Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customers will be able to sit inside the Discovery Sport, look around, and fold seats down even though the car isn't actually there. How? With a program on their iPhone.

The technology hinges on the Durovis Dive headset, which you put an iPhone into while running an app.

You look through this headset at a weird cardboard box, and the app simulates the presence of a Discovery Sport.

Land Rover describes the system as being "immersed in a detailed photo-realistic 3D model of the New Discovery Sport." It's not photo-realistic really, but it still looks pretty good.

Check out a video that shows the system below.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Finally they use this, I remember Mercedes used some very similar tech for Mercedes CLA displays. Great way to show people what it's like with a simulator like that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is pretty cool. Just trying out the technology itself is cool, and if that gets them to totally check out a Discovery Sport then Land Rover is probably okay with that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
it beats anything else at the moment as they probably have yet to get a Discovery, this tech should be getting people interested enough to see a real disco in person.

·
Registered
293 Posts
it beats anything else at the moment as they probably have yet to get a Discovery, this tech should be getting people interested enough to see a real disco in person.
exactly.. that's why they have it.
can't give people the real deal... throw them some simulator.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were in the dealership I would probably check this out but I think it would be more to see what the virtual reality technology is like and second to check out the Disco Sport.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I were in the dealership I would probably check this out but I think it would be more to see what the virtual reality technology is like and second to check out the Disco Sport.
Interesting.

Usually it's the other way around.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting.

Usually it's the other way around.
I guess it depends on how good the virtual reality tech was. I just get the impression that the experience wouldn't be so amazing that it is really like seeing the Disco Sport. If it was though, then I would be excited for both, but if not, I wouldn't find a poor quality look at the Discovery Sport to be that exciting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nonsense, I can wait. Do you make purchase decisions from only looking at the brochure pictures? I certainly hope not, how is this any more advanced than that?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nonsense, I can wait. Do you make purchase decisions from only looking at the brochure pictures? I certainly hope not, how is this any more advanced than that?
When did I ever say that I would purchase only based on pictures? No, I like to see what I am buying in person first. I wouldn't even visit the dealership for the VR tech, but if I was already there I would try it out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
When did I ever say that I would purchase only based on pictures? No, I like to see what I am buying in person first. I wouldn't even visit the dealership for the VR tech, but if I was already there I would try it out.
When did I ever say I was speaking to you?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean you responded right after my post. If you weren't talking to me, who were you talking to?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Exactly, anyone really serious about getting one would ultimately want to see the real deal.

I wouldn't waste my time to make the trip out to see some simulator in person, rather see the real deal in one shot and accomplished a lot all right there and then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts