Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted in a bit as I've been a little disappointed. Was driving my 3 week old 2016 Disco Sport HSE on I81 North of Roanoke VA when the road was shut down to one lane for construction. Traffic was completely stopped as everyone was doing the merge thing. Well, apparently a Semi driver wasn't paying attention since you could see a half mile ahead that traffic was stopped and came barrelling down and couldn't stop in time. Saw that he was going to crush the car behind me so I tried to squeeze behind a semi in the other lane but he hit the car so hard behind me that it still catapulted into the rear end of my new vehicle. I will say that the Disco is built very well as she hit me very hard but it hardly shook me at all in the Disco. No airbag deployment but damage to the entire back. Luckily, no frame damage, just $7000 worth of muffler, rear bumper, and cosmetics. I'm glad I was able to move because if I didn't, I think the lady behind me would have been seriously injured or killed. Her car was crushed to the back seats but she was able to walk away. Bummed that I won't have my Disco for at least a couple of weeks but glad the lady is okay and I'm okay. The Disco is built very solidly and protected me really well in this collision. Just wanted the members to know but hope they never have to find out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Holy Cow! Cars can be easily fixed or replaced thanks to insurance but humans cannot. Glad you came out of that ok and nothing worse happened.

Odd that the airbags didn't deploy, I would assume they would during a crash.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, was surprised but I suspect that since there was no front or side impact that is why they didn't deploy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad you're ok... Always be aware on the road.
Cars can be fixed, people can't.

Disco is a solid car, show us some pics once it's all back and looking good as new! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@2Fly: So are you back on the road again (w/ the DS)?

No, not yet. They have ordered parts and once they come in, it will take 2 weeks to repair/paint. I only got to put 1700 miles on it but man does it drive nice on the highway.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Haven't posted in a bit as I've been a little disappointed. Was driving my 3 week old 2016 Disco Sport HSE on I81 North of Roanoke VA when the road was shut down to one lane for construction. Traffic was completely stopped as everyone was doing the merge thing. Well, apparently a Semi driver wasn't paying attention since you could see a half mile ahead that traffic was stopped and came barrelling down and couldn't stop in time. Saw that he was going to crush the car behind me so I tried to squeeze behind a semi in the other lane but he hit the car so hard behind me that it still catapulted into the rear end of my new vehicle. I will say that the Disco is built very well as she hit me very hard but it hardly shook me at all in the Disco. No airbag deployment but damage to the entire back. Luckily, no frame damage, just $7000 worth of muffler, rear bumper, and cosmetics. I'm glad I was able to move because if I didn't, I think the lady behind me would have been seriously injured or killed. Her car was crushed to the back seats but she was able to walk away. Bummed that I won't have my Disco for at least a couple of weeks but glad the lady is okay and I'm okay. The Disco is built very solidly and protected me really well in this collision. Just wanted the members to know but hope they never have to find out.
OMG! I'm glad everyone was OK!! Getting hit by a semi is often a end of life event. WOW! Glad you were looking out behind you!

You are right about the toughness of the DS. My wife was sitting still in a merge lane waiting to get on the expressway. An older..much older gentleman rear ended her at a good rate of speed. His entire front end was crushed and he had to be towed. The Disco basically had a smashed up exhaust and broken plastic and scuffed bumper. She was able to just drive it home, no problems.
Personally I was surprised how well it took the hit.

But you'll probably need to be prepared to be in a crappy rental for .....awhile. Parts are in the UK and will need to be shipped. It took a little over a month to get ours back. But it's good as new. Even better than new since they put a new rear plastic cowl on that didn't have that ugly home cut out of it. :laugh:

Here's our damage...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the semi hit the car behind me and she got sent in to my backend at a pretty high rate as well. Looks like I basically had the same damage as you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So update on my Disco, got it back today after waiting 6 weeks for a muffler. The body shop did an awesome job, fit and finish was outstanding and perfect paint job. Drove the car from Greenville SC to Birmingham AL and no rattles, squeaks, or shimmies. Car drove solidly, tracked perfectly and it was nice to have it back after 6 weeks in a rental.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice! So the collision was a blessing in disguise: the rattling/squeaking noises eventually got fixed. Enjoy and do take care!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Disco never had any issues with rattling before the accident so I was a little worried that after it might. It's still early as it only has 2000 miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts