Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
All, I just put a set of 255/65/R17 on our 2017 DS. Working with the installer (Discount Tire) the max recommended outer diameter they could guarantee no rubbing was 30.12in. I don't know if this is recommended by Discount or by LR. I had in mind going with the 245/70R17 which give 30.5in outer diameter. I chose the Falkens instead of the BFGs because of the cost (50USD a corner + full size spare) and I read that the K02s are noisier than the Falkens.

By the way, my list of size calculations and available tires is below as is a picture of the installed tires.

I have not experienced any rubbing or contact in the last two weeks I've had them. The have a bit more road noise and a slight decrease in economy.

Keeping in mind you can probably get away with the 30.5in out diameter without a lift or spacers but you'll also decrease the usable travel and space in the wheel well for chains. (Though I'm not sure where you're going where you would need AT tires + chains.)
@Rob Bell to answer your question 17 or 18 there are a lot of good reasons to go with the smaller rim diameter to increase the amount of sidewall especially in situations where you might air down the tires, such as on sand. Larger sidewalls also give greater protection against pinching on hard obstacles. I live in SoCal so sand and rocks were my main concern.

With regards to width you actually gain more contact patch in a air down tire with greater diameter than by going a few cm wider. A wider tire also increases rolling resistance and will decrease economy all other things being equal. However, there is also the look, if you like that. IMO I like the tall narrow cookie cutter look.

You would also have to factor in the expense of getting a 17in rim. I went with the new Boxer from Black Rhino. Personally I think it looks the business.

Next time I need tires I will likely get a 2in lift and put taller tires on. Will you please let me know if you have any questions?

Best,
PH

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
@BrianC thanks!
@cartrucks I really liked the Cooper AT3 and have read good reviews. I will get a couple of pictures this weekend at full lock and post them as you requested. My gut sense is that they will probably fit without rubbing at full lock without spacers as long as the suspension is not loaded/compressed. Cool avatar pic, by the way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@psyvad Yes, definitely more wind noise and significantly reduced fuel economy. The DS was super-quiet to being with though. But that's the trade-off for the utility and look. It's a Front Runner, by the way. Fit perfectly.

My wife doesn't notice cause she's always got the radio cranked up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
@cartrucks

Following are the pictures you requested. This is the fronts (of course) at full lock. I tried to get a tape measure in there to give you an idea of the gap. Because of the awkward angle it looks on the tape to be MORE space than is actually there. For example at the front of the well at full lock it appears to be 1 1/4in (31mm) it's actually more like 1in (25mm).

The story is the same at the rear of the well which appears to be about 1in (25mm) but is more like 3/4in (19mm). By the way, that exposed screw (just below the tape) is more flush with the wheel well than it appears in the picture although it does have some prominence.

No problem to the top of the wheel at the front or rear tires.

Given that my tires calculated diameter is 30.1in you could probably get away with it without rubbing if the car was not loaded and the suspension was not compressed. It would be tight. I personally wouldn't do it unless I was also going to raise the suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
All,

Had the DS out for some light off-roading around Lake Arrowhead CA area last weekend. Conditions were mixed, some sand, some water some mud. Disco and tires did well for the most part. I used the mud/ruts program or sand program for most terrain. Also I found using sport mode with paddle shift was very helpful. Hill descent kicked on in a few cases and a really cool digital inclinometer showed up on the digital dash.

Following are some pictures. I also posted some video on youtube. Link below.

On my first attempt at the larger uphill climb you can see the front right spin in air which tells me it wasn't transferring torque to the tires with traction. I know we don't have locking differentials but with the program engaged I would have thought I still would have been able to climb it in that circumstance.

By the way, my buddies Armada (on 20in street tires) was not able to make it up either the smaller or the larger incline.

Does anyone have detailed info on the AWD system? Who is the supplier? (Is it Haldex?) How does it work exactly?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
@outbackgeo

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any technical documentation on the terrain system, what each setting does specifically? Being an engineer this would help me immensely when I apply it to driving. The owners manual information is sparse, to put it mildly. There's some general info out there about the Haldex but my understanding is that the performance is largely up to the software tuning specific to the mfg. LR engineers may have decided on different tuning than VW, for example.

For example, an earlier post mentioned that you should have terrain selected and the TCS turned off. To me, if you turned on a terrain setting it should automatically disengage TCS. But then, what do I know?

Did you take the LR driving course or did you just learn from experience about the diagonally opposite wheels?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts