Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Europe is officially in full on diesel destroying mode. First it was the french and now its the brits to come out swinging against oil-burners...

UK minister admits supporting diesel cars was the 'wrong' decision

hadow Environment Minister Barry Gardiner of the UK's liberal Labour Party told Channel 4's Dispatches his government's decision to base the country's car taxes on CO2 output was "the wrong decision," because it had the unintended effect of pushing consumers into diesels.

While diesels produce less CO2 than gas engines, they emit four times as many nitrous oxides and 22 times the particulate soot. Both of these pollutants can harm the lungs and blood vessels, and can lead to heart disease, strokes and diabetes, The Independent reports.

"Certainly the impact of that decision has been a massive problem for public health in this country," MP Gardiner said.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Funny how Europe is turning away from diesel just as diesel is picking up some steam in NA. I think that diesel and petrol is on the way out though as hybrid and electric technology continues to improve.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny how Europe is turning away from diesel just as diesel is picking up some steam in NA. I think that diesel and petrol is on the way out though as hybrid and electric technology continues to improve.
Good luck manufacturing, shipping and powering those vehicles with out gasoline or diesel...

I'd like to see you get your hands on a Disco that needs to be transported by diesel truck or train to the port and then loaded onto a container ship powered by marine diesel in order to bring it to port on this side put it in another diesel powered train or truck in order to arrive at your dealership which was constructed using diesel powered equipment and lights kept on by coal fired electricity...

Its much more complex then fossil fuels being on the way out when its integrated into each and every facet of day to day life... say hello to the middle ages again ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah being that tied into every day life with products that get shipped to us makes it even tougher

·
Registered
284 Posts
I suppose at the larger level of shipping and everything petrol and gas aren't on the way out so soon, and I also think that when I say that I am thinking that it is heading more towards hybrids that still use fossil fuels, not just out and out electricity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There might be other alternatives to diesel but it is definitely a better option to gas. The change is immediate but the changes to the environment would be seen at a gradual pace. Regardless of how slow the whole process might be, but it is still worth all the efforts for the long run.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Notice that the European diesels do not employ the very strict emissions requirements here in the USA. Europe is looser when it comes to emissions plus most people do

In the US, we have to meet the EPA/CARB/SCAQMD guidelines for diesel engine emissions so our engines have no soot, no NOx nor CO2 emissions due to the post exhaust urea injection hardware...

In the US, diesels were gaining popularity and I was one that was waiting for the new diesel engine Disco but that never came about because of the VW/Audi/Porsche diesel cheat scandal. VAG went cheap and tried to save a few hundred dollars per car by not putting in a urea injection system (SCR) and got caught trying to be like a European car that emits a lot of pollution.

If VAG did it correctly like the BMW diesel engines (I had the 335d and X5d) they would not have to face billions of dollars of losses...
And I would have loved to drive the torquey diesel LR Disco instead of a gas engine....

I am waiting for the new Jaguar F Pace diesel for the US, you bet I will be switching over...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts