Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
The continental tires are not the greatest for winter driving. I've driven them in heavy snow, snow pack and sheer ice a few times, they do ok, as can be expected, but if you encounter long periods of severe winter weather, a lot of folks go with Bridgestone blizzak tires.

·
Registered
606 Posts
No problem. I think the Cherokee TH came with Firestone Destination AT tires. They are a more aggressive all terrain/all season tire. Blizzak tires are winter/snow only and you'd need to put the Continental tires back on after winter is over. If you're ok with that then that might be your solution.
Here's a question...So, if you were happy with how the Firestones performed, why not give them a try on the Disco? They won't have the same sporty look as the continental tires though.
Please keep in mind, in my somewhat limited severe winter weather driving the continentals were not terrrible.

May some others will chime in.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have the Continentals and they handle well for the little weather we have had in NJ. I also took them through the sand on the beach with no issues.

I did just catch a nail tonight and had to throw on the donut. Any idea how many miles we should get from the Continental tires?
Keep em rotated. The fronts wear fast. We've got 25K on our Disco. We've rotated at both oil changes. The tires are showing a lot of wear. I suspect I'll change them within the next 5k-10K miles. I dont think I'll want to rotate them again as the ones on the rear now are getting pretty worn. I dont think I want them back up front.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Fellow Torontonian here! We got our DS last fall and put snow tires on it in December. Wife uses the car to go to work every day, plus we do the odd trip to Ottawa, so snow tires were a no-brainer. The DS will get you going with any kind of tire under almost any condition. The problem is when you need to stop... That's when a snow tire is ALWAYS superior to a summer or all season. That is by far the most important reason to get a winter tire, unless you can just leave your car parked when the conditions get bad (but what's the point of owning a Land Rover then...?).

I got new rims and tires from Simply Tire, and they look and grip fantastic. The tires are Continental WinterContact SI on 18" Fast Wheels rims. Because of the offset, the tires stick out a bit more than the standard setup and with the rugged grooves in the tires, the whole setup looks aggressive - love it!
Pictures :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts