Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone participated in the Land Rover Owner's Experience day at one of 3 Land Rover Experience center ?

I received an email from Land Rover and registered for the event next weekend (Feb 18) at the Land Rover Quail Lodge Resort in Carmel, CA.:)

The experience for half day including breakfast and lunch and 3 hours off road driving is $325 - very good price!

I wanted to see if I can also test drive the new full sized Discovery and Range Rover Velar while I was there...

Report with video & photos to follow!:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to the complementary land rover experience in Carmel after I purchased our LRDS last year. When I was there they gave us the same model we own to drive around in. I believe when you go to these events they give you the same model that you own unless there is a promotion going on. When I went, they gave us the big Discovery to race in the Peru race. that was fun. but that was a current promotion.

On a side note. Hollister Hills OVH park is really cool and Ive been there a couple of times to go off roading. It cost $5.

Enjoy
Ryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just booked my experience for May as part of another road trip vacation. Should be a great way to end a 2 week road trip ha. They sent us our confirmation yesterday showing we have a 2018 Discovery Sport booked for the event.

Thankfully in Canada we get the Land Rover experience for free as a perk for buying the vehicle. If you snap any photos and you're willing to share after your experience, please do @4sallypat

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just booked my experience for May as part of another road trip vacation. Should be a great way to end a 2 week road trip ha. They sent us our confirmation yesterday showing we have a 2018 Discovery Sport booked for the event.

Thankfully in Canada we get the Land Rover experience for free as a perk for buying the vehicle. If you snap any photos and you're willing to share after your experience, please do @4sallypat
Canadians are very lucky!

We US customers have to PAY in order to participate.
If we use our own vehicle, it's about half price.
If we use their vehicle, it's about $1000 for the day!

Looking at getting into the full sized Discovery since my lease is nearing the end - the dealer of course would like me to return and get another car from them.
So my US dealer where I purchased the DS has arranged for a short off road test drive of the new full sized Discovery (replaced out the LR4) while I am there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We are lucky in this case. However, my last vehicle was Mercedes Benz AMG and the american's who buy an AMG get a free track day and an opportunity to drive the full AMG line up. In Canada, we had to pay $3000 for that same opportunity. It should be consistent all across the board lol.

I love the new Discovery so I really hope that works out for you. I live close to a dealership so I see them on the road often here in Toronto. I am 50/50 torn between the Velar or the Discovery for our next SUV. Or holding on to our discovery sport and buying a little sports car top pair it with. Too many choices these days.

Dont forget to post pics!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is that you ^^ Very cool!
Yes, that's my DS and the LR instructor walked alongside for 3 hours on the off road trails - what a work out for him!
What he showed us for 3 hours was the most amazing and educational experience I have had with the brand.
I wished I took the 2 hour free lesson that all dealers are supposed to offer when you pick up your new LR - take a look at my POLL I put up for you to vote ---->

BTW if you see the small POV camera I mounted on the top roof rack rail, I have 3 hours of unedited video footage that I am working on shortening...

I am waiting to receive video from the other driver who had an Evoque - we are trading video since the POV camera caught his Evoque in front of me.
Interestingly, the Evoque had many issues going thru certain trail features due to the lowered clearance and smaller break-over angles of the shorter wheelbase.
The DS had no such issues and did not have to watch the approach & departure angles so I got to attack the obstacle with ease...

I was so surprised the DS was very capable alongside the "big boys" Range Rovers that were on the same trail.
The Range Rover and LR4 owners during lunch were surprised when asked if my DS was able to negotiate the same water, hills, ruts, mud, and side angle features.

The only downside with the DS was the single speed traction of all 4 wheels, it takes more fuel to negotiate the trail than the big boys who were able to switch their Range Rovers to low speed transfer 4WD.

Our instructor was excellent when it came to being able to explain how to handle every trail feature.
What appeared to be impossible to cross, our instructor was able to show how to get around all the trail obstacles, short of rock / boulder hopping!

Here's a cool short video on the 2 wheel obstacle - Never knew a DS can handle such a daunting and very scary obstacle - you had to be in the car to experience a near rollover....
https://vimeo.com/256717272

1 - 8 of 8 Posts