Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Texas.

On friday I purchased a 2016 Discovery Sport HSE, after looking at them for months, I finally pulled the trigger. Took out out on the trail for a weekend camping trip about 12 hours after I signed the paperwork. Mostly very rutted gravel roads, a few hills, and a 1-foot deep river crossing across the top of a waterfall. No problems at all, even on street tires.

So far, I LOVE this vehicle. I'm taking it to Colorado in a few weeks for some light overlanding and lots of camping.

Before then she's getting new A/T tires and a Front Runner roof rack (if I can find one in stock)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
order placed for:

265/60/R18 General Grabber APT tires
Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack + axe bracket & shovel bracket

wasting no time

·
Registered
18 Posts
G'day Spectre08,

It's great to see you enjoying your Disco sport so much already. Keep us updated with the modifications/upgrades they may inspire me to purchase some for myself. Best of luck with the Colorado trip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spectre, I have the same rack with ratcheting bracket and ARB awning fitted. Works great. It's a little time consuming to mount but fits perfect. I had about 250lbs on it for a trip to La Paz Baja last Nov with no issues. I also added Baja Designs 30in light bar to the front that I mounted under the rack.

I mainly use the rack for surf and SUP boards. The ratcheting bracket is perfect for a SUP paddle.

Oh, pictures? Sure, I'm glad you asked.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spectre, I have the same rack with ratcheting bracket and ARB awning fitted. Works great. It's a little time consuming to mount but fits perfect. I had about 250lbs on it for a trip to La Paz Baja last Nov with no issues. I also added Baja Designs 30in light bar to the front that I mounted under the rack.

I mainly use the rack for surf and SUP boards. The ratcheting bracket is perfect for a SUP paddle.

Oh, pictures? Sure, I'm glad you asked. View attachment 7517 View attachment 7518
View attachment 7519
yeah, I think I've seen every picture of your truck that's been posted on the internet, it's one of the reasons I want the FrontRunner. It's also one of the reasons I ended up going with the DS instead of my other options.

UNFORTUNATELY, FrontRunner ran out of them, and called to tell me it wouldn't be able to ship until the middle to end of October. Which presents a problem, because I need roof storage for my 2 week trip through the Colorado Rockies starting on October 7th.

So for now I cancelled the order and worked with RhinoRack to get a set of crossbars and their largest XTray. It won't carry as much weight as the FrontRunner platform, but it's 1/3 the cost (since I have an enormous discount with RhinoRack and can buy at cost). So it'll do for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@Spectre08 Just saw this post, sorry for the late reply. Well, thanks. I have more pictures of course but don't want to "break the internet". lol

Sorry to hear you couldn't get the Frontrunner rack in time. It is good. Likewise, I see a lot of RhinoRack around on here and have heard good things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Spectre08 Just saw this post, sorry for the late reply. Well, thanks. I have more pictures of course but don't want to "break the internet". lol

Sorry to hear you couldn't get the Frontrunner rack in time. It is good. Likewise, I see a lot of RhinoRack around on here and have heard good things.
I have been considerably less than impressed with the RhinoRack, and can’t wait to get home and scrape together the money to order a FrontRunner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. What is about the RhinoRack that you don't like? I'm happy with the Frontrunner but have no basis for comparison.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear about your experience. What is about the RhinoRack that you don't like? I'm happy with the Frontrunner but have no basis for comparison.
1. it's too narrow, and the space is very inefficient. The sides of the cage slope inward on the sides, which robs you of a good 2-3 inches on both sides.
2. it's too tall, because it sits ontop of crossbars sitting ontop of factory roof rails, it sticks up WAY above the car. It's not too high to reach, but it's pretty unsightly compared to the sleek, low frontrunner platform
3. the capacity is horrible. Again, unlike the frontrunner, which uses it's own rails, the xtray is limited by the capacity of crossbars on stock rails, so the most you can put up there is like 100lbs MAX, and you can forget about actually standing on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts