Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 3G is being retired this year to make room for 5G bandwidth. This will affect many aspects of crash-detection and SOS and your in-control remote features. Some car companies are getting head of it and putting out notices and websites and offering solutions. But crickets from LR as of today. I called customer service about it this morning and they basically said "they'll contact you with a solution" and that the AT&T sunsetting at the end of Feb. 2022 will only affect the car's WiFi features. Support couldn't tell me which carrier the in-control feature was using, so unable to get a date on when that will go dark. Even Subaru has a whole website devoted to the 3G retirement. I'm surprised LR hasn't said a word!

Read this Consumer Reports article about it, dated Jan. 11, 2022.

Here's their snipit about Land Rover response from that article (no update as of 1/17/22):
Font Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think I'd prefer if car companies didn't even include this sort of technology in their cars. The tech goes stale well before the car does and it can all be easily done by your smartphone now. Integrating that through CarPlay or Android Auto seems like the more sensible route.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve been wanting to update mine to 4G for years due to reduced 3G support. The wi-fi is a life saver traveling long days with three kiddos in the back. When we get to the last leg of our trip, they get ipads and headsets, so that we can have peace and silence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.