Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking my 2016 discovery sport out camping with the family a lot recently. I find that I open and close the tail gate dozens of times a day getting gear, food etc and after a couple of days the battery started to give me alerts. Are there any tips or thoughts for disabling the power tailgate? I'm assuming the easiest thing is just to pull the fuse when I go on a trip and re-install when I'm back. But does this stress the motor to open manually? will the lock itself still work?
thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
G'day m0x,

I may have a solution, or at least partial solution to your issue. I have attached the relevant documentation from JLR to this message.

The documents contain instructions on how to remove the wiring harness for the "liftgate" and the trim pieces covering the wiring. I am suggesting you unplug the motor which operates the tailgate but leave the electric latch and other wiring alone.

From my experience with car restoration and rewiring things, after you have unplugged something you should put a blanking "plug" in its place. This is so the cars computer doesn't know that you've disconnected something.

You probably don't have to remove the headliner all the way, just push it to the side so you can access the wiring.

I have no qualifications in this area, however, I do understand how annoying that can be. Let me know if this works, I might do it to my Disco Sport.

All the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very interesting - thanks for this! I'm going to experiment with pulling the fuse first before I get into disassembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts