Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
What is the cost for the 1st service of DS 2016.
I have checked with couple of dealerships in the area and they want $600 + for 1st service which I feel think is very very high.
It includes, oil change,pollen filter change and regular fluid top off and multi point inspection....
Please suggest

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes the dealer will charge that much.

I took mine to an independent mechanic that did the same exact work with tire rotations for $110.
They charge the same rate no matter what car you have - Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc....

They even reset the service indicator so my InControl App no longer reminded me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool, thanks for the response @4sallypat
I checked with another dealership little farther, they gave a quote of $330 , do you think that it is worth that much money, with I owning the vehicle not leasing

·
Registered
73 Posts
10 K checkup, Same thing simple oil change came to 210.00. The rest LR picked up. Don't know what the final cost would have been but the oil change OUCH!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
For my first "service" I told my dealer that I only want an OIL CHANGE...forget the rest of the "service". It cost $150.00. I had a LR 10% coupon that came in the mail for the second "service" in which I told them to only change the oil. So it cost me $135.00. Which I think is not terrible for 10K intervals. You can get air filter and cabin filter from your local auto zone and change them yourself. My dealer does the inspection and fluid top offs for free. Discount Tires does rotations for free.
Id still rather have the dealership do all the essential fluid services. I want everything in the Land Rover database. With these cars I wouldnt risk it. FWIW, they do inspect your air filters on the multipoint so even if you change them yourself, they will report that they are good. As long as the dealership is trustworthy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am planning to give to a dealership little far away and they would charge around $330 for 1st service which LR recommends. He offered 10% discount on that
These guys also had a service special for just oil change for $75, but the rep said that will not include the service indicator reset (So strange)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks, I am planning to give to a dealership little far away and they would charge around $330 for 1st service which LR recommends. He offered 10% discount on that
These guys also had a service special for just oil change for $75, but the rep said that will not include the service indicator reset (So strange)
Very strange indeed - when the connect your car to their computer, the service indicator reset is done at the same time with a few keystrokes.

My mechanic has the same equipment as the dealers to when it comes in for an oil change, the service indicator is reset when they connect to the car......

I love mine as they specialize in foreign cars (mainly European) and their work equals the same a dealer but without a hefty price.
Sure might we worth your time to check out an independent mechanic....

·
Registered
139 Posts
600 seems really high. I think I paid around 350 for mine. Full service oil change plus all the other junk. High price, but imo it's a luxury car, I like my dealership and am willing to pay the premium

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know this isn't really helpful, but here in Toronto my dealer will cover the cost of the first service. I suppose this isn't offered in the US, which is strange. Usually you guys get all the good offers and we're left forking out the cash!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very strange indeed - when the connect your car to their computer, the service indicator reset is done at the same time with a few keystrokes.

My mechanic has the same equipment as the dealers to when it comes in for an oil change, the service indicator is reset when they connect to the car......

I love mine as they specialize in foreign cars (mainly European) and their work equals the same a dealer but without a hefty price.
Sure might we worth your time to check out an independent mechanic....
Thanks, Can you give me your mechanic's info.
I am also in Socal

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this isn't really helpful, but here in Toronto my dealer will cover the cost of the first service. I suppose this isn't offered in the US, which is strange. Usually you guys get all the good offers and we're left forking out the cash!
You're right, 1st service offered by Land Rover Canada.
Given that 16000 km (10000 mi) is about what I do in a year, services for the 2nd year and so on are about what 2 services a year cost me for my other cars.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks, Can you give me your mechanic's info.
I am also in Socal
Here is my mechanic who has worked on my: Land Rover, BMW, Merc, and Hondas:

Silver Star MotorCars - WiHa
20201 Valley Blvd
Walnut, CA 91789

Phone: (909) 612-7398

Take a look on Yelp.com & Google+ and notice how many people including myself say this independent has the most honest, ethical and lowest cost for working on European cars...

And I just got notified to take her in for my second service work:

So guess where I am taking her into ???

Just note that this place caters to a lot of Asians.
It gets packed all week long so make an appointment which will get you in quicker than waiting....
The owners do speak English but has an accent if you are not used to it.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fellow Toronto Owner

I'm in Toronto as well. If you don't mind me asking, where is your dealer? We bought ours from Land Rover Thornhill. It's near Yonge and Steeler. The other dealers that would be close to us would be in Ajax and Downtown. Thornhill said we would get a complimentary first service.

Reactions: Jsquared

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, just got my 10,000 mile service done and it cost $450 out the door with taxes. They did about 7 Service bulletins including the powertrain SB. What a difference in shifting performance. I had gotten used to how to manage the gas pedal so it didn't get caught in the shift selection dilemma but now it shifts smoothly. I'm glad this was done as it is nice to see how much better the driving experience has become. I plan on going to dealer for my services until the warranty is up and then I'll check out some less expensive options.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in Toronto as well. If you don't mind me asking, where is your dealer? We bought ours from Land Rover Thornhill. It's near Yonge and Steeler. The other dealers that would be close to us would be in Ajax and Downtown. Thornhill said we would get a complimentary first service.
Our dealer was the same as yours - Thornhill. They promised us complimentary first service. It works for us because we don't live too far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is my mechanic who has worked on my: Land Rover, BMW, Merc, and Hondas:

Silver Star MotorCars - WiHa
20201 Valley Blvd
Walnut, CA 91789

Phone: (909) 612-7398

Take a look on Yelp.com & Google+ and notice how many people including myself say this independent has the most honest, ethical and lowest cost for working on European cars...

And I just got notified to take her in for my second service work:

So guess where I am taking her into ???

Just note that this place caters to a lot of Asians.
It gets packed all week long so make an appointment which will get you in quicker than waiting....
The owners do speak English but has an accent if you are not used to it.....
Great, thanks for the info.... will keep in mind of this shop for future.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Great, thanks for the info.... will keep in mind of this shop for future.
Welcome.

I just came out of SilverStar for my second service.

New pricing @ $139 for all European cars.
They even took the pollen microfilters and air filters out to see if they are dirty - and nope - not yet. They even told me the brakes are at 80% or 8mm which means lots of miles! Super honest mechanic they are.

And still a bargain compared to the stealer!

BTW: I asked the owner/head mechanic why the dealer can charge so much as he was the senior tech at MBZ and he said the reason the dealers can charge so much for the service is the service advisor and mechanic are both comped in a percentage of each sale. So it is common practice to replace out the air filters, brake pads, rotors, etc even though the car does not need it - just for the compensation the dealers stand to make off you. :eek:

SilverStar says they do not cheat their customers and tell you that you need brake pads even though they may be at 30% like the dealers do and tell you they need to be replaced - all at the cost of you and money for them.
SilverStar says when their mechanic says the brake pads are at 10%, the head mechanic confirms and shows the customer with a micrometer before they charge the customer!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just got a quote from the San Jose, CA JLR dealer/Service Dept. on Stevens Creek Rd. They are charging $970 for the 10k service... Includes all the same quoted above e.g. oil change, pollen filter, tire rotation, etc.).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just got a quote from the San Jose, CA JLR dealer/Service Dept. on Stevens Creek Rd. They are charging $970 for the 10k service... Includes all the same quoted above e.g. oil change, pollen filter, tire rotation, etc.).
Say what - $970 ????:eek:

Might be worth the cost to drive down to So Cal for my mechanic's service for $139....;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Say what - $970 ????:eek:

Might be worth the cost to drive down to So Cal for my mechanic's service for $139....;)
Thanks for the suggestion, Sallypat. Had my tires rotated at the local tire shop for $40 and plan to go to Jiffy Lube for a $40 oil change. I do not see much value in the rest of the included services they are hocking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts