have given the car back to you (unless you asked for it back) because they know they didn't fix it. Chasing down these intermittent issues can be frustrating and time consuming but doing it without a wiring diagram, some knowledge, and a few troubleshooting tools is impossible. So if you don't have those things, I'd send it back to the shop, and maybe a different shop.
Thankyou for those pointers, i think i have to try another garage, thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just thought i would ask, the RAC engineer said the starter is getting power ,but the solenoid is not activating! my question is, could it be the relay? and can the starter be repaired? thanks john

·
Registered
59 Posts
Solenoids are most often integrated with the starter so you may have to replace the whole starter. There used to be shops that would rebuild your starter/solenoid but they're harder to find these days. Based on your symptoms, the relay or solenoid sticking would be my first suspects but there are a lot of possibilities and I'm not a fan of just throwing new parts at a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One thing you can try when it won't start is tapping on the relay and starter solenoid. Sometimes that will be enough to unstick them. If you find tapping on one of those makes it start, you'll have a pretty good idea what part needs to be replaced. Another trick with relays is to see if there's an identical one nearby in the fuse box. Often there will be a few of them controlling different things. You can swap the start relay with another one and if the car starts, it's probably the relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.