Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fellow Torontonian here! We got our DS last fall and put snow tires on it in December. Wife uses the car to go to work every day, plus we do the odd trip to Ottawa, so snow tires were a no-brainer. The DS will get you going with any kind of tire under almost any condition. The problem is when you need to stop... That's when a snow tire is ALWAYS superior to a summer or all season. That is by far the most important reason to get a winter tire, unless you can just leave your car parked when the conditions get bad (but what's the point of owning a Land Rover then...?).

I got new rims and tires from Simply Tire, and they look and grip fantastic. The tires are Continental WinterContact SI on 18" Fast Wheels rims. Because of the offset, the tires stick out a bit more than the standard setup and with the rugged grooves in the tires, the whole setup looks aggressive - love it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Doesn't Canada require winter snow tires during the winter months like Germany mandates??
Only in the province of Quebec are winter tires mandatory. In the rest of Canada they are optional. Insurance companies in Ontario generally offer a 5% discount if you use winter tires.

I think making winter tires mandatory can only help. Drivers aren't getting any better, so sometimes things have to be forced to just make the roads safer for everyone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In British Columbia the R.C.M.P. will not allow vehicles on mountain roads and passes when there is snow, unless equipped with winter tread or chains .
That is true I suppose. I think I've seen that on "Highway thru ****"! :)

Edit: Interesting - that four-letter word gets blocked. It rhymes with well, sell or bell...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts