Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get any voice guidance. In settings the voice guidance option is not highlighted to turn on. I can go to screen and adjust volume, but again no volume or voice. Otherwise the nav system works great. Don't know if another way to turn on voice, or if I need to contact dealer, thx

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
Voice guidance works great on my car, abet the default is to loud, but able to change the volume. The voice actually pronounces some of the odd sounding street names very close to actual name.
Voice warns me app 1KM from a turn when on the highway or if I have not made a turn in a while.

The only hiccup is the Voice Guidance will tell me to turn left or right and almost immediately it will repeat the command. Maybe she thinks I was not listening to her, much like my normal passenger LOL.

Other than the fact it seems to work opposite of the way my Garmin worked I am very happy with it. A little practise will help me with that.

One problem is the fact when you get software updates all your favourites, planned trips, and home are deleted.

·
Super Moderator
360 Posts
I tried with my car and I can turn it off and on again.

Navigation screen
Touch settings button
Yes to navigation
Scroll to Guidance
Several options

should be check for voice guidance. to turn it on.

I tried it with engine off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am able to enable/disable "Play Voice Guidance Prompts" on my system (and change male/female voice). Would you be able to upload a quick photo of what you're seeing on your Nav System?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The option for voice is not highlighted, so cannot do anything with it. I have tried to remove chip and reinstalling it. Have tried with car off and on. I will take a picture of it next time I am in the car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Easiest thing to do is take it to your dealer and show them the fault. They should be able to do a reset or update on the Nav System.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took pictures

I have tried everything all of you have suggested, and still no voice. I probably will have to call dealer, hopefully won't have to take in. Dealer is 2 hours away. I did take pictures. Thank you for your suggestions!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you

Thank you for your suggestions, it was the language. English UK, not US, switched it and walaa I now have a voice!!! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, what GMAN said ...

Go to SYSTEM SETTINGS > English (US)

Same thing happened to me (July 2016, purchased in California).

When I picked the car up, the voice was set to be a charming English lady. I thought that would be kinda appropriate. But I soon realised voice nav guidance was not working ... and checkbox to turn it on was greyed out ... unable to be changed.

Turns out, the system needs to be set to US voice for US maps to have voice guidance.

I found this out in a roundabout way - I had removed the SD card (inside middle console) so I could plug it into my computer and download a free update I'd read about. I figured this update might get the voice guidance working.

While the card was in my computer, I was snooping through the files ... and found in the Nav file (or something similar) that only US English, US Spanish and French (presumably for Canadian buyers) languages had been included. Therefore, I realized my UK English selection in the car was not supported by files on the SD card. So, not working.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow...that's weird.
I thought it would be cool to hear nice British accent and now I know I need to turn it back to American English.... I wish the voice guidance worked with either ...

M

·
0 Posts
kali998 - the nav volume may be way low. To access that volume control hit the "gears" button to the left of the display, select System from that menu, then select Volume Settings. The nav guidance volume control should be there. You can also change the nav guidance volume using the radio volume controls when the nav is giving directions (the volume bar at the top of the screen will turn from purple for radio to green for nav - you can also change call volume that way as well, it is blue).

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you don't have voice on Navigation, yes, the solution is to go into System and change from English (UK) to English (US). Then it starts talking to you. I was hoping for a charming English accent to guide me down the road, but it's not to be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts