Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also read the negative reviews on the engine and transmission but have not experienced anything like what has been described so far. Could be my driving style which is not aggressive, let's say smooth, does not bring out the problems. There is a;so tendency to think that whatever you have bought is, if not perfect, is good otherwise it reflects badly on your choice.. (especially if the thing you bought cost $50K).

We are leaving tomorrow for a trip from Northern CA to Idaho which will include a mix of road types and will try to provide objective comments after we return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just returned from a 2000 mile trip to Idaho from Northern California through parts of 5 states with a good part of it being two lane roads, some hilly. Made a real effort to get a feel for the engine and transmission and how they felt and performed.

Conclusion is that the drive-ability is very good, certainly better than the other three SUVs I have owned recently (Saab 94x, Nissan Murano, Nissan Xterra). In cruise control at 70 or so it never dropped more than two gears and always smoothly. Most of the time, even over Donner Pass it only shifted down one gear. Power was good, on a secondary road in Nevada I passed a truck, briskly, and looked down to see the needle on the 100mph marker. Not on purpose. Still very happy with the car and do not see the engine and transmission as a negative.

I also believe I understand the reviewers who were dissatisfied. If you look for it and pay attention there is a 1/4 to 1/3 second delay in acceleration. Not always detectable but definitely there, suspect this is turbo lag. If you are trying to accelerate rapidly you can also feel the downshift at close to the same time so you experience a couple of things happening, not all at once.. I also think that in those instances the downshift can occur just as the turbo is coming on resulting in a shot of power (feels good). Could also be that other high end SUVs, especially if they are not turbo, feel better/differently to these writers.

In the end I loved driving the car, and if I was not deliberately looking for problems, I did not notice them. Had a lot of comments about the car and still think it is great looking.

Interested in comments from other owners.

Ray

1 - 2 of 2 Posts