Discovery Sport Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone !!! im receiving my DS that is already in the Fiscal Warehouse and need some advice since my dealership is not reliable dealing with knowledge about the tires i might need. (im in Costa Rica, where every CarBrand has its only and unique car dealership so i can't go to another dealership and ask since there are non).

I fitted my DS with 20' rims and comes with stock Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Tires with the following measurements 235/50r20 which have no grip regarding Gravel or Mud. This Ds will be traveling all the country and here its tropical 100% with half of the year Rainy Season, I Have done some Research and apparently what i can fit are Falken Wildpeak A_T Trail 245_50R20 but still unsure that they would bump or touch the inner splash gard/mud gard's.

I'm attaching all the pictures i have and if someone has a thumps up for me i thank you in advance.P.s. I don't want to change the Rims to 19's nor 18's since i payed extra for the 20. the other option I saw or would consider is a SPACCER® Lifting System or the EIBACH PRO-LIFT-KIT SPRINGS.

·
Registered
74 Posts
They'll be fine. I have 30" diameter tyres on mine and they are great. Others have fitted even larger. I would recommend the 255/50R20's (if they exist in the Wildpeaks) as the extra width will protect your rims a little better - otherwise go with your plan as it's probably the best you can do on 20" rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks outbackgeo !!! it really relives me to know this so i can go ahead and order the Tires (I have to order them form te USA because of course there isn't a chance to find them stock here)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm thinking about replacing my 235/60R18 tyres with 265/60R18 BFGs. They're about 4.8% larger and would add a bit of ground clearance. But I'm slightly worried about the height/circumference difference compared to the space saver spare. I don't have a full size spare, so replacing it, isn't an option.

Would you guys be worried about damaging the diffs/drivetrain when the space saver is in use.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the DS AWD system is really sensitive to circumference differences. I personally wouldn't do it. I'd carry a spare on the roof rack or get one of these bad boys and chuck a full spare on there:
Rigd Ultraswing

·
Registered
3 Posts
All, I just put a set of 255/65/R17 on our 2017 DS. Working with the installer (Discount Tire) the max recommended outer diameter they could guarantee no rubbing was 30.12in. I don't know if this is recommended by Discount or by LR. I had in mind going with the 245/70R17 which give 30.5in outer diameter. I chose the Falkens instead of the BFGs because of the cost (50USD a corner + full size spare) and I read that the K02s are noisier than the Falkens.

By the way, my list of size calculations and available tires is below as is a picture of the installed tires.

I have not experienced any rubbing or contact in the last two weeks I've had them. The have a bit more road noise and a slight decrease in economy.

Keeping in mind you can probably get away with the 30.5in out diameter without a lift or spacers but you'll also decrease the usable travel and space in the wheel well for chains. (Though I'm not sure where you're going where you would need AT tires + chains.)
@Rob Bell to answer your question 17 or 18 there are a lot of good reasons to go with the smaller rim diameter to increase the amount of sidewall especially in situations where you might air down the tires, such as on sand. Larger sidewalls also give greater protection against pinching on hard obstacles. I live in SoCal so sand and rocks were my main concern.

With regards to width you actually gain more contact patch in a air down tire with greater diameter than by going a few cm wider. A wider tire also increases rolling resistance and will decrease economy all other things being equal. However, there is also the look, if you like that. IMO I like the tall narrow cookie cutter look.

You would also have to factor in the expense of getting a 17in rim. I went with the new Boxer from Black Rhino. Personally I think it looks the business.

Next time I need tires I will likely get a 2in lift and put taller tires on. Will you please let me know if you have any questions?

Best,
PH

These look unreal! curiously do you know the width and offset of the rim you went for?

Thanks
Nathan

·
Registered
1 Posts
All, I just put a set of 255/65/R17 on our 2017 DS. Working with the installer (Discount Tire) the max recommended outer diameter they could guarantee no rubbing was 30.12in. I don't know if this is recommended by Discount or by LR. I had in mind going with the 245/70R17 which give 30.5in outer diameter. I chose the Falkens instead of the BFGs because of the cost (50USD a corner + full size spare) and I read that the K02s are noisier than the Falkens.

By the way, my list of size calculations and available tires is below as is a picture of the installed tires.

I have not experienced any rubbing or contact in the last two weeks I've had them. The have a bit more road noise and a slight decrease in economy.

Keeping in mind you can probably get away with the 30.5in out diameter without a lift or spacers but you'll also decrease the usable travel and space in the wheel well for chains. (Though I'm not sure where you're going where you would need AT tires + chains.)
@Rob Bell to answer your question 17 or 18 there are a lot of good reasons to go with the smaller rim diameter to increase the amount of sidewall especially in situations where you might air down the tires, such as on sand. Larger sidewalls also give greater protection against pinching on hard obstacles. I live in SoCal so sand and rocks were my main concern.

With regards to width you actually gain more contact patch in a air down tire with greater diameter than by going a few cm wider. A wider tire also increases rolling resistance and will decrease economy all other things being equal. However, there is also the look, if you like that. IMO I like the tall narrow cookie cutter look.

You would also have to factor in the expense of getting a 17in rim. I went with the new Boxer from Black Rhino. Personally I think it looks the business.

Next time I need tires I will likely get a 2in lift and put taller tires on. Will you please let me know if you have any questions?

Best,
PH
Hi, I have a 2016 range river discovery sport and I have been looking everywhere for a lift kit is there anywhere you could like that you have found some ?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts