Discovery Sport Forum banner

Noise Over Speed Bumps

11K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  haider423 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a DS 2015 SE Si4. I bought it from the dealership as certified approved vehicle. The car runs very well and i like it. However, there is this one thing that is bothering me and that is when i cross any speed bump with front tires touching the speed bump at the same time there is a ticking noise coming from the front suspension (tick-tick) feels like when the spring is pressed there is one tick and when it is released there is one tick. There is no noise when i cross the speed bump diagonally. I have showed this to the dealership and they also experienced this but couldn't find the problem. They have said that they have check another DS and it also gave the same ticking noise. They also informed that they are asking JLR for technical references. So i am wondering if anyone here has experienced the same, is it normal or what repair methods you adopted to rectify this.

Hope i am able to make you understand the problem. please let me know about it.

thanks.

#5 ·
I would side with the OP.... any abnormal behavior should be investigated before it leads to major repairs or simply there is something that should be resolved.
If I buy a brand new car (no matter if it is $30k or $150k ) - I would expect it to work as it should..... would hate to know that mine makes noises and clicks when somebody else's vehicle runs with none of such issues...

I would also call it a knit picking had he bought it on auction for $25k as a post accident / repaired special.....

#7 ·
Hi All
I have also posted the same on this forum and they advised to get the mud cap checked with the TOPIx bulletin. I went to the JLR but the noise is not gone 100%. I again tested 03 vehicles same disco sport from their shop and all of them has the same noise. the sound feel like the clicking of mouse only slightly amplified. JLR say that this is the characteristic of the vehicle and is normal. i'm confused.

#13 ·
Hi All,

I have a DS 2015 SE Si4. I bought it from the dealership as certified approved vehicle. The car runs very well and i like it. However, there is this one thing that is bothering me and that is when i cross any speed bump with front tires touching the speed bump at the same time there is a ticking noise coming from the front suspension (tick-tick) feels like when the spring is pressed there is one tick and when it is released there is one tick. There is no noise when i cross the speed bump diagonally. I have showed this to the dealership and they also experienced this but couldn't find the problem. They have said that they have check another DS and it also gave the same ticking noise. They also informed that they are asking JLR for technical references. So i am wondering if anyone here has experienced the same, is it normal or what repair methods you adopted to rectify this.

Hope i am able to make you understand the problem. please let me know about it.

thanks.

#15 ·
@Markf124 Yes same here when I go over a speed bump around 3mph I hear a click sometimes 2 clicks on the rebound. My DS is going in for a 96k service and I have asked LR to investigate at the end of this month June. I'll post an update, I've done a lot of searching on this issue and it has been mentioned it can be the Suspension Caps becoming worn where their function would be to soundproof (isolate) Suspension noise??? If it is I'll let you know and what I paid.

#16 ·
@Markf124
So had the 96k major service, they found that the right hand side (drivers side) front spring was cracked/snapped at the top of the housing. As it is covered it was not necessary to change at that time (Circa £850+vat) main dealer price. Found a local garage do the whole thing including parts, labour and VAT for £265, result. The way they checked was to see if there was any play in the spring, there shouldn't be. Mine has on the driver side a very slight amount of movement which they put down to a cracked spring near the top. I haven't replaced the spring yet but will end of August and let you know if that resolves it. (There is a slight possibility it isn't the spring) I'll find out once changed.

#18 ·
Found this article that sounds like this may be the issue causing the clacking sound when going over speed bumps:-

SUSPENSION CRACKING NOISE LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SPORT CHECK LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SPORT SUSPENSION If you experience a suspension noise when you pass a speed bump on your Land Rover Discovery Sport, and it is categorized by a “clack” or cracking, it is highly possible that your suspension block is the cause of it. In fact, it may be the suspension cups, which, when they are out of date, have the rubber (silentblock) that acts as a buffer and shock absorber for the upper part of the suspension that no longer fulfils its role during small bumps that compress the suspensions. To examine if this is the problem that worries you, take a dented road and focus on the noise coming from your front axle as you pass over holes. If it is indeed the cups, think of replacing them quickly or you may ruin other parts and have to make more important vehicle repairs. Note: I am going to get my "cups" replaced and see if this resolves the issue. (Fig.8) Suspension Shock Absorber Mount Insulator, Upper.

#19 ·
I have a somewhat related issue with noises from the front suspension of my 2019 DS while passing over speed humps. Eibach lift springs were installed in July 2021 and they are a great addition but at some point after installation the fronts started making a KACHUNK noise when passing over a speed hump but only when the front suspension is wet. As soon as it dries out, no noise. Any ideas on what could be going on here?

#21 ·
Hello All,

I solved this problem myself, the dealership was not at all helpful. I also posted the cause and solution (what i did) in another forum with the same heading. below link you can find the solution. It was not at all the suspension, rather the internal wheel liner was touching / rubbing against the suspension arms on the left. So, I cut the corner of the plastic liner and solved the problem. below its the link to it.

Noise Over Speed Bumps

Further, I also came to know that TOPIx have also suggested similar solution of the problem after probably this post. :).
The TOPIX bulletin solution is also posted here.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.