Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh no! We managed to put unleaded petrol in our 3 month old HSE Disco Sport, and drove it for 1 mile. The car has now been recovered to Landrover. BUT its not covered under our insurance. Landrover are quoting in excess of 5k for repairs.

The guidebook says that it may be fitted with active fuel protection. I cant check the filler cap, as its now with landrover. BUT - IF it did have this, then surely this has failed to stop the misfuelling?

Does anyone have experience of this? Could this be a fault with the misfuelling protection, and therefore be covered under warranty??

·
Registered
211 Posts
I assume you are in a non-US market with the TD4 Diesel...

Not familiar with the active fuel protection feature. I believe (but not sure since I have never owned a diesel vehicle) that in the US the gas filler hole is smaller than gasoline cars to prevent a gasoline filler nozzle being inserted (the diesel filler nozzle is smaller) - though you could put diesel into a gasoline-powered car! Is this what you are referring to?

At any rate - good luck with repairs, quite a bit of money for a simple mistake.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, the OP has a diesel engine.

I have had 2 diesel engine BMWs and they both have had a misfueling protection feature that prevents gasoline nozzles from activating the throat fuel gates preventing the gasoline from being pumped into the diesel tank.

I wonder if the new Jaguar F Pace diesel has this same issue ??
I was looking at one while mine was in the shop - they are very nicely done - copying Land Rover and calling it a Jaguar....
Will have to ask the dealer next time - thanks for the heads up.

Sorry the cost is so much to repair the misfueling - that is about the correct cost.
Will insurance cover most of the repair ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, the insurance will not cover the repair.
We are pursuing a legal route. I believe that if the fuel protector did not do what is is supposed to do, then surely this is a manufacturing fault?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its the other way round. The gasoline nozzle is smaller than the diesel nozzle, so its easier to pump gasoline into a diesel car. The fuel protection system is supposed to detect this, and wont open the flap on the neck of the tank filler unless it is actually a diesel nozzle that is inserted.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Unfortunately, the insurance will not cover the repair.
We are pursuing a legal route. I believe that if the fuel protector did not do what is is supposed to do, then surely this is a manufacturing fault?
You may have a case - you can use the fact that BMW and Mercedes diesels that have this feature that actually works.

I know because it's happened to me while in the UK - I attempted to fuel with petrol in a rental Mercedes diesel - the fuel neck flaps would not open up with a petrol nozzle.

Never tried to stick a gas nozzle in my BMW diesels in the states...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts