Discovery Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Every couple of weeks or so I stick the Nav SD card into my laptop and run the LR map update software (link is in the manual). There was an update to the SOFTWARE the other day, but not to the maps. Now instead of it spinning and doing nothing, icons appear indicating "free updates" (or something like that) below the icon. So far, no free updates have appeared. I saw a Garmin at Costco the other day for $229 that includes lifetime maps and traffic. It's amazing anyone ever pays to put GPS in the car because it's so much more expensive and car dealers always charge for updates. When we had our old Land Cruiser, I quit updated the DVD Nav system and used the small Garmin we already own or else Google Maps on my phone. I'll keep trying with the SD Card in my laptop to see if anything ever comes up. It looks like their might be free updates available at some point event though I have seen links where it indicates you have to buy an update.
I confirmed the same thing happened when I was trying to update the map last night. After spinning for a while, the "Free Updates" word with a download arrow icon appear, but there was nothing to list or click on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not that I know of (or others that have looked). It's not in the mirror either. :-( I don't really use it much anyway, but it's in many high-end cars in the mirror so when I get in my wife's Q7 I notice it right away and realize again it's missing in the DS. However, as I said, it's not that big a deal to me, but I'm sure some miss it. I wonder if there's a setting in Nav to always show north? I don't think so, but many systems have that option. Then maybe you could figure out the compass direction based on the Nav screen?
You know after driving BMWs for the past 15 years with the compass heading built into the rear view mirror, I missed it for a split second on the DS, but I don't really miss it much.

The DS navigation is so much better than the BMW nav - the maps spins and swivels in the direction you are heading and the North symbol shows the northerly direction...
Ok, I'm clearly missing something, where is the north symbol? I feel like I've looked all over the screen and can't find it

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I confirmed the same thing happened when I was trying to update the map last night. After spinning for a while, the "Free Updates" word with a download arrow icon appear, but there was nothing to list or click on.
Maybe someday our ship will come in...

;-)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Every couple of weeks or so I stick the Nav SD card into my laptop and run the LR map update software (link is in the manual). There was an update to the SOFTWARE the other day, but not to the maps. Now instead of it spinning and doing nothing, icons appear indicating "free updates" (or something like that) below the icon. So far, no free updates have appeared. I saw a Garmin at Costco the other day for $229 that includes lifetime maps and traffic. It's amazing anyone ever pays to put GPS in the car because it's so much more expensive and car dealers always charge for updates. When we had our old Land Cruiser, I quit updated the DVD Nav system and used the small Garmin we already own or else Google Maps on my phone. I'll keep trying with the SD Card in my laptop to see if anything ever comes up. It looks like their might be free updates available at some point event though I have seen links where it indicates you have to buy an update.
i bought a mazda 3 few years ago and decided to get the grand touring with the navigation. 90% of the time i ignore navigation because i use google maps on my mobile phone. but i travel out of state and into the woods a lot. and my samsung also likes to die when i most need it, so that 10% of the time the navigation gets me home stress free. true the garmin gps unit at costco is so much cheaper but i have seen navigation units drop from several thousands to several hundreds and look to see it become parr of the base for those 10% times

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 Discovery Sport and have had problems with both the navigation system and radio. Mainly, the navigation system won't recognize addresses using voice command and won't let me type in the destination manually. Almost every time, it sends me to a state other than the state my destination is in. I have to resort to using Google Maps on my phone to get anywhere. It also randomly "cancels" after I've entered a destination, or appears to begin searching for the destination and then suddenly stops working (as though it silently canceled itself), or gives an odd message such as function not found. If I attempt to type the address manually, it only lets me type one or two letters of the city, and then again pulls up a state that is not the state my destination is in. I haven't even made my first payment yet, and the car is in the Service dept for the 5th time. As mentioned, there are also issues with the radio. The radio has frozen twice, preventing me from changing stations. It has also gone "blank." For example, when listening to satellite radio, all channels and saved channels suddenly disappear and the display remains blank for hours. This has happened several times. After getting the run around time and again from Landrover, they finally admitted other owners have had the same problem and a software update was sent. Unfortunately, it seems the software update has made things worse and increased the frequency of the problems. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Haven't had issue with the radio. My voice address entering has been mostly good, had an issue the other day with it not picking up the right house number. I typed it in just fine though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I picked up my Disco last Saturday and my Nav SD Card was missing. They said there was a problem with it and they needed to order a new one from LR because they are not transferable within the dealership. I wonder if they are VIN coded so they can't be hacked.

I am looking forward to the NAV working, but am fearful I will miss the ease and use of WAZE. I wish my phone could be mirrored to my Disco's screen.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am still very impressed with the GPS navigation in the disco. It seems to recognize my voice commands 95% of the time and gets it correct the first time. This is way better than my RAM and I was always impressed with it. Plus keep in mind that the justdrive app just came out that works with in control app suite. JustDrive has navigation as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
can someone clue me in on how the traffic feature works in the Nav? Everytime I try to use it, it says "List Empty" . . . I have no idea what that means.

thanks, JT

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am still very impressed with the GPS navigation in the disco. It seems to recognize my voice commands 95% of the time and gets it correct the first time. This is way better than my RAM and I was always impressed with it. Plus keep in mind that the justdrive app just came out that works with in control app suite. JustDrive has navigation as well.
Did you find it had to go through a learning curve to pick up on your voice better or what? I know some systems can be like this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The nav works with my voice great.

I also found that the 3D view fixes the "scaling" issue as it kinda looks ahead on the map.

I really like it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know what do the bubbles / balloons mean on the map? They appear on freeways near exits.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any luck in resolving this issue. The same thing happen to me. I get the down arrow in a circle with the word "FREE UPDATE" to the right but its not clickable......

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Any luck in resolving this issue. The same thing happen to me. I get the down arrow in a circle with the word "FREE UPDATE" to the right but its not clickable......
I haven't been able to get any type of update in the nine months I've owned the DS. I keep getting the same thing you do. It looks like the updates are supposed to be listed under FREE UPDATE, but nothing is ever listed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't been able to get any type of update in the nine months I've owned the DS. I keep getting the same thing you do. It looks like the updates are supposed to be listed under FREE UPDATE, but nothing is ever listed.
Purchased my Discovery Sport in Dec 2015 (Australia). Have had no updates and the exiting maps appear to be early 2015. Get the same greyed out arrow for "Free Updates". Land Rovers reply is that no updates are available. The map supplier generally does updates atleast half yearly for other devices. I suspect Land Rover hasn't settled a licensing agreement with them for map updates. You really need to pressure your dealer to get this fixed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Purchased my Discovery Sport in Dec 2015 (Australia). Have had no updates and the exiting maps appear to be early 2015. Get the same greyed out arrow for "Free Updates". Land Rovers reply is that no updates are available. The map supplier generally does updates atleast half yearly for other devices. I suspect Land Rover hasn't settled a licensing agreement with them for map updates. You really need to pressure your dealer to get this fixed.
My dealer told me the other day that the supplier is not going to update the SD cards because the market is too small. He said a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of an update. He did not know what JLR is going to do about it. If there are no updates, what's the point of the Nav system?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a car for 5 days, with map version 26.1.9755 and I see through the updater that there is a newer version 26.3.9846.
However, in order to download it I would need to pay $120USD.... Is this stuff covered under warranty? My dealer is clueless....
Any suggestions?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts