Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
754 Posts
I had to replace my battery in my 2016 LR Discovery in Oct 2018. I starting getting the same message again the past two weeks It would usually happen when I got in the car on short hauls. Then, I notice my rear door would not operate correctly so I took it to NTB where I bought the battery. They said it was fine but take the car to the dealer. Turns on that the battery was being drained and the braking module system had not been reset when the new battery was installed. LR service re-charged the batter and reset the BMS systems. LR told me that other places/shops probably dont have tools equipment to do this reset so you might as well just by the battery from LR anyway.

Not sure why you bought a battery since there is a 4 year warranty from Land Rover

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same issue arise on Friday. Every time I turned the engine off, I received the low battery indicator. Back hatch door would also not close electronically. Took it to local dealer this morning and according to them I have an alternator issue. They are replacing alternator and battery under warranty (2016 with 34K miles). Unfortunately with tomorrow being a holiday, and having to order a part, it’s not likely to be ready by Friday. So I have to go the weekend without it. And because I didn’t buy from the local dealer they won’t provide a loaner car, which sucks.

·
Administrator
754 Posts
They should supply a loaner. I have had work done at 2 separate dealers and both supplied a loaner. Neither one was the selling dealer.

I bet they charge Land Rover for the cost of a loaner.

Put the car on charge and you can drive on the weekend.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all,

Few weeks ago my battery got all drained out of power (for no obvious reason), that i had to hotwire it, and then tow it to the garage (some systems, like break and transmission did not perform normally)...
They did all the service recalls that were needed (i own the for for 6 months), including the battery control module update (which they claimed is to be blamed)... They also checked the battery and it checked out "OK" in the battery gizmo, giving 780 something of power (Amps?).
But since it came back it keeps giving me the "Low battery Plesa start engine" warning every morning. There is no real problem, other then the warning and the fact that the start-stop system would not engage (which is understandable).
I do drive most days for 15 minutes to comute to work, and longer drives at weekedns (after a long drive the start-stop system does engage properly).
The garage said it is not a problem, and the cause is the short travel time, which doesn allow the battery to fill up.
But i have concern that it will go completely drainedout again (which was somewhat troumatic for a 6 mothns old and very expensive car), because there might me some kind of power "leak" during shutdown to some roug subsystem.
Has anyone experianced the same?
Any long term solution?
15 minute commutes are too short to keep the battery charged. You need to put it on a battery charger every few days or maybe at weekends.
The short commutes will also adversely affect engine life as it will not warm enough.
You could take it in a longer run every week, this may help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wife’s 2016 LRDS HSE had this problem up until about two years ago. Replaced the battery and problem solved. Then it started again in a year. Replaced the battery under warranty and fixed it. Now another year has gone by and the warning is popping up again.

My meter shows 12.47 volts on the battery with the engine off.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
754 Posts
When you change the battery it is recommended that you reset the battery monitoring system as well. It seems as thou most do not without problems but it is a chance that the replacement battery may overcharge.
Many of us charge the battery overnight on a regular basis . Land Rover uses a rebranded CTEK charger and it works very well.

But it seems as thou the threshold for the low battery warning is set very low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you change the battery it is recommended that you reset the battery monitoring system as well. It seems as thou most do not without problems but it is a chance that the replacement battery may overcharge.
Many of us charge the battery overnight on a regular basis . Land Rover uses a rebranded CTEK charger and it works very well.

But it seems as thou the threshold for the low battery warning is set very low.
Thanks. How does one reset battery monitoring system? When running it shows 14.61 volts at idle.

The battery is an AGM……not sure if this matters?

Auto parts stores don’t list one for this vehicle. They do list for Evoke though so I installed that part#.
Is there anything special/unique about OEM battery?

I don’t mind replacing it again but would like to know what the cause is. May try a conventional lead acid if it lasts longer than 12-14 months.

Thanks again for your response.

·
Administrator
754 Posts
Dealer has software that resets the monitoring system. Several scanners also have ability as well.

But I think most battery shops can also do the reset. A conventional battery will overcharge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
14.6 volts is a good charging voltage for an AGM battery. It would be a little high for a conventional lead-acid. An AGM should last longer too so if that's what you got, I'd keep it. Modern cars have a lot of electronics that stay on for a while after you turn the car off. Those tend to leave the battery more discharged almost all the time which can shorten its life.

If you drive an hour each way to work every day or something like that, your battery will probably stay charged pretty well. But if you're like me and your trips are shorter and less frequent, putting a charger on it overnight once a month or so will help your battery last longer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealer has software that resets the monitoring system. Several scanners also have ability as well.

But I think most battery shops can also do the reset. A conventional battery will overcharge.
Thank you Bill. I bought a battery tester and everything tests fine. Starting to think short trips are the problem. Did a few more shorter trips and the message went away. Also ordered a good charger so may have to connect it on occasion to keep it fully charged. I did find a replacement AGM battery at Costco so may go that route if this one turns out to be a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
14.6 volts is a good charging voltage for an AGM battery. It would be a little high for a conventional lead-acid. An AGM should last longer too so if that's what you got, I'd keep it. Modern cars have a lot of electronics that stay on for a while after you turn the car off. Those tend to leave the battery more discharged almost all the time which can shorten its life.

If you drive an hour each way to work every day or something like that, your battery will probably stay charged pretty well. But if you're like me and your trips are shorter and less frequent, putting a charger on it overnight once a month or so will help your battery last longer.
Thanks NVRover. Ordered a good charger so may try that to see if it helps. Bought a battery tester and it checked out fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Few weeks ago my battery got all drained out of power (for no obvious reason), that i had to hotwire it, and then tow it to the garage (some systems, like break and transmission did not perform normally)...
They did all the service recalls that were needed (i own the for for 6 months), including the battery control module update (which they claimed is to be blamed)... They also checked the battery and it checked out "OK" in the battery gizmo, giving 780 something of power (Amps?).
But since it came back it keeps giving me the "Low battery Plesa start engine" warning every morning. There is no real problem, other then the warning and the fact that the start-stop system would not engage (which is understandable).
I do drive most days for 15 minutes to comute to work, and longer drives at weekedns (after a long drive the start-stop system does engage properly).
The garage said it is not a problem, and the cause is the short travel time, which doesn allow the battery to fill up.
But i have concern that it will go completely drainedout again (which was somewhat troumatic for a 6 mothns old and very expensive car), because there might me some kind of power "leak" during shutdown to some roug subsystem.
Has anyone experianced the same?
Any long term solution?
We've had EXACTLY the same problem for 20 months with our MY20 Discovery Sport HSE.

Seven visits to the dealer have all resulted in "it's ok, we tested the battery and everything is fine". Followed by:
Wing mirrors fail to extend when unlocking;
Configuration default settings reset;
Low battery warnings; and then yesterday
They car would not start, stranding my wife at the dog park in 40 degree (Celsius) heat for 2 hours until a mechanic could attend and jump start the car.

We average more than 40km per day. That should be enough for the car to recharge itself.

Keeping a lead acid battery in a low charge state for extended periods seriously affects its capacity.

I regret selling my Jeep.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks NVRover. Ordered a good charger so may try that to see if it helps. Bought a battery tester and it checked out fine.
Our MY20 Disco is more like a mobile phone.

We charge it twice a week. We found out the hard way that we need to close all doors and the bonnet and lock the vehicle, otherwise it remains "awake" while we charge it.

To prevent driving down the road trailing wires that have been unceremoniously ripped from the wall, we place a traffic cone on the bonnet to indicate that the car is on charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would be interested to know what they say as my 2016 DiscoSport has been in twice lately for low battery etc and all they do is say the battery needs charging up because of my low mileage.
Had exactly the same response from Guy Salmon Wakefield with my 2017, took it back 3 times and each time they charged the battery overnight and it fixed the problem for at best the journey home (8 mile), this was when the vehicle was just over 2 years old and they wouldn't do anything else about it, told me the battery was good... I did say well if thats the case.... something else is wrong??? .
I don't remember anyone saying during the sales pitch that if you don't drive it all day long it will not work correctly! Its now 4 years old, still on the same battery (Ive just given up on the Stop/Start system} and I'll never buy another Landrover again simply because of the aftermarket service, or lack of it unless you throw your wallet through the door first... its obvious they know the problem exists, had other issues too with Guy Salmond but not pertinent to this thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would be interested to know what they say as my 2016 DiscoSport has been in twice lately for low battery etc and all they do is say the battery needs charging up because of my low mileage.
I had exactly the same with my dealers….. 3 times, just live with it now… stop/start hardly ever worked in the 4 years I’ve had the car, no more Landrover for me

21 - 40 of 50 Posts