Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping around for a hitch and noticed most of the guys on this forum have gone with either factory or Curt hitch (designed specifically for DS). Anyone have experience w/ custom weld job? I'm looking at this local shop that told me they can do a custom weld hitch for $250-$390 depending on needs. They've done some nice custom work on Porsche Cayennes and the guy told me they have experience working on LRs.

Anyone use these guys before? Home - precisionhitchandwelding

Also, wondering if there are advantages/disadvantages to welding vs bolt on. They guy at this shop told me bolt ons need to be checked every now and then (i.e. bolts retightened). But i've also heard that welded hitches can adversely affect body frame in the long run. Any advice? Thx.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a custom hitch done here in Manila. I use it for my bike rack and towing a jet ski . Other than that Im not sure I will tow a boat not only because of the hitch but i dont want to have problems with the tranny of the DS. Note: this picture eas the first version the 2nd one (which imhaving a hard time uploading) is shorter and doesnt protrude like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry didnt seem to answer your question. My hitch is bolted on to the chasis of the DS. I think this is how its really done if you buy the original one. Or do you mean a hitch thats assembled using bolts? If so I would prefer the welded ones because you dont need to check it anymore if any of the bolts gets loose. i dont think the welded hitch would have any problems with tweaking the chasis

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice rolandh. I think I'll give the custom hitch a shot. Been debating it for a while and this shop I'm looking at has excellent reviews on Yelp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts