Discovery Sport Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
There is a menu option for the auto-dip feature which "dip" side mirrors automatically when reversing. Full folding of those mirrors when locking the vehicule can only be disabled by the dealer, at least on my 2016 HSE Lux.
That's right, that's what the manual says. Did you get it done? My dealer says they can't do it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
No I didn't.
I received my car last feb so i can say that I had it for a full winter here in Montreal. A few times i had an ice built up on the horizontal part between the mirror and the door and on unlocking the car, the mirror did not take is place. Removed the ice and unfolded the mirror with the buttons. No damage at all. It seems that there is a mecanism like a clutch that disengage when an obstruction happens.

And btw I don't use the autodip feature because I find it tooslow when parking. Or I park too fast ;)
Reverse, Drive, Reverse and the mirrors are still on their first move...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chuck,

Kind of curious.

You have decided to not purchase a DS and instead have purchased a MB GLC (good for you). Yet you still come to this site to bash the DS with frequency (especially regarding your very strong opinions on the B-pillar issue) and promote other vehicles, primarily the MB. I moved from an Infiniti to the DS, but don't visit the Infiniti forums... If I didn't know better (and maybe I don't), I'd think you work for MB.

I know there are some prospective DS purchasers out there that may come to this site to get a feel for the Pros/Cons of the DS (I didn't - spent quite a bit of time looking at reviews on YouTube, etc.), but the vast majority of members here already own a DS. So, suggesting that we check out the MB and shop and compare seems a little odd.:confused:

Just sayin'
no, i am not a MB employee. i spent a lot of time with dealer building a DS Lux, then saw b pillar issue, then dealer nor JLR corp could answer my questions around that issue. i then went hunting for another vehicle and found the GLC. i am not really bashing the DS, just pointing out some stuff for others to chomp on. i was here on this site before i went to MB.

i dont really have much more to say about the DS other than hopefully the 2018 re-model comes major-issue free.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
No I didn't.
I received my car last feb so i can say that I had it for a full winter here in Montreal. A few times i had an ice built up on the horizontal part between the mirror and the door and on unlocking the car, the mirror did not take is place. Removed the ice and unfolded the mirror with the buttons. No damage at all. It seems that there is a mecanism like a clutch that disengage when an obstruction happens.

And btw I don't use the autodip feature because I find it tooslow when parking. Or I park too fast ;)
Reverse, Drive, Reverse and the mirrors are still on their first move...
When we had freezing rain in Ottawa the mirrors didn't fold properly, so yes, clearly there's some kind of disengaging mechanism in there to prevent damage. However, I don't trust that mechanism for the long haul, so I would rather turn off the feature and prevent wear and tear by only folding the mirrors manually when I need to.

As for the auto-dip feature, I sometimes like to line up very close to the curb or the side of our driveway, so by the time I need the mirrors they're in position. You're right, though, it does take a few seconds for them to get there, and I don't wait for them either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
OK, the mirror saga continues.

Here's an example of someone not able to unfold their mirrors after some freezing rain:

Discovery Sport Forums - Another DS in snow

Don't want my wife to have that experience when she's done work and needs to drive home - obviously you can't safely drive with the mirrors folded, and I wouldn't want to go hacking away at the ice in fear of damaging the paint.

It absolutely baffles me that the DS can't turn off the auto-fold feature. This is possible in every competitor, so this is clearly an oversight on LR's part. Took the car to the dealer (since the manual suggests that the auto-fold feature can be disabled by a trained technician), but they couldn't do it. The service manager then went on to argue about the semantics of what the manual is saying, and at that point I decided I will never ever deal with Thornhill Jaguar/Land Rover again. Extremely unprofessional attitude. Just a straight apology that it can't be done with a promise to follow up with LR centrally to see if this feature can be made available in a future update would have been enough, and we would have walked away happy. Clearly someone at Thornhill completely failed Customer Service 101.

We have taken it upon ourselves to pursue this with LR and I have spoken with a CSR who will look into it for us. This should be such a simple software fix.

In other notes, I took it for a drive yesterday where I used the sport mode and paddle shifters extensively. It definitely changes the character of the car. Makes it much more aggressive and responsive. However, a couple of issues.

First of all, the transmission is slow to upshift. When accelerating and needing to upshift, the car keeps building rpm in the current gear for at least a second before engaging the next gear that you have asked for - it is very noticeable.

Secondly, I would have preferred to have the manual shift feature on the centre console rather than on the paddles (realize this is impossible with the rotary shifter). The reason being that when going through a turn I would sometimes like to shift, but with the steering wheel upside down it gets confusing. With 9 gears you'd be surprised at how often you need to shift while turning.

Tried to downshift multiple gears and it seemed to do that fairly quickly, being ready to pounce when I hit the throttle. Overall happy with the experience, but I'll probably keep it in full auto most of the time. My kids in the backseat thought it was great fun, though! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agree about the mirrors, jabba. I never really thought about them being frozen folded (not usually a problem in Texas!). My Infiniti had folding mirrors, but I had to flip a switch to do so - and thought that was a pain. But, now, hearing about them being frozen folded, makes more sense. It should be easy enough to disable without having to go to the dealer (who apparently can't do it). I wonder if there is a fuse that you can pull that would only affect the mirrors?

I have noticed the slow upshift as well. I had Mazda CX-7 a few years ago with turbo, and noticed the same issue on upshift in sport mode with manual shift. Agree the paddle shifters are kind of cool, but can be a really pain when trying shift with a lot of steering input - especially when that means having to move your hands on the wheel due the rotations lock-to-lock. But, it isn't a sports car, so...

Glad you seem to like the DS otherwise...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would love to sit with LR designers to give input for improvements for the 2018 model year. I'm not talking about extreme, costly upgrades, but really just tweaking and refining the niggly stuff that shouldn't be on a car of this price range:

- heated/cooled seats should be able to be controlled by a single button on the dash
- Infotainment - allow scanning from preset to preset for crying out loud (also a scan through all available channels, whether preset or not)
- Infotainment - scrolling of song info.
- Better Infotainment controls from steering wheel. I had quite a bit of control on my Infiniti that we don't have on the DS. Which means,
- Infotainment screen closer to the driver - it can be a reach...
- Mirror folding that can be easily disabled
- Auto Stop-start that can be easily, permanently disabled (re-enabled if desired)
- Improvements to the gearbox - can be jerky (no, not just the driver :))
- 6-cylinder engine (or diesel for those that prefer that)
- Better camera selection control. I have the surround camera, but find it impossible to set the options for the cameras I want to see when I want to see them
- I would like bigger storage in console between seats
- Slightly larger sunglass holder - mine don't fit

There are other, nit picky things, but these are at the top of my list - admittedly nit picky, but even with these, I'd buy again.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The transmission will get better over time. They say it learns your driving style. But it takes awhile.
Ours used to frustrate the **** out of me but now there's not a lot of hesitation or lag. Not much hunt and shift any longer either. The thing is a rocket ship when I want it to be.

I also still have some fun driving it in sport mode and I love to use the paddles in sport mode.

PS... sport mode is designed to hold gears longer. It's supposed to do that. Try driving down the road in D at any given speed, then shift to sport. It will downshift every time. Enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
PS... sport mode is designed to hold gears longer. It's supposed to do that. Try driving down the road in D at any given speed, then shift to sport. It will downshift every time. Enjoy it. :)
Yeah, know it's supposed to hold gears longer - sometimes the transition, especially in lower gears, takes a while - kind of like when you were learning manual shifting and trying to find 3rd from 2nd...

So far my biggest issue with the gearbox is minor. There has been a time or two in traffic when the car ahead suddenly slows to make a turn into a business or something, and you have to slow down. Accelerating out of that to normal speed was really clunky. The gearbox didn't drop down quickly enough, so I was trying to accelerate from about 5mph in 5th gear (or so it felt), until I gave it a little more Welly (for the Brits :D ), then it dropped a couple of gears and took off in a lurch... A bit awkward, especially if you have passengers - they think you're nuts:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Holding the gears longer, absolutely - when you're in auto mode. When I'm in control, I want instant reactions when I ask for a different gear, but when I upshift it's basically "one missippi, two miss..." and then something finally happens. I'm not asking for Formula 1 like blips, but this is almost glacial.

It's not a big deal, because with 9 gears I'm not going to use the paddles much anyway, and I'm fine with the transmission otherwise, except for the odd hesitation as Larry mentioned above. I do find that I can prevent the hesitation by being a little proactive and step a little on the throttle just before I need more force, but it can be difficult to always get this right, and in some cases you don't have time to do it.

And btw, Larry, I totally agree with your list. I think most of those things are truly minor that could even be fixed with updates, so it wouldn't take much for this car to go from great to truly exceptional.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah, know it's supposed to hold gears longer - sometimes the transition, especially in lower gears, takes a while - kind of like when you were learning manual shifting and trying to find 3rd from 2nd...

So far my biggest issue with the gearbox is minor. There has been a time or two in traffic when the car ahead suddenly slows to make a turn into a business or something, and you have to slow down. Accelerating out of that to normal speed was really clunky. The gearbox didn't drop down quickly enough, so I was trying to accelerate from about 5mph in 5th gear (or so it felt), until I gave it a little more Welly (for the Brits :D ), then it dropped a couple of gears and took off in a lurch... A bit awkward, especially if you have passengers - they think you're nuts:eek:
Yep, I know exactly what you're describing. Ours used to do that a lot but I swear its improved over time. Its actually pretty dayam good right now. Its running and shifting way better than its first 6-8 months of ownership.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's good to know Disco - will hope for improvements (though I wonder how frequently I have to encounter that situation before it learns!).

Also forgot to add to the list of "improvements" - a compass. How freakin' hard is it to have a compass - preferably in the center display, rather than on the GPS screen (though one there would be helpful as well).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can attest to the fact that the truck shifts a lot better now. Could be that it has learnt my driving style. Could be that the dealer updated the software. Either way, it doesn't act like a drunken horse when I start uphill from a dead stop.

12000 miles and now the speakers are constantly buzzing on bass notes. Time to head to the dealer again. Sign.

·
Registered
590 Posts
That's good to know Disco - will hope for improvements (though I wonder how frequently I have to encounter that situation before it learns!).

Also forgot to add to the list of "improvements" - a compass. How freakin' hard is it to have a compass - preferably in the center display, rather than on the GPS screen (though one there would be helpful as well).
I agree on the compass....REALLY Land Rover? ...really?

It took awhile for the computer to make the adjustments. Although they can update shift mapping if they needed to, I dont think they did and I dont thin it was anything else that the dealership did. The word is that the computer learns your driving style....or at the very least, learns real world driving styles.
My only guess as to the reason its so sluggish at first is that its tuned for EPA mileage requirements or something. :eek:
But I really have no idea.
I did drive some loaners about a year ago that felt more "peppy" but now, our Disco seems to have caught up. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Transmission definitely smoothed out after a few 100 miles of driving around. My MB did the same. Also found that ECO mode works great in city driving. Yes if you leave it on and drive highway, I only seem to manage .5-1.5 better mpg, however in the city, I found 3-5 mpg advantage with it turned on!!! I just leave it on all the time now and only turn it off if I need more aggressive driving. So to recap, in the city with ECO, I get about 23 - 25 mpg.

LOVE this suv! I think the only thing I don't like is that I wish the steering will would pull out about 1 inch more. Being 6 foot tall, I like to have the seat back a bit further.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts