Discovery Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
Not in the transmission. The rear axle gets no power normally but turns into a On Demand AWD when needed. Years ago AWD meant that all the wheels had power at all times now it seems to mean occasionally you will have AWD. Better fuel economy but not as effective.

I was told by the dealer that normally the Disco has a 70 - 30 power split and locks up in steps. But is that true ??? The 4X4 screen shows the changes but it also shows no additional lock up when driving on the highway.

Does anyone know the actual ratio that Land Rover actually gives out as the specs??

·
Registered
43 Posts
The rear axle gets no power normally but turns into a On Demand AWD when needed.
i not following. how does the rear diff get no power if something does not disconnect it?
i think what you have is, a AWD system that has bias at any given time. its "AWD" as in it is literally all wheels driven, but transfer case / diff allows for bias.

from what i see online, Active Driveline is a GKN Driveline system, the std DS driveline is a 5th gen Haldex Traction awd system (which is now BorgWarner TTS). The GKN awd system has torque vectoring, Haldex does not. GKN allows for better fuel economy and less wear on parts due to the way it disconnects.

from what i see online, the GKN awd system is better than the Haldex.

http://www.gkn.com/driveline/technologyandinnovation/Pages/disconnecting-for-fuel-efficiency.aspx

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
Not in the transmission. The rear axle gets no power normally but turns into a On Demand AWD when needed. Years ago AWD meant that all the wheels had power at all times now it seems to mean occasionally you will have AWD. ??
I was answering your question about the active drive-line. I believe like most AWD systems it uses an electric clutch to engage the rear axle.

The standard haldex setup always transfers power to all 4 wheels giving constant 4X4 performance but loses fuel economy because of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
All right - back on topic! :)

We're back from our Ottawa/Montreal trip over the holidays and the DS is closing in on 3,000 km.

Had the chance to drive it in some really heavy winter conditions, including slush, deep snow and freezing rain, and never felt that the car wasn't fully up to the task of handling it. In the freezing rain it was really useful to have the heated windshield. In the deep snow I used the snow/gravel setting, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made. I later read that LR recommends using the sand setting for deep, loose snow, and they even suggest you turn the traction control off. Didn't do that, but that sounds like it could be fun! I'm sure there will still be plenty of opportunity for that this winter. I had the TC kick in several times, and it definitely saps a lot of power.

Otherwise, the car was great on a long trip. Fairly comfortable seats and quiet on the highway. At least it was quiet until we hit some asphalt with small longitudinal ridges in it. Then there was a fairly loud high-pitched whine from the tires that got annoying real quick. Mind you, I'm on 18" Continental WinterContact SI snow tires, so no idea how other tires might react to this kind of surface.

This kind of car will of course never be as comfortable and plush on the highway as a good sedan. I have driven the same route in the past in an Impala and in a Camry and they were both more comfortable highway cruisers. But, for a tall SUV with big wheels and a slight talent for offroading, the DS did remarkably well. The seats are OK for my 6'4" frame. Definitely more comfortable than our old Protege5, but not quite as comfortable as the Murano we used for the same trip a few months ago.

Now, the fuel consumption is a different chapter, though. On the way to Ottawa I was barely able to get it under 10l/100km (23.5 mpg) - measured at the pump. This was with a fully loaded car (trunk filled to the ceiling) and 5 people (three adults and 2 kids), driving around 120 km/h (~75 miles/h) in temperatures around -4 celsius (25 fahrenheit). I understand that all these things contributed to the higher consumption, but the thing is, with the Murano (V6) we did the same trip, with the same load and got around 8l/100km (~29 mpg). On the way back, the load was a little lighter, the temperature was a steady +4 degrees (39 f) and I lowered the speed to around 112 km/h (70 miles/h). Measured around 9l/100km at the pump (26 mpg), which I suppose is in line with EPA estimates, but still a lot worse than the V6 Murano. I just don't think this 4-cylinder turbo business is quite what it is meant to be. Really wish for a North American diesel soon! Btw, when I measured 9l/100km (26 mpg) at the pump the dash display said 7.8 l/100km (30 mpg)...

Just a few more pros and cons:

Pros:
- Cabin lights/ illumination - especially night light - just overall very tastefully done. Very pleasant "tone" of light/colour used at night - no glare anywhere and easily able to find all controls

- Voice recognition! - Yes, really like this feature! Never typed in an address yet - even in Montreal (when we figured out how to do the Americanized pronunciation of the French street names...!). I also use it to switch radio stations. Just haven't been able to find out what the voice command for "stop navigation" is, but I haven't really looked that hard. The funny thing is that for some reason the system can't recognize mu daughter's voice, no matter how much she tries (even going deep trying to emulate dad!), while it picks up my son's voice no problem at all. You can imagine the satisfaction that brought him...!

-I like how the bottom rear of the front seats is rounded off at the outer edge to make it easier to swing your feet in and out of the back seat - just a really thoughtful design feature.

Cons:
- As much as I like the cabin/button illumination, they forgot about the buttons at the bottom left of the dashboard (left of steering wheel). I sometimes use the tailgate button down there just as I get out of my seat, but when it's dark, I'm grappling around trying to find it. The lane keep assist button is also down there, but after having tried the system on the highway I don't think I'll use it much anyway, so that doesn't bother me as much as the tailgate button.

Otherwise there's been absolutely no issues so far. No squeaks, no rattles, no ticking noise. The car seems really well put together and we're overall absolutely thrilled with it. Still early days, I know, but so far, so good.

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
All right - back on topic! :)

Now, the fuel consumption is a different chapter, though. On the way to Ottawa I was barely able to get it under 10l/100km (23.5 mpg) - measured at the pump. This was with a fully loaded car (trunk filled to the ceiling) and 5 people (three adults and 2 kids), driving around 120 km/h (~75 miles/h) in temperatures around -4 celsius (25 fahrenheit). I understand that all these things contributed to the higher consumption, but the thing is, with the Murano (V6) we did the same trip, with the same load and got around 8l/100km (~29 mpg). On the way back, the load was a little lighter, the temperature was a steady +4 degrees (39 f) and I lowered the speed to around 112 km/h (70 miles/h). Measured around 9l/100km at the pump (26 mpg), which I suppose is in line with EPA estimates, but still a lot worse than the V6 Murano. I just don't think this 4-cylinder turbo business is quite what it is meant to be. Really wish for a North American diesel soon! Btw, when I measured 9l/100km (26 mpg) at the pump the dash display said 7.8 l/100km (30 mpg)...

I think that transport Canada rates the Disco at 9L/100km on the highway and the Lincoln MKC using the same 2 litre motor is also rated at 9L/100KM so it looks like you actually did better with your speed and load.

LOL My first fill up showed the dash display to be almost dead on with my calculations (dealer may have over filled it).. Since then I have experienced app 14 % error :eek:from actual fill ups and dash display L/100KM. I guess that Land Rover knows 99% of owners of all cars never actually calculate the fuel economy and trust in the dash display. Extra steps in calculating L/110KM as opposed to MPG

Oh my neighbour owned an Murano and he was on first name basis with the tow truck operator, nice car but his was a lemon.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the update, Jabba. Glad you like your DS - especially in your experience with less than optimal roads. We rarely see snow, so I'll have to live vicariously through you:p (I live in Texas, but grew up in snowy western NY). Agree that the lighting for the switches to the lower left of the steering column is terrible. My Infiniti had switches in the same location, but they were backlit.

Regarding MPG, I really didn't buy the DS for mileage - though the DS mileage is better than the Infiniti FX-37 I came from. I bought the DS despite the 4-cyl turbo - which performs very well in most situations (there are a few times in traffic when it comes off turbo and jumps back on - annoying. Passengers think I can't drive!). Would love a 6-cyl!

I do have a question, though, regarding lane departure warning. I'm curious why you want to disable it (have seen same comment from someone else)? I have mine on all the time and don't find it annoying at all, in fact has warned me a time or two. Also, why disable it with the switch on the left of the steering wheel? There is a menu option under Driving Features (as I recall) that allows you to either turn on or turn off the LDW.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the update, Jabba. Glad you like your DS - especially in your experience with less than optimal roads. We rarely see snow, so I'll have to live vicariously through you:p (I live in Texas, but grew up in snowy western NY). Agree that the lighting for the switches to the lower left of the steering column is terrible. My Infiniti had switches in the same location, but they were backlit.

Regarding MPG, I really didn't buy the DS for mileage - though the DS mileage is better than the Infiniti FX-37 I came from. I bought the DS despite the 4-cyl turbo - which performs very well in most situations (there are a few times in traffic when it comes off turbo and jumps back on - annoying. Passengers think I can't drive!). Would love a 6-cyl!

I do have a question, though, regarding lane departure warning. I'm curious why you want to disable it (have seen same comment from someone else)? I have mine on all the time and don't find it annoying at all, in fact has warned me a time or two. Also, why disable it with the switch on the left of the steering wheel? There is a menu option under Driving Features (as I recall) that allows you to either turn on or turn off the LDW.
First of all, I agree with you regarding mileage. We didn't buy it primarily with mileage in mind (would have gotten the X3 diesel instead!) either. It's just that these four-banger turbo engines are billed as having such a great mileage advantage, and I find that not to be the case. If there's no mileage advantage I'd much rather (just like you) have a 6-cylinder. I've heard similar complaints about the new XC90 (a car we seriously considered), and lots of owners say they would rather have a 5 or 6-cylinder (Volvo was known for making quite a good 5-cylinder engine in the recent past).

That being said, I also find the DS engine to be good as long as I hit that sweet spot where it plays nice with the transmission. That takes a bit of practice, and I don't always get it right. When my wife drives it she just wants immediate action when she stomps on the fast pedal, so she often gets disappointed having to wait a few seconds while the transmission figures out what the heck it's being asked to do. A different engine or transmission (or both!) would definitely be an improvement.

Not sure what to say about LDW. I just don't find it very useful. I tried it on the way to Ottawa when it was dark and I was tired, but I didn't have any instances of drifting close to the lane markings that I wasn't able to catch before the steering wheel started vibrating. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to keep it on all the time, if nothing else just to force you to indicate all the time (something I'm anal about anyway!), but that can get annoying the odd time when there's nobody around and you just need to move over into a turning or exit lane and don't want to bother signaling.

I'm fine with using the button though, rather than hunt around for it in the settings menu. Makes it easily accessible when I want it (if only that button was backlit!).

In response to Bill, you're right, our fuel consumption is actually in line with official ratings, so I'm not really complaining, I'm really just griping about the lack of fuel economy gains with these 4-cylinder turbo engines (see above).

As for the Murano, it just happens to be most recent reference point as a rental car, and we did like it in many ways, but overall we obviously prefer the DS. Have heard of some issues with the Murano and Nissan in general. Their CVT was a reliability disaster for a while, especially in the Pathfinder. Not sure if it's gotten any better lately.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks, jabba. I was also looking at the Murano, but decided to go with the DS for several reasons. Glad to hear that you had experience with the Murano and decided to go the DS route - helps me sleep better;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the mileage considering the size of the vehicle. As for the performance of the turbo, if you go to manual shift, it will flat out fly. I have my paddles set for both D/S so I can drive out around town and let it shift automatically or when I decide I need strong acceleration I can use the paddles. If you want to go back to Auto, just hold the paddle down for 2 seconds and it converts back to D mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks jabba for the real world view.

the DS was #1 on my list for a new vehicle, but due to some issues with DS (and tata in general), i went seeking a new #1 and found the MB GLC. the two are very similar, MB a tad less $$, but i found the GLC to be a tad more refined.

not knocking DS (less the b pillar issue), but folks should definitely checkout the GLC.

from just pics alone, the GLC seems more "euro", the DS is like older cousin of Kia Soul.
4matic vs the DS optional awd, i would prefer the optional DS awd system, but this is one of those "what am i using the vehicle for" Q's, i actually bought the rwd GLC because i already own awd gx470 and a tacoma 4x4.
this URL lets you compare vehicles. the GLC outperforms the DS. shop before you buy.
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chuck,

Kind of curious.

You have decided to not purchase a DS and instead have purchased a MB GLC (good for you). Yet you still come to this site to bash the DS with frequency (especially regarding your very strong opinions on the B-pillar issue) and promote other vehicles, primarily the MB. I moved from an Infiniti to the DS, but don't visit the Infiniti forums... If I didn't know better (and maybe I don't), I'd think you work for MB.

I know there are some prospective DS purchasers out there that may come to this site to get a feel for the Pros/Cons of the DS (I didn't - spent quite a bit of time looking at reviews on YouTube, etc.), but the vast majority of members here already own a DS. So, suggesting that we check out the MB and shop and compare seems a little odd.:confused:

Just sayin'

Reactions: vvarma

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah, I'm with Larry on this one. Not exactly sure what the purpose is of posting GLC promotional info in here. It doesn't even fit with the topic of the thread. Maybe you should start a "What other vehicle than the DS did you consider?" type of thread and continue the discussion there.

Now, that being said, we did consider the GLC. We never actually test drove it, but we had extended seat time in it and it just wasn't for us. Felt much more cramped inside bot front and rear. The Euro look you're talking about was a real turn-off for my wife (I'm undecided), and she also couldn't stand the interior. We both find the controls are much better laid out in the DS and the combination of touchscreen controls and real buttons is just right.

In the picture posted above I think there's absolutely no doubt that the DS is absolutely stunning, while the GLC just looks like a slightly raised hatchback/station wagon. The GLK actually stood out much more.

Anyway, back on topic. My wife is at the dealer today to get them to turn off the auto-mirror folding feature. She's hoping to also get them to do the audio update (which we just learned about!) and check if any other updates are outstanding. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jabba - isn't there a menu option to auto-mirror folding feature? Maybe not - can't recall off the top of my head.

On another topic, snowing right now in Dallas! Not heavy and not sticking (ground is too warm), so I don't think I'll be able to try our the snow setting:(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Jabba - isn't there a menu option to auto-mirror folding feature? Maybe not - can't recall off the top of my head.

On another topic, snowing right now in Dallas! Not heavy and not sticking (ground is too warm), so I don't think I'll be able to try our the snow setting:(
Trust me, I'd take sun and heat over snow any day, so don't be too sad! :D

There is no menu-option for the mirrors in the 2017. Manual specifically says to go to a service centre to disable the feature. Wife is at the dealer right now and they are telling her that they have never done this kind of thing before and they might not be able to do it. Their computer also tells them that we have no pending updates, so I guess we won't get the preset cycling from the steering wheel... :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just was in for service last week (had an Evoque as a loaner - couldn't wait to get back to the DS) and they did all the updates - no changes to infotainment:crying:

·
Registered
125 Posts
@jabba1900 how does the discovery handle the Toronto pot holes? Also, how often if at all do you drive in straight paddle mode and how do you find the transmission is paddle mode? My apologies if you already covered this and I missed it. (Sorry but expect a ton of questions while I wait another 4.5 months for mine to arrive. I am living vicariously through you haha ;) )

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why the 4.5 month wait, Jsquared?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
@jabba1900 how does the discovery handle the Toronto pot holes? Also, how often if at all do you drive in straight paddle mode and how do you find the transmission is paddle mode? My apologies if you already covered this and I missed it. (Sorry but expect a ton of questions while I wait another 4.5 months for mine to arrive. I am living vicariously through you haha ;) )
No worries - just ask away!

I find that it handles potholes really well. When we first got it in November it had 19" all seasons, and now we have 18" winters on it. I find it rides a little smoother with the 18" tires and I feel road imperfections less, but it's a subtle difference. In terms of hitting potholes both sets of tires do a great job of soaking it up and so does the suspension. This was actually one of the things that surprised me, because I thought the bigger wheels would make it more harsh. Our old Protege has 16" wheels and a pretty hard (read: sporty) suspension and hitting a pothole feels like your teeth will come out and the front end will fall into pieces. The DS just floats right over them.

I have tried the paddle mode once and should try it again to get a better feel for it. I haven't tested how it will handle quickly blipping down a couple of gears when quick acceleration is needed. Only tried straight shifts up and down and I thought it was very quick and smooth. Definitely feels like you have more control over the car and the bonus is that the centre display will tell you what gear you're in. With 9 of them it's easy to get lost and when it's in auto mode I'm sometimes curious about what gear I'm in.

Mind you, I have limited previous experience with paddle shifters, but I've read elsewhere that DS owners find that using them improves the responsiveness of the car and prevents some of the delay and hesitation that sometimes happens when the 9-speed is trying to figure out what to do next.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Trust me, I'd take sun and heat over snow any day, so don't be too sad! :D

There is no menu-option for the mirrors in the 2017. Manual specifically says to go to a service centre to disable the feature. Wife is at the dealer right now and they are telling her that they have never done this kind of thing before and they might not be able to do it. Their computer also tells them that we have no pending updates, so I guess we won't get the preset cycling from the steering wheel... :(
There is a menu option for the auto-dip feature which "dip" side mirrors automatically when reversing. Full folding of those mirrors when locking the vehicule can only be disabled by the dealer, at least on my 2016 HSE Lux.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts