Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem, my Discovery Sport HSE LUX have 450 miles and I filled up 3 times. The 3rd time I have half tank left now. Something is not right. Doesn't feel like a V4, more like a V8 hemi like my old 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same problem, my Discovery Sport HSE LUX have 450 miles and I filled up 3 times. The 3rd time I have half tank left now. Something is not right. Doesn't feel like a V4, more like a V8 hemi like my old 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8
Hi,

Do you mean if feels more like your Jeep in terms of power or in terms of fuel mileage/consumption?

Are you running with the Eco mode on and the start stop feature activated?

Just trying to figure out if there is a root cause for the mileage issues you are having.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel this discovery is like the Jeep in terms of Fuel Consumption. The Eco is on, when I drive, but I disable the auto/stop because it hot in NY now and when I come to a complete stop on a red hot the AC turns off. Any other suggestions or I have a to break in the car before I notice improvement in term of fuel consumption.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I feel this discovery is like the Jeep in terms of Fuel Consumption. The Eco is on, when I drive, but I disable the auto/stop because it hot in NY now and when I come to a complete stop on a red hot the AC turns off. Any other suggestions or I have a to break in the car before I notice improvement in term of fuel consumption.
I feel the auto stop feature is the biggest contributor to our better than advertised fuel economy. I was never sold on auto stop, Im a believer now for sure. I have a feeling that if we disabled it most of the time our MPGs would drop drastically.

We have 95-100 degree temps right now and we have AC on and ventalated seats on..I still leave the auto stop on...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did a road trip from nyc to hershey park roughly 180 miles 1 way and found I get about 300 miles on a full tank gas, is that good?
That doesn't sound that great to me. 300 miles divided by 18 gallons (tank is advertised as 18.5 US gallons) equals only 16.6mpg.

400 miles on a tank would be better, that is 22.2mpg.

Do you have a slightly heavy foot? :)

Rob

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just did a road trip from nyc to hershey park roughly 180 miles 1 way and found I get about 300 miles on a full tank gas, is that good?
No thats actually terrible....IF youve used the whole tank of gas (18 gallons). Youd just have to fill it up then divide the numbers of gallons you just put in by the miles on the tank of gas. So if youre just gettiing low and you still have around 3 gallons left and then fill up with only 15 gallons...well thats a little better at 20mpg. But thats the only way to get an accurate mpg reading. BTW, even 20 mpg for a road trip would be pretty bad.
Anyway, come back with moe exact numbers and we'll be able to see whats up with your fuel milage.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Disco can hold 18gallons? When I was empty and car said 40miles to empty, I filled it up, it was only 14gallon.
The specification say it's got 18.5 gallon capacity. So you had a little over 4 gallons left in your tank. And the miles to empty feature is probably reading conservatively.

When I run it "bone dry "I usually get about 15 gallons in there when I fill up. So this thing has a really large amount of reserve tank if the capacity stated is correct.

I noted yesterday that I had 180 miles on my current trip meter. I was averaging 23.3 miles per gallon. And it said miles to empty was 120. Which would have put me at 300 miles on the tank of gas. That would not have jived with the current average mpg reading. So it obviously adjusts with time and driving style. But I am going to see exactly what my gas mileage was the next fill up using the old calculator method. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just did the weekly top off.

So here's the real world deal on mpg in my experience. We put 206 miles on since last top off. I topped off with 9.8 gallons of fuel. That gives me 21.02 mpg for the week. That's with at least 75% city driving with an average speed of only 27 mph. A//C always on, S/S always on, ventilated seats on 50% of the time.

My trip computer says I averaged 22.8 mpg. So it's a little bit optimistic and I'm not sure what kind of variables it has in its programming....

So there ya go. Either way you slice it, I'm happy with fuel consumption. You

·
Registered
139 Posts
Our DS is still in its "running-in" period, so the driving style is still very "gentle". We have been driving on both city/highway, with ECO mode and Intelligent Stop/Start on. So far the best we got is 18.9 mpg. Not so good.

We use Costco premium gas. I wonder if using more expensive name-brand premium gas would make a difference.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Disco can hold 18gallons? When I was empty and car said 40miles to empty, I filled it up, it was only 14gallon.
It's my understanding that the gas gauge in the DS does not work properly. There may be a software fix for it (although I haven't confirmed it with mine yet, or gotten the fix). The DS seems to hold 4 gallons in reserve rather than the "usual" 1 gallon or so. I've seen references on other sites that there is a software fix for this. If I ever get it done, I'll let people know on this forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a fix for this - Topix ref - LTB00830NAS1

·
Registered
139 Posts
Our DS is still in its "running-in" period, so the driving style is still very "gentle". We have been driving on both city/highway, with ECO mode and Intelligent Stop/Start on. So far the best we got is 18.9 mpg. Not so good.

We use Costco premium gas. I wonder if using more expensive name-brand premium gas would make a difference.
Update: currently the average MPG is 20 ~ 21. It has improved but not close to the advertised 22 mix driving. The running-in/break-in period is almost over, I am sure the MPG is going to drop once I start driving "normally".

21 - 40 of 50 Posts