Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I'm new here and I need a little guidance. I have a 2016 Discovery Sport and up until about 4 weeks ago it was more or less fine. The only issue I had with it is having to add coolant once a month or so because it drinks it. However that is not my current issue. I went out this morning to start it and go to get the tags put on it and it started and after a few minutes turned itself off. It has 3/4 of a tank of fuel. And it turns over but it wont start. I dont think it's the battery because its turning over and all the dash comes on. I'm in the US and live in a very rural area and currently can't get it to a dealer. What can I try to see if I can fix this or at least narrow it down?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good morning, I'm new here and I need a little guidance. I have a 2016 Discovery Sport and up until about 4 weeks ago it was more or less fine. The only issue I had with it is having to add coolant once a month or so because it drinks it. However that is not my current issue. I went out this morning to start it and go to get the tags put on it and it started and after a few minutes turned itself off. It has 3/4 of a tank of fuel. And it turns over but it wont start. I don't think it's the battery because its turning over and all the dash comes on. I'm in the US and live in a very rural area and currently can't get it to a dealer. What can I try to see if I can fix this or at least narrow it down?
Hi BigAl,

If it started, then cut out, then you're right that it probably isn't the battery. What started happening 4 weeks ago? And when did it start drinking coolant? That's a lot of coolant, where do you live? Is it an extremely hot place or do you do a lot of miles? I can't help but think the coolant issue is related, do you get any overheating warnings, engine oil temp issues, when was it's last oil change? Did the motor run smoothly before? Any blue smoke from the exhaust, any knocking or misfiring?

Is it an unleaded or diesel motor? Does it require AdBlue (not sure if that's a thing in the US)? Is it possible someone put the wrong fuel (if so, don't keep trying the ignition - maybe have a sniff from the filler cap they're distinctively different). How many times have you driven it since it was last fuelled? Do you still have the receipt?

Are there any patches of fluid where you normally park it at home? Not drips from the AC unit. Dip the oil and check the colour and level.

When it shut off, were there any warning lights? Did it struggle and splutter to a halt or did it run smoothly then shut off abruptly?

Sorry, more questions than answers there but it's hard to narrow things down without more info.

·
Super Moderator
357 Posts
Hi Al
Not sure if you really live in the sticks or just far from Land Rover dealer.. But the coolant leak is a major problem that has to be looked at. But no need to go to Land Rover the 2 liter engine you have (lucky it is not a Diesel) is a Ford engine used in the Escape and the Lincoln MKC, with slight differences. Go to any good mechanic that has equipment to work on a Ford and they should be able to help. Coolant problems may be a bad hose and it probably is different from the standard Ford hoses but your local mechanic can order for you.

Have you access to a obd2 auto scanner code reader if so hook it up. You can buy a cheap one almost everywhere and will help narrow down the problem. Easy to use.

Hope you are using a high quality fuel, when I travel in the States I see lots of low octane fuel in rural areas.

Let us know what happens,, do not be a one post member LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do use high octane fuel everytime. I do not have access to an OBD reader but I'm sure I know someone who does. I stopped using the car when covid popped up because the tags were out and the office to get them closed until just this week. I still had valid tags on my truck so i just used it. The coolant issue is a big concern I had. I have not noticed any odd colored exhaust or any puddles were I park it. The oil change was less than a month old when I parked it, so that makes it 2 to 2.5 months old. I do the oil myself with the required grade oil and filter so the service light is still on and i dont know how to reset it. Is there any possiblity that due to the car not being used and sitting for so long that the computer just needs to be reset, can anyone tell me how to do it? I'm sure removing a battery cable is always an option but I think that's more of a bandaid fix instead of actually resetting the computer through the right process. I appreciate all the insight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Al
Not sure if you really live in the sticks or just far from Land Rover dealer.. But the coolant leak is a major problem that has to be looked at. But no need to go to Land Rover the 2 liter engine you have (lucky it is not a Diesel) is a Ford engine used in the Escape and the Lincoln MKC, with slight differences. Go to any good mechanic that has equipment to work on a Ford and they should be able to help. Coolant problems may be a bad hose and it probably is different from the standard Ford hoses but your local mechanic can order for you.

Have you access to a obd2 auto scanner code reader if so hook it up. You can buy a cheap one almost everywhere and will help narrow down the problem. Easy to use.

Hope you are using a high quality fuel, when I travel in the States I see lots of low octane fuel in rural areas.

Let us know what happens,, do not be a one post member LOL
I think the 2016 model should be a JLR Ingenium motor in the US

Reactions: drumrunner

·
Super Moderator
357 Posts
The engine in Canada and the U.S.A. ( not sure about Mexico) is a Ford gas /petrol engine, I have the 2016 model myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do use high octane fuel everytime. I do not have access to an OBD reader but I'm sure I know someone who does. I stopped using the car when covid popped up because the tags were out and the office to get them closed until just this week. I still had valid tags on my truck so i just used it. The coolant issue is a big concern I had. I have not noticed any odd colored exhaust or any puddles were I park it. The oil change was less than a month old when I parked it, so that makes it 2 to 2.5 months old. I do the oil myself with the required grade oil and filter so the service light is still on and i dont know how to reset it. Is there any possiblity that due to the car not being used and sitting for so long that the computer just needs to be reset, can anyone tell me how to do it? I'm sure removing a battery cable is always an option but I think that's more of a bandaid fix instead of actually resetting the computer through the right process. I appreciate all the insight.
I would think there would be more warning lights on if it was an ECU thing, There is a procedure on here for resetting the service light (I've pasted below) but I can't imagine that's your actual issue. I agree with Bill that you should try and get hold of a reader, or a mechanic with a reader. Also, I would at least discuss it over the phone with someone from Land Rover servicing in case they have some thoughts on the coolant issue or some simple diagnostic steps you can do yourself.

Service warning reset, copied from another post:

Set the ignition to the ON position.
Open the hood.
Open the drivers door.
NOTE: A service resetting message will appear on the instrument cluster.
Fully depress both the accelerator and brake pedals and hold for 60 seconds. (some other guides say this only needs to be 10 seconds)
Set the ignition to the OFF position.
Set the ignition to the ON position and check the message has been cleared. (you can scroll through the menu to find your miles to next service)
If the message remains, repeat the process.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The engine in Canada and the U.S.A. ( not sure about Mexico) is a Ford gas /petrol engine, I have the 2016 model myself.
sorry, i thought they switched at the end of 2015

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think for the US they switched to the Ingenium engine in 2018.

I have the same 286hp (213kw) as you, outbackgeo, and everything I've read states that 2018 was the first year they offered the Ingenium here in the US, as well as the upgraded engine option.

BigAl84, I agree with everyone else, find a reader.. you definitely should not have been going through coolant like that.
Curious, did you see it leaking/notice the level low in the system, or were you just adding it because of that red "coolant low" warning? The reason I ask is about a month after I bought mine, I would randomly get the red "coolant low" warning and could smell coolant, but it would just appear for a moment, then go away, and there was no leak. It turned out to be a faulty coolant cap that wasn't seating properly.

Just a thought..

·
Super Moderator
357 Posts
BigAl84 I see you have not logged on for a long time, but if you do let us know your outcome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The outcome isn't good but I guess it could be worse. The error codes come up as fuel system issues. Pressure to low was one there were 3 i just don't remember the other 2. And the battery is low and evidently it's a dealership battery because the local parts stores dont have a battery alternate part number. So its gonna have to go to the shop.

·
Super Moderator
357 Posts
I had a problem with a misfire that was diagnosed as a leaking fuel injector. After waiting weeks the dealer finally had the parts and changed out 2 injectors. The invoice also said that low fuel pressure was detected. After 6 months I noticed a gassy smell when starting up. Went to an other dealer and they replace the other 2 injectors and also said that the fuel pressure was low because of the injectors.
Strange thing the fuel economy gauge in the car was 14% out compared to actual calculations and after wards it is now 20% in error. But car runs very well. There was a problem with a run of injectors at the Bosch factory.

Battery will become discharged sitting on your drive, put a battery charger on it preferably one with an AGM setting. Maybe the car will start.

Before you go to the Land Rover Dealer the cost of a fuel injector is $300.00 ( Dealer told me) and if you go to an independent garage they can order the same part for the Ford at under $100.00 . Same Bosch part number, different box. Use your search engine to see costs in your area.

Good Luck from the West Coast

1 - 14 of 14 Posts