Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a 2015 HSE luxury with the Meridian stereo.

The manual says I can play WMA, AAC and MP3 music files (using USB dongle)

I can only get the unit to play MP3 format, I have tried different permutations of the AAC and WMA formats.

JLR Australia tell me there will be a firmware update to fix this.

Anyone have any more info ??????

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2016 MY16.5 with meridian sound. I can play all these files, the trick for me was to use a USB II stick- USB III was not being recognised by the unit

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response Stevebo, My USB stick works OK when plugged into the into the USB port in the 'cubby box' (as far as I can tell, the only USB connection that does anything but charges).

- I have tried a 5Gb and 32Gb sticks (both with the red 'tongue' not the blue one that is USB 3.0)
- I have tried FAT and FAT32 formats on the sticks
- I use dbpowerAmp to convert FLAC files to MP3, WMA and AAC (the s/w allows different formats of each, I have tried all...)

JLR tell me I will need (they dont have it yet) a firmware update for the Meridian system...hmmmm...

Also (if you dont mind me asking another question) have you updated the GPS maps on yours ?

Peter

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi USER.000, MP3s work fine, but it is a rubbish format as it's so compressed. A stereo of the quality of the Meridian really deserves uncompressed or at least the less lossy formats (a point made in the Disco manual).

·
Registered
151 Posts
@peter1959: Ah. Have you tried to encode the files using Variable Bitrate (as opposed to Constant Bitrate)? VBR allows the encoding to go beyond the 320kbps that's capped by CBR if the original music source is set at a higher rate (eg: certain parts of a music can go to 1,024kbps or higher as in classical music). Yes, the music is compressed but at VBR rating, the music is incredible in the DS!

PS: When I get a chance, I'll experiment w/ the other .aac and .wma encoding and see if it plays in the DS system.

·
Registered
151 Posts
UPDATE:

Both .aac and .wma codecs play fine via USB 2.0 stick.

***Footnote:
Original Source: CD ; Jean-Baptiste Lully "Dies Irae" ; Harmonia Mundi France label

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi USER,

Thanks for your input, very helpful.

I have made some progress on this issue, due to some of your input.

- MP3 and AAC work. I can get AAC working if I use a different encoder (not dbPoweramp) as there appear to be several versions of AAC (Apple, Nere, Winamp, could be more). Some work, some don't.

- I can get WMA to work as well, same deal as above - different encoder.

- WMA lossless (this is an actual format) will not work, I have downloaded 5 different encoders, all that claim to do FLAC to WMA lossless conversion, the output of NONE of them work.

Meanwhile, I have got a 'response' from JLR Australia basically saying - everything works OK (including WMA Lossless) no update pending or necessary and then told me I did not know what lossless actually means... charming...

I will keep on trying different encoders / versions of WMA lossless....

On a slightly different matter, has anyone done a GPS maps update on a DS Lux - using DVD (the lux does not have SD-Card update) ?

Peter

·
Registered
63 Posts
@peter1959: Ah. Have you tried to encode the files using Variable Bitrate (as opposed to Constant Bitrate)? VBR allows the encoding to go beyond the 320kbps that's capped by CBR if the original music source is set at a higher rate (eg: certain parts of a music can go to 1,024kbps or higher as in classical music). Yes, the music is compressed but at VBR rating, the music is incredible in the DS!

PS: When I get a chance, I'll experiment w/ the other .aac and .wma encoding and see if it plays in the DS system.

User 000- I agree with the that the meridian does an awesome job with VBR music. It has to be one of the best Ive seen. My wife has a Volvo S60 with HK system, the meridian knocks it out of the park

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just found out that the Meridian 17 Speaker system in my new Discovery Sport HSE LUX isn't the same as the 17 Speaker system I had in my Evoque !!

I knew when I took delivery it sounded less loud and no where near the bass as my Evoque had. Fished around and a couple other dealers confirmed that the Evoque and Range Rover 17 Speaker Systems are more high-end, bigger amplifiers, better insulated which in turn gives it more bass as well. HUGE disappointment....

So if you're a music enthusiast like me, be forewarned about the 17 Speaker upgrade in the Discovery Sport Models......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
We own a Discovery sport hse. I would like to play .flac files on the meridian system through USB. Can it play if so how to do it. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
113 Posts
be careful with the size of the memory stick.... the manual claims it will work with anything up to and including 128Gig..... I have one and it is a disaster....called JLR and they acknowledged this size was not fully tested.... they now know it is not correctly implemented and they do NOT recommend 128Gig memory sticks.....

I will have to wait for a firmware update.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts