Discovery Sport Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discovery Sport Rear Security Shade Cover

It is not hard to make from 2013 - 2017 Ford Escape Rear Shade, the length and width is exactly the
size the Discovery Sport needs. No drilling or cutting of the interior panels is needed.

My dealer told me that none of the 2015 or 2016 Discovery Sports for the US came with a Rear Security Shade or Cover. The window stickers indicating the cost of options and features states "Rear Cargo Shade Not Included" (kind of like toys saying "batteries not included"... LOL). My dealer also indicated the cost was $600 (LOL again). On eBay and searching UK Land Rover web sites, these covers are very hard to find and not really available. Dealers in UK didn't want to ship to US either (not sure, why I know shipping is very expensive in/out of UK).

I made a solution to rear cargo cover, one does not need to be a handy man genius. With a little effort, a 2013-2017 Ford Escape Rear Cargo Security Shade will fit the 2016 Discovery Sport.

I have a 850K byte document, but this forum's posting system limits attachment files to 20Kb. If you want a copy of that 850Kb file, please email through the forum by clicking on my member name and sending me with your email address. Else, print out the information below.

Items & Materials Needed:
Quantity=1 2013 to 2017 MY Ford Escape Cargo Security Shade
(I choose black since it will not reflect light or create glare on the rear window)
Quantity=1 10mm or 3/8 inch square pine wood dowel or rod (Do not use “balsa wood”)
Quantity=2 Flexible PVC Coupling, purchased from Lowes 2 inch SQU#23473
Measuring tape
Sharpie Black Pen
Wire cutters or carpenters knife or tin snips
Wood Saw (small cutting teeth)
Goop brand “latex” automotive glue (other brands should be OK)
24 hours to let the glue dry

Procedure: (adding photos makes the posting to large for this forum)
1) cut 2 pieces from the 10mm or 3/8 inch square wood dowel to make 1 5/8inch long pegs (41mm)
2) stain or color these wood pegs using the black Sharpie pen if you desire.
3) press these wood pegs into the shade's end pieces (do not know what those plastic parts are called) (PS. The soft wood will not scratch or gouge the plastic interior trim panels.) If these have a loose fitting and do not do not press fit, then apply some glue to hold them in place.
4) On one end of each Flexible PVC Coupling, cut a 3/4inch x 5/8 inch deep (20mm x 15mm) square notch, these will mate with the key ways in the interior trim panels of the Discovery Sport.
5) On the end opposite from the notch in the Flexible PVC Coupling, apply glue (such as “Goop”) on the interior surface about 1/4inch wide (6mm). Apply glue all 360 degrees around the inside surface of he coupling tube..
6) Push each Flexible PVC Coupling to the end of the Ford Escape’s Cargo Security Shade about ½ inch, make sure the notch cut in step 4 is oriented as shown in photo relative to bottom of the shade assembly(the notch needs to point downward).. The length of the shade’s roller is 50 ½ inches end to end (128cm). Let dry for 24 hours.
7) My shade appears as shown back at the top of this posting. The Flexible PVC Coupling will not rattle in the shade’s cradles of the interior cargo panels.
8) Done, go place the shade assembly into your Discovery Sport.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So COOL !
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ljc

I just bought a 2016 Discovery Sport HSE and had to pay extra for the privacy screen. Even tho it's not listed in the brochure as an accessory and all the photos seem to have one...they gave me storage net, which doesn't work with the rubber floor mat in the cargo. Seems to simple and something that should be standard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI, whoever is still looking for cargo area cover for Discovery Sport, it's available on Amazon for $155,
search for "Rear Boot Trunk Cargo Liner Cover Shield Security For Land Rover Discovery Sport 2015 2016 2017".
I just received mine, it fits and works fine. Quality is okay, not sure how it compares to the OEM one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In Aus, mine came standard. With the 3rd row, really not much point because you can't keep it in the car with the rear seats up.

But...

I rarely have a need for the 3rd row (only sometimes) so I am glad it comes as standard in Aus.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most dealerships order the Cargo Area Cover with the car here in Canada. It's $175 CDN for this option. If you're factory ordering you need to specify it in your order sheet. But it should be something they can order for you after the fact as well I think.

Having that said, if you have the privacy glass option, its already pretty hard to see into the car's trunk area. It' pretty dark!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts