Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is there a fuse or connector to be pulled in order to deactivate this feature?

Tks

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
The feature is controlled by the computer,, I push the button as I reach down to put car in gear. If I forget I push de button first time engine stops, and this at least tells me my battery is charged enough.

And yes despite constant rumours, there is only one battery LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The feature is controlled by the computer,, I push the button as I reach down to put car in gear. If I forget I push de button first time engine stops, and this at least tells me my battery is charged enough.

Pushing the switch is what I don't want to be doing.

Does anyone here have the electrical system diagram for this system that can share or a more detailed circuit braker list than the owners manual?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least on 2019 discovery sport the plug for the voltage quality monitor is now unaccesible under the dashboard.
From what I found some previous years had that connector behind the right cover of the baggage compartment and disconnecting that plug there made the miracle happen without affecting any other features.

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
The following conditions inhibit an auto stop:
  • The external temperature is less than approximately -2°C.
  • The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C.
  • The engine or other vehicle systems have not reached the optimum operating temperatures.
  • The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
  • Demand from the climate control system requires the engine to be running, e.g., when in defrost mode.
  • The vehicle's battery charge is low.
  • The auto stop/start system is deactivated.
  • After reversing, the vehicle's speed has not exceeded 16 km/h (10 mph).
  • A gearshift paddle has been used to select a gear

I have also noticed on my car if I have been driving at a high speed for a distance the start/ stop when I first stop. So the computer picks up even more information in determining what to do.

Most complaints are because the system does not function all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I didn't realize that there is only one battery. Since my auto-start/stop feature is not working for a year or two, I was sure that it uses an auxiliary battery and mine have died =)

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
Hi Sergk

There was a software update to stop battery drain? Put a high quality AGM battery charger on the car to make sure your battery is fully charged. I have a CTEK wired to mine. Start stop not working is usually a sign of low battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Is there a fuse or connector to be pulled in order to deactivate this feature?

Tks
Hi Bill, Before I took delivery of my MY18 DS, I found a thread on this site that maintained that by disconnecting a plug under the battery cover on the left (from the front) this would disable this irritating function. So I did it on day one and all has been blissful.
Two years later I have been getting an intermittent 'amber engine' light on the dash panel and when I took the vehicle in for a check, among other things they discovered the disconnected plug, and then blamed my warning light on my fiddling with the wiring. They maintain that when disconnected the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve does not work properly, and hence the warning light.
I find this hard to believe since many of us drive with the system disabled through the Auto Stop/start switch, and no warning light.
Anyway after 'fixing' the problem, I still get the light, so now I am going to disconnect again.
I suspect the warning is from the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which is not flushing properly, but the dealer is at a loss.
So, disconnect the plug, but be mindful of warranty and any other issue.

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
Different is one way you are disconnecting a sensor that the computer uses to control the EGR on the Diesel engine and the other way you are giving the computer a command to not use the start/stop but keep all emission controls functioning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I didn't realize that there is only one battery. Since my auto-start/stop feature is not working for a year or two, I was sure that it uses an auxiliary battery and mine have died =)
Land Rover uses a voltage regulator (voltage quality monitor, located behind glovebox in my 2017MY) instead of an auxiliary battery to ensure a stable voltage when the car restarts. This mainly prevents the radio from cutting out when the car restarts. The easiest way to defeat the system is to disconnect the positive supply to the BMS on the negative battery terminal, but this will bring a MIL light on and is probably not legal in many countries due to emission regulations. It’s easier to press the button if you want to turn it off.

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
The BMS controls battery charging and conditioning, without it the battery can overcharge

·
Registered
57 Posts
The BMS controls battery charging and conditioning, without it the battery can overcharge
The battery reverts to a basic charging procedure, it won’t overcharge, but may shorten battery life, but this was not meant to be a serious suggestion as it obviously causes a fault condition...just press the button.

·
Registered
2019 Discovery Sport HSE
4 Posts
It's not so imposing to just push.the.button. This is my 4th car with these things. I don't even think about it now. It's like hitting the start button; sort of automatic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven’t got an issue with it to be honest as long as it works correctly....the Volvo V90 I owned previously used to cut the engine out before the car stopped which was very annoying especially in traffic...only kept it 3 months...pile of junk. My DS works ok most of the time now so I’m happy with that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts