Discovery Sport Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
774 Posts
In 5 years I have had the low battery warning once, after being away for several weeks.

Actually twice but the second time I had used a 12 volt pump to pump up my tires and used a 12 volt vacuum to clean the car. I also washed the car and had all the doors open while cleaning inside.

Original battery is over 6 years old. A/C on all year round and seat heaters and steering wheel heater on all winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I’m new to land rovers. Me and my wife just bought a 2019 LR Discovery. About 2 months ago we got a low battery light come when we open the door but before starting the car. I bought a aftermarket battery. That didn’t work. So this past Saturday we took it to a LR dealer in Dallas TX and they replaced the battery They replaced it and said they had to do some software update. The invoice doesn’t say anything about the software update. We drove it home Saturday and around town on Sunday and come Monday morning when my wife got in the car the low battery light came on and it won’t start. When I went out to check it it started for me. I let it run for a while killed and locked it. Went to start it again later that day and dead. We are new to land rovers but is there anything I can check/do to fix this without the dealer?
Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
774 Posts
Curious when you bought the aftermarket battery was it a AGM battery of the same spec as the original?

I imagine the dealer replaced with a Land Rover battery.

Connect a smart charger to the battery set for AGM and things should be OK.

Where are you located? Only ask because your IP address is in Washington State and not Texas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious when you bought the aftermarket battery was it a AGM battery of the same spec as the original?

I imagine the dealer replaced with a Land Rover battery.

Connect a smart charger to the battery set for AGM and things should be OK.

Where are you located? Only ask because your IP address is in Washington State and not Texas.
Bill
We bought the aftermarket battery at the end of April. It was a AGM battery and was not replaced by a dealer. The battery we had replaced Saturday (5-28-22) was a dealer battery. We found a recall for the discovery for the neg cable and chassis mount but it wasn’t for for VIN. This is our first Land Rover and it’s not looking good for us. Yes I’m in Texas. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The symptom sounds like a parasitic draw - something not turning off and continuing to draw power from the battery when the car's off. Modern cars will draw some power for a little while until all the electronics go to sleep so chasing down parasitic draws can take some time while you wait up to an hour for the car to sleep, then try not to do something to wake everything up and have to wait another hour. Search on youtube for "parasitic draw" and you'll find lots of videos explaining how to find them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The symptom sounds like a parasitic draw - something not turning off and continuing to draw power from the battery when the car's off. Modern cars will draw some power for a little while until all the electronics go to sleep so chasing down parasitic draws can take some time while you wait up to an hour for the car to sleep, then try not to do something to wake everything up and have to wait another hour. Search on youtube for "parasitic draw" and you'll find lots of videos explaining how to find them.
Thank you. I’ll look that up. I was wondering that but on Monday when we got it to crack the negative cable was hot to the touch within a few you it running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do any of you know of a correlation between this battery issue and the brakes suddenly not working? I've had the battery warning for a a number of weeks. I had the battery checked and it was fine so I ignored it. However, my wife was running errands the other day and the brake pedal started going to the floor. She stopped and checked the fluids. It's fine...no discoloration and not low.
I don't see anything dripping on the pavement. I start the vehicle and pump the pedal several times. It goes about half way before feeling resistance then slowly continues to the floor board. It does feel mushy as well. I understand having air in the lines may have that feeling too but how does that occur out of nowhere? Just wondering if there is an electrical concern that this battery problem may manifest into a brake problem too.

·
Administrator
774 Posts
Sounds like major troubles with brakes that should be looked at asap.

Put the battery on charge. Will not solve brake problem, but why ignore a warning on your dash?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Brake pedal going to the floor is dangerous. You should probably have it towed to wherever you're planning to have it serviced. A little air in the lines won't cause that and I don't think a low battery will either. If there are no leaks evident, it could be a seal in the master cylinder has given out and the fluid is leaking internally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know there are other threads regarding this issue, but there hasnt been one open for a few months, and I just found this service bulletin. SFCC_APR2022_18

It seems there are quite a few models with this as a known problem. I have a 2018, and the warranty just ran out in June. Does anyone know of a way to get the software update for free, or low cost? I dont see a matching recall, so would expect the dealership would want a pretty penny for it. What alerted me to the bulletin was some codes that came up in my scanner. I had a CEL come on at the beginning of last week, along with a low battery warning. I got the car scanned at the end of the week, and found a few codes. I cleared them, and the CEL remained off. But today I decided to scan the car again, just to make sure nothing new cropped up. I had a low battery warning when I started the car this morning.. And there was a couple of codes in the system, even though a CEL hadnt triggered. The codes are U0447 and XP26CB. In googling U0447, I saw something about air flow, but then found another article that talked about low battery warnings, which identically matched what I was experiencing. That lead to a service bulletin for an older model land rover. After search for some of the text from that service bulletin, I found this other one that identifies my exact model. I just cant find the actual dealership hand out for a 2018 discovery sport.

Here are the referenced links:

Dealer bulletin for older model

LR Forum with 2018 Discovery Sport identified as having same issue

Does anyone have more info?

·
Administrator
774 Posts
Place your battery on charge using an AGM compatible smart charger such as the ctek charger, same as factory uses .

Low battery causes lots of computer problems

41 - 52 of 52 Posts