Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this how everyone's factory hitch was installed?

Notice the hack job? Is that really how LR decided the hitch was to be installed on the discovery sport?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I cant even have a hitch on mine with the dynamic design pack unless I hack out my entire back bumper. I dont think Hitches were really taken into consideration when they designed these things. Certainly not like the LR4 where the hitch is built in and you need the adaptor which is redic cause its 500 bucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't get the hitch unless you really need it

Notice the hack job? Is that really how LR decided the hitch was to be installed on the discovery sport?
I will have to upload some pics. We just picked up our Disco last Saturday. We wanted a Hitch and was told it doesn't come factory installed that it has to be installed by the dealer. Ok. Fine. It cost over 2K. Wasn't worried. My jeep that got totalled had a hitch and it was seamless. Really well done. Mind you it was factory installed at $500.

Anywhoo, we pick up the car and it looks like crap. My four year old could've done a better job. It is UGLY!!!! If I knew that it would look so bad I would've saved myself the money. But we really need it so my hubby is gonna move the electrical this weekend.

·
Registered
590 Posts

lol ours came with that section hacked out as new. But the replacement piece they installed after the Disco got rear ended does not have the hole cut out. Looks much better. We are going to get the other LR hitch which looks much nicer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im goin to find some U channel rubber weather stripping (similar to what they use on the doors) and see if i can tidy it up a bit.

btw

We towed a 3200lbs boat w/ full gas tank + trailer so ... 4000-4200lbs with zero issue. I mean besides not having adjustable air suspension this thing towed very well. Of course we dont trialer far, but we did drive down a 50mph hwy and put air in the trailer tires then launch the boat again.

Dont mind the scum line it was washed off shortly after that picture.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agarabaghi,

would you mind taking some photos of the way your LRDS look from behind with trailer hitch? Im curious as to how the car looks with it. Is the hack job noticeable if you are just standing behind the car and from afar? or is is just when you look under the bumper up close? I really want to go forward with getting a hitch but I don't want some clunky bar right under the bumper that looks odd. I like the way it looks from behind and don't want to screw that up too back.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its only noticable if you look under the car or if the car is park on a hill in front of you.

Im going to try and find some U rubber trim and see if i can tidy up the hack job, looks fixable.

I think it still looks 100x better than the uhaul and curtis hitch which u see the part permantly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we tested the Disco sport way past its weight limit....

Basically its about 100yards from the ramp to trailer storage and we had to pull the big boat out. Besides squatting a bit more (nothin more than a typical car with no air suspensions would squad though) she actually pulled the malibu mxz 22 and tandem trailer around just fine.

I would not recommend any kind of significan driving, but just to park the trailer all went well. We will be launching the boat tomorrow and i suspect no issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wished it wasnt a hack job to install the trailer hitch.

Still need to find something to clean up the look when u get under the car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, many of us got the vehicle with the hidey-hole, a-hole, hack-job, as standard on delivery. My dealer suggested putting chicken wire over the hole to keep feral cats and rodents out (and away from chewing the exposed wires in there. Water crossings should be interesting, check for fish.

Other than that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol!

im thinking some plastic trimmed down and possibly some weather stripping around the lips....

hey if a fish gets in there youll have dinner at the camp site ready!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When we looked at LR Discovery the sales rep said the hitch would be $600 installed. Then we found that it is actually $1,600. I'm going to fabricate something worthwhile for a few bucks less......stay tuned. I have seen pics of the aftermarket hitches installed and it looks terrible.

Just need something for a bike rack. If I need to tow, I have a truck for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UHaul hitch

I had a uhaul hitch installed in 2016. Now I have an insurance claim against uhaul because every single bolt ripped out and I nearly lost my bumper, the hitch, and my boat. Fortunately, I noticed the hitch receiver coming loose, and had it inspected before everything came apart. I have a 2500lb boat, and bike racks, and now I can't use my DS for what I bought it for. The factory installed hitch, perhaps? Still worried about that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had a uhaul hitch installed in 2016. Now I have an insurance claim against uhaul because every single bolt ripped out and I nearly lost my bumper, the hitch, and my boat. Fortunately, I noticed the hitch receiver coming loose, and had it inspected before everything came apart. I have a 2500lb boat, and bike racks, and now I can't use my DS for what I bought it for. The factory installed hitch, perhaps? Still worried about that.
That sucks!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts