Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me thank the current members as I have been following the forum and appreciate all the information, insights and opinions shared about the DS.

Over the last few months we have been on the new vehicle journey. We have been a Ford, Chevy, GMC household for a long time (our garage stalls right now have an Edge, TrailBlazer and Corvette) but their current crossover-suv lineup is less than impressive. Never considered a LR/RR before but the DS has our attention. We did the test drive about a week ago and it quickly moved to the top of the list. Also looked at the BMW, Audi, Lexus and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I have a few questions and maybe even an opinion or two I will be sharing in the appropriate threads.

More to come later.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to ask questions, but also remember to use the search function and key in some key words to see if someone else had the same question.

Most forums you will find will say - "use the search feature" because some users are veterans and the same question keeps popping up...
I am a member of a BMW forum for over 10 years and as a seasoned user, I always say that too....

So if you moving up from American brand cars, going into a British / European brand takes some getting used to....

Do continue with your test drives to find out what you like.
If you want to see a short summary of my test drives before deciding on the DS, take a look at post #3 :
http://www.discoverysport.net/forum/land-rover-discovery-sport-general-discussion/4465-hindsight-would-you-do-again.html

Everyone here that has the DS, you will find are relatively new as the model was just released last year.
I think the oldest / most mileage user is under 20,000 miles so not a lot of long term info yet.

I have started to see a few DS on the road here in Southern California - the car capital of the USA - but still very rare.

This is my second LR product - I am still very shy / hesitant with the brand as I had a negative experience with a used LR3 years ago.....

Feel free to ask away!

Again, welcome!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome! BTW I am the 20k mile DS and my avatar was taken in front of the Caribou Gun Club near Le Seuer, Minnesota on one of my many trips this year.

Many happy trails!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome fellow Minnesotan!

The rarity factor in MN is huge since there's only the one dealership in the state, which is cool if you're looking for something different. Good luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4sallypat- I did read your summary on the other thread. I plan to share my opinions on the models we researched and test drove which is pretty close to your assessment although for us the off-road capabilities was/is a factor which might be a different angle than others. I don't plan on driving across a river in Iceland (reference to the endless YouTube videos showing the DS doing this) but we do need a vehicle that can handle a variety of road conditions.

LRD- Caribou Gun Club is a nice place but a long ways from Texas. I live in the Twin Cities and belong to the Horse & Hunt Club so have not been down to Caribou in a long time. Hope you enjoyed your visit to MN and driving around in the DS.

Petcha-in one of your pics I noticed the BMW in the garage. Assuming that is your other vehicle? I didn't think it was allowed to have an X3 and a DS sharing the same garage ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
4sallypat- I did read your summary on the other thread. I plan to share my opinions on the models we researched and test drove which is pretty close to your assessment although for us the off-road capabilities was/is a factor which might be a different angle than others. I don't plan on driving across a river in Iceland (reference to the endless YouTube videos showing the DS doing this) but we do need a vehicle that can handle a variety of road conditions.

LRD- Caribou Gun Club is a nice place but a long ways from Texas. I live in the Twin Cities and belong to the Horse & Hunt Club so have not been down to Caribou in a long time. Hope you enjoyed your visit to MN and driving around in the DS.

Petcha-in one of your pics I noticed the BMW in the garage. Assuming that is your other vehicle? I didn't think it was allowed to have an X3 and a DS sharing the same garage ;)
Yep, that's my wife's car. They seem to get along alright :) I love German cars, but the DS won me over!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yep, that's my wife's car. They seem to get along alright :) I love German cars, but the DS won me over!
Hey petcha, that's how I am too!

I have a BMW X5 next to the DS too...

Loved BMWs for over 15 years now but lately, their cars are not very driver enthusiastic anymore...

The current BMWs have gotten soft and numb which takes the fun out.

I think I have the last of the driver's BMW - 2013 E70 (X5) and love the diesel power with the old fashioned hydraulic steering rack.... The new X5 are just awful - and I am not looking forward to it....

The DS did win me over the BMWs - I love the DS ride - makes me smile every time!>:D

Next year when it is time to turn in the BMW, I will look at the Range Rover Diesel or the Porsche Cayenne Diesel .....:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Renny15:

You should've come down to Caribou for the FITASC Grand Prix and World Champs! Great event and had a great time. Caribou did a fabulous job.

For 2016 my plans don't have me coming back up your way but me and the Disco will be headed back to Illinois, Oklahoma and South Carolina with a new destination in Arizona and loads of trips within Texas. If I make all these trips as scheduled my guess is I may hit 50k miles by the end of next year (maybe much sooner if possible trips to NJ and/or PA happen).

As for Minnesota being a long way from Texas, heck, its only a little further North than El Paso is West... Anyway, the LRDS makes it a very pleasant trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts