Discovery Sport Forum banner

Jacks for off-roading?

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  outbackgeo 
#1 ·
I'm trying to work out what the best jacking option is for my DS when I'm away camping. I will often be a 40+ minute drive away from any hard surfaces if I need to change a tyre or if I need to lift a wheel to jam some logs underneath etc.,

I really don't fancy using the scissor jack on sand, even with a secure base plate, and the OEM one may not jack high enough (which i should probably check) now that the car is lifted, has bigger tyres, and longer travel - although only about 65mm taller.

Has anyone had to change a tyre on sand or soft mud? Has anyone come up with any interesting/safe solutions?

I've ruled out hi-lift jacking with a wheel adapter due to the shape of the alloys and the fact they are soft as butter (and I can't find any other adapter that would enable me to safely reach/use the jacking points). Exhaust jacking is not suitable for wheel changes really so my initial thoughts are to just get a 4T bottle jack with one of those expensive base plates but I'm worried that the throw may not be enough to lift a wheel from the 4 standard jacking points. Weight, size, and cost are all considerations roughly in that order.

Let me know if you have any ideas 🙂

See less See more
#3 ·
I tried to use a bottle jack but could not find one that has the correct fitting where the jack joins the DS chassis. There are no flat, wide jack points under the vehicle so it is critical to use the narrow vertical chassis jack point. Using the bottle jack with a conventional round flat contact plate, the DS slipped off as it lifted since it moves sideways on lifting.
I am back to the scissor jack.

#4 ·
I have found pinch weld bottle jack adapters as in the picture below but they're all US items difficult to source here in Aus. I did find some options for this on ebay out of China but I'll want to get a good look at them first. I'm thinking about having a mate weld up something like the image below.

In my search for info online I did find a useful pdf on another disco sport forum, it might be a document from an Evoke (I can't be entirely sure) but I suspect the same trolley jack/axle stand points exist on mine. I will have a good look sometime when i feel like getting underneath with a light.

Ultimately, I want to be able to use the pinch welds primarily because they are easy to locate, should be secure with the right jack adapter, and they will be the most accessible for a wheel change on a soft surface. I figure if I can find a 4T or 6T double ram bottle jack and a decent off road baseplate I'll be covered in any situation.

Reactions: drumrunner
#6 ·
I've thought about it but while they do work great on sand they're not great with twin tail pipes or down-turned pipes and mine are both so I'd probably have to use my compressor, not that that's a big deal. I'm just not sure I'd trust one to make a wheel change from my limited experience of them. I could be wrong, though, so I appreciate the suggestion. I'm definitely thinking about it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.