Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered these in from the east coast (none in the west coast) from America's Tire:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 snow rated 255/55/18 tires for my Discovery Sport!

These will take me up some great wet, slushy, snowy, and icy roads this winter for skiing and fishing!

Plus these were at a terrific price - clearance priced @ $169 each plus $150 rebate so that made it easy.

It will be my winter tires and will be swapping out to the stock tires during the summer...

They are 2 width sizes larger than the stock tires so they do look a lot better - especially from the rear. They fill up the wheel well even better!

Same diameter so that means no worries about the speedometer accuracy...

New tires ride so much nicer! Thanks to DiscoDisco for the tire calculator that helped the search for a different sized tire without affecting the speedometer!

Check these aggressive photos out:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tyres look great. Really changes the stance of the DS.
Off topic - One thing I found is that the cast holes in the suspension arms are great spots for mud/sand to accumulate. A quick fix is to tape them up with gaffer tape (100mph tape or cloth tape whichever you call it!) I tried finding some rubber grommets but that turned into an epic with no result! Have fun offroading.

Reactions: 4sallypat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ordered these in from the east coast (none in the west coast) from America's Tire:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 snow rated 255/55/18 tires for my Discovery Sport!

These will take me up some great wet, slushy, snowy, and icy roads this winter for skiing and fishing!

Plus these were at a terrific price - clearance priced @ $169 each plus $150 rebate so that made it easy.

It will be my winter tires and will be swapping out to the stock tires during the summer...

They are 2 width sizes larger than the stock tires so they do look a lot better - especially from the rear. They fill up the wheel well even better!

Same diameter so that means no worries about the speedometer accuracy...

New tires ride so much nicer! Thanks to DiscoDisco for the tire calculator that helped the search for a different sized tire without affecting the speedometer!

Check these aggressive photos out:
My tires are 235/60R18 I am assuming that yours will be wider thus looking more aggressive?
Did you install 255/55/18 on the stock 235/50/18 rims?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tires are 235/60R18 I am assuming that yours will be wider thus looking more aggressive?
Did you install 255/55/18 on the stock 235/50/18 rims?
^
Yes, that is 100% correct.
Factory rims with Blizzak snow tires that are wider.

Did not go +1 on the aspect ratio to keep the speedometer and odometer accurate.
The difference in rotational distance is less than 2% which is negligible between the stock tires and the Blizzaks...

I love these tires because the tire sipes grips snow well without putting chains on.

Last winter, I had to carry chains but never had to put them on - every time, I would tell the state police officer at the chain checkpoint that I have 4WD and snow rated tires - got to go thru without putting on chains.:laugh:

Then I see other cars that have AWD or 4WD without the winter tires - they were unprepared and have either summer or all seasons - they had to put on the chains which was sad....

Good to be prepared with the correct tires for the area you are in!:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks great with the wider width. Looking to get a set of Blizzaks as well but thinking of sticking to stock size 235/55/19 as I have the 19" rims.
Do you worry about the constant mount/dismount of the tires on the same rim? Can't decide if I want to get a separate set of rims or not as not many options out there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great with the wider width. Looking to get a set of Blizzaks as well but thinking of sticking to stock size 235/55/19 as I have the 19" rims.
Do you worry about the constant mount/dismount of the tires on the same rim? Can't decide if I want to get a separate set of rims or not as not many options out there.
I reuse the same rims with 2 set of tires due to costs.
I gave it thought about having 2 sets of wheels...
:|
If you have the money to get a separate set of rims so that you have 2 separate sets that is the best.
However, keep in mind that buying 4 sets of TPMS sensors may put the price way over budget.
Last I checked a set of OE TPMS was $500. :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I reuse the same rims with 2 set of tires due to costs.
I gave it thought about having 2 sets of wheels...
:|
If you have the money to get a separate set of rims so that you have 2 separate sets that is the best.
However, keep in mind that buying 4 sets of TPMS sensors may put the price way over budget.
Last I checked a set of OE TPMS was $500. :eek:
Oh I hadn't considered the cost of TPMS sensors for the new set of wheels! Those sensors are pretty expensive! If the wheels don't have them, will our cars just throw an error? Can it be disabled in the menu?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you don't get the TPMS, there will be a constant error message popping up on the instrument cluster.
I guess you can get used to that ?

I don't know if you can disable it but you will have to silence the info message each time you start the car.

Personally, the TPMS is important to me as I rely on having properly inflated tires for safety.

As an alternative to the TPMS, you can get a set of run flat Winter tires so that if the pressure fails, it can still be driven - Goodyear and Pirelli has winter RFTs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With other cars I have had winter Rims minus 2 with winter tires without TPMS. I would swap out the summer combo for winter combo and vice versa. I never looked but the savings might pay for TPMS. Or beer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Everyone

I have an HSE with 19" rims, but just bought a set of 18" OEM rims that im going to put new winter tires on.. Do i need need to go to ___-60-r18 or go ___-55-r19 to keep the speedo reading correctly?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use this: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

My winter tires are +2 width sizes up but the overall rotational distance is about equal to the OEM tires thus keeping the speedometer showing accurate speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Everyone

I have an HSE with 19" rims, but just bought a set of 18" OEM rims that im going to put new winter tires on.. Do i need need to go to ___-60-r18 or go ___-55-r19 to keep the speedo reading correctly?
I assume your -55r19 was a typo as you have a set of 18" rims, you cannot mount 19" tires on there. Use the calculator 4sallypat posted. The stock size for 18" on the DS is 235/60/R18. I'll be going down to this size as well for winters. Just finalizing on my tire selection and rim choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ya it was a typo... :) I went with Michelin x-ice... 245-60-r18.... I really like Blizzaks, have had several sets but i prefer the Michelin road manners on dry pavement better. Either tire is a solid choice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts