Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
See my link in the Wheels and Tire forum:
Blizzak 18" tires for winter

The all season Continentals are good for most summertime driving but I decided to get a winter set as I usually travel to the Sierra Nevada mountains for skiing or winter fishing.

I love the tread compound on the winter Blizzaks - they grip like crazy even on dry pavement.

Taking her around corners - they feel like road magnets.

Best of all, I get to travel thru mandated chain control road stops on the way up to mountains - as I tell the state police officer I have 4 wheel drive and 4 snow tires. I get waved thru along with other cars that have AWD and 4WD.

But then the real test begins when I noticed cars that do not have chains will still slip and slide because they either have the wrong tire (A/S or summers) and/or their traction control systems are slow to react because the wheels do not run full time 4WD. This is something I hated in AWD cars - the wheels only become active when the on board computer detects slip - something I have always hated - leaving the controls to a computer.

Land Rover is full time 4WD and it shows - grips as soon as you apply acceleration. In snow mode, the Discovery grips even more by changing the throttle and shift point to avoid slipping. Land Rover is the best for traction control if you match it with the right snow tires...

Loving my Bridgestone Blizzaks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Doesn't Canada require winter snow tires during the winter months like Germany mandates??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts