Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I will/should be a new 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE owner by Wednesday. (My order should arrive today and I can pick it up next week) I have always wanted a Land Rover or Range Rover my whole life.

I have this incredible fear that I am making a big mistake after reading some issues people have with Land Rovers on this forum.

Are you all still happy with your purchase either during or after having problems resolved?

I can still get out of this purchase if coaxed in that direction but wanted to know what you all would do if you were in my situation or had it to do over again?

I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks-Ryan

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm really happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well... What are you planning on doing with your Disco Sport?

First thoughts, you put the money out for an HSE which is great! There are some fun features you're getting that my SE is missing out on including adaptive HID's, Trailer assist, Subwoofer (added one though), additional cameras, cheaper roof rail option... List might go on but thats all I can come up with.

I bought mine to use and abuse!! I live in Northern California so have access to tons of camping spots, mud, dirt, sand, and snow. In the month I've owned mine I have played on the beach (bodega area), driven unplowed roads in the snow, towed my 57 Vintage camper, and even tested the AWD system doing mud donuts :p Everything I've asked the Disco to do, its performed fantastic and even looks amazing while doing it.

Some things to be proud of. It shares the same drivetrain as a Focus ST. Need a cheap oil change, o2, MAF sensor? No problem!!! Taking apart the interior is actually very simple and the clip system makes sense (unlike honda... or worse Mercedes) Go buy a set of E sockets so you can pull the seats. 4 bolts and you can flip them over the back seats for a really good vacuuming.

Some things that are dumb... Yea the ZF transverse 9 speed is awkward... It wants to shift all the time when in and out of boost. You'll get use to it. Will it last. Who knows?? At-least its not DSG where schedules services are extremely expensive. If I didn't lease mine, I would be chipping the engine to gain a smoother torque curve (less peaky shifting).

Other than that. Enjoy it man! I feel you're playing "fun" in the CUV spot when your competitors are Kia/Hyundai (no thx), Audi/VW (boooorining) unless its an SQ5, and the X3... not my fav either... :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This will be the weekend warrior vehicle, we travel to places in the winter time that have tons of snow, and a few long road trips during the summer. there is a off road park near my house, however I never went there with our Jeep Liberty (replacing with DS because of loud Sky Slider) but would like to try it in this. Camping will be done with this but my Subaru is capable for that. Ill eventually have a tow hitch put on (cant do it now since the DS was a bit more than what we were expecting to spend)

Thanks for the input. Our local dealership let us borrow a DS for a weekend and we didn't notice the transmission or the turbo lag or thrusts. but we were just out for leisure drives. We loved it during the weekend.

Just getting close to the time I will be picking it up so I have a bit of buyers remorse but I think once I get it and hopefully it doesn't have issues (probably will though) ill love it.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
211 Posts
Would be really happy if they had a 6-cyl, normally aspirated version (I know some want the diesel - I have diesel experience so can't say one way or the other). Tranny is a bit wonky - but it's trying to cope with a peaky turbo, so...

Despite the little niggling things (which any car will have), yeppers, absolutely (unless, of course, I can convince the wife to upgrade to the Range Rover Sport!).

My LR dealer has been great. And, even better, there is a new JLR dealership being built about 3 miles from my house - all the better for service, etc.!

·
Registered
32 Posts
for a weekend warrior CUV... You will be nothing but pleased! Ooh one additional feature add. This the Disco Sport does AMAZING in cold climates. The electronic headed windshield is fantastic (especially if you're like me and dislike AC due to drying up your skin/sinuses). Ice flakes right off the windshield with-in seconds after starting, heated steering wheel, seats all work beautifully. If you are a forced air fan, the fan is pretty quiet compared to my mercedes and VW. Definitely a nice touch.

·
Registered
588 Posts
for a weekend warrior CUV... You will be nothing but pleased! Ooh one additional feature add. This the Disco Sport does AMAZING in cold climates. The electronic headed windshield is fantastic (especially if you're like me and dislike AC due to drying up your skin/sinuses). Ice flakes right off the windshield with-in seconds after starting, heated steering wheel, seats all work beautifully. If you are a forced air fan, the fan is pretty quiet compared to my mercedes and VW. Definitely a nice touch.
^^^^:D

OP welcome to the forum and hope hear your input...

Yes! This is a very neat feature - I could never imagine getting another car without the Climate package option with the ventilated seats during the summer and heated seats in the winter as well as the heated windshield!

I was nervous about the Land Rover product for awhile after hearing horror stories and my personal experience with a used LR3.

Have to say, that the Discovery has come a LONG way in a good way.

After the recent updates it received, I am quite pleased with how the car now works correctly - each and every time I turn her on.

The dealer seems to be very receptive to customer concerns and has definitely changed it's tune from the past horror stories I heard/experienced.

Only thing that I really was waiting for in 2014 when JLR announced the Discovery was the diesel variant. Coming from 2 generations of diesel BMWs, I was really hoping for high torque, high MPG, quick turbo diesel engine - but since it was announced to not be available due to the VW dieselgate scandal - I ended up getting the petrol.

My next car might be the Jaguar F Pace with turbo diesel engine...>:D

Reactions: Jsquared

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am on the fence at times. i still really like it. But sometimes it's aggravating. It has a few rattles at times (but not the B-Pillar rattle, thank God). I sometimes ponder getting rid of it before the warranty expires, but I don't really like anything else (that I can afford, anyway) looks as cool. I like the way it drives and looks. I have an HSE Lux and enjoy all the toys. I am spoiled now and don't think I can ever go back to a car without auto high beams! ;-). I had an Audi Q5 before the DS. I had trouble with that as well (the sunroof rattled and they had to replace the driver's seat). It wasn't in the shop quite as much, though. All my issues have been taken care of along the way, though. It's just that sometimes while they have it in the shop it takes a while for parts (I had some rattle fixed cause a shock or something was rattling and it took two weeks for dealer to get part). At first, my BT music didn't work, and then I was really disturbed and almost got rid of it then, but then there was a software upgrade and all was well. Overall, though, I am pleased. I think you're going to like it even with the little problems (and as far as I can tell on the web almost all manufacturers have tons of problems when they issue a new model).

·
Registered
16 Posts
No. i've posted elsewhere. It's a nice, sporty ride with great offroad capability for what it is. However, build quality is not very good. I personally think the HSE climate seats are too hard, but YMMW. I am happy with my Grand Cherokee Altitude now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd say I'm 95% satisfied (minor issues I have documented elsewhere), but would I buy it again? 100% for sure! Despite the minor issues, nothing else in the entry-lux SUV space comes close to the DS in terms of looks, interior space, interior design, etc. Would buy it again in a heartbeat, but I would add some additional features such as surround view, audio upgrade, heated rear seats.

We've had 3,300 rattle and squeak free kilometres and we continue to be extremely happy with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you all,

I decided I'm going to give it a shot, our LRDS is had its inspection yesterday and we will be picking it up tomorrow morning. Incredibly excited to join the Rover family.

Thanks for honest opinions and look forward to the ride. This site is very helpful and look forward to posting more.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Love hate relationship for sure. I bought my car and couldnt drive it for the first 4 weeks. Still have a handful of issues on a brand new 2017 car. but i still continue to enjoy it for some off reason.

I also owned an LR4 that had issues so i knew what i was getting into.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts