Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my quandary. I have just got my new car which is a 3 yr old Disco Sport and I love it! I wish I could say th same about the garage we bought it from .They were all over us when we bought it a few weeks ago but now every request for help is just brushed off and I am made to feel like an idiot.. I have read the manual extensively but still cannot find what I am looking for so am reaching out in Thai forum in the hope someone with experience can help.

The first problem is that the auto stop/start stoppec working a few days after we got the car. I was told it was my fault because I don’t drive very far so that battery was not charged enoug, this sounded quite logical so left it until last weekend when we did a round trip of over 400 miles. When we got home and it still wasn’t working I called the garage again and the sales,an rather patronisingly told me “well, what do you expect, it was only one trip”! I might be blonde but I am not stupid and I am sure a trip of that length, in good weather and daylight should be enough to fully charge a battery.

2nd problem, all of a sudden the interior lights and the footwell lights do not come on when the door is opened. I have searched everywhere to see if I have inadvertently touched a button or changed a setting but can find nothing and no reference in the manual either. So, I don’t know, is it me or is this another fault, it is driving me nuts!

if anyone who has taken the time to read this can offer any suggestions I would be really pleased to hear from you

Many thanks

E.P.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would say that your battery is faulty. It makes no sense that after 400km the battery is still low for the auto stop/start to work.

My disco is just over a year so I haven’t had that issue. But my old Honda would tell me the reason why the auto stop/start wouldnt work. Is the Disco showing you any message like that?

Is there any law in your country forcing the seller to honor any guarantee period on your car? If so, force them to fix it.

Regarding the lights, there might be a switch somewhere around the door frame that has got stock or it can be a feature of the car trying to save battery.
Maybe somebody else knows more and is able to help you with that.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

thank you for trying, what you say sounds logical, I am not sure the light problem would be battery related as the lights do work if you put them on manually just not when the door is opened. Yes there is a warranty with the car but getting it enforced is another matter..........it is with the RAC which means I believer, despite the fact we have only had the car fora matter of days ,we have to pay for any work ourselves and then try to claim it back. ;o(

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Discovery Sport Forums - Forum for all Discovery Sport Owners is the best place for more info as you most likely have a Diesel and look to be from the Mother Country.
Re the stop/start there is a software fix for the problem as the battery will drain itself when going short distances all the time. Once I had the fix I have had no problems with the start/stop even though it can be a nuisance.
After getting advise from the UK owners site I purchased a CTEK charger from a parts supply here in Canada buying the model MKS 5.0 you can go to CTEK® Chargers - Award Winning Battery Chargers & Conditioners | UK Shop
I place the battery on an overnight charge once a month in the winter. I have the leads hardwired to my battery so takes less than a minute to connect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New battery fixed the stop/start on my Disco. Bought it used and apparently the battery was too weak for that feature to operate. Now that it works I do not like this feature. Thankfully there is a button on the dash to disable it. I do not have any suggestions for the interior lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say that your battery is faulty. It makes no sense that after 400km the battery is still low for the auto stop/start to work.

My disco is just over a year so I haven’t had that issue. But my old Honda would tell me the reason why the auto stop/start wouldnt work. Is the Disco showing you any message like that?
We bought our Disco Sport in 2016 new. The Start/Stop has always worked in a totally arbitrary way.
We have had the battery checked, tried with/without heating and A/C, turned off all extra features, done short trips and long trips, tried hot weather and cold weather and tried various styles of braking to a halt. There is still no way to predict as to whether the start/stop will engage or not.
Our LR garage says it is probably a culmination of numerous factors. So we have given up....guessing about how it will work makes driving more interesting and it makes a change to playing "I spy with my little eye"!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So here is my quandary. I have just got my new car which is a 3 yr old Disco Sport and I love it! I wish I could say th same about the garage we bought it from .They were all over us when we bought it a few weeks ago but now every request for help is just brushed off and I am made to feel like an idiot.. I have read the manual extensively but still cannot find what I am looking for so am reaching out in Thai forum in the hope someone with experience can help.

The first problem is that the auto stop/start stoppec working a few days after we got the car. I was told it was my fault because I don’t drive very far so that battery was not charged enoug, this sounded quite logical so left it until last weekend when we did a round trip of over 400 miles. When we got home and it still wasn’t working I called the garage again and the sales,an rather patronisingly told me “well, what do you expect, it was only one trip”! I might be blonde but I am not stupid and I am sure a trip of that length, in good weather and daylight should be enough to fully charge a battery.

2nd problem, all of a sudden the interior lights and the footwell lights do not come on when the door is opened. I have searched everywhere to see if I have inadvertently touched a button or changed a setting but can find nothing and no reference in the manual either. So, I don’t know, is it me or is this another fault, it is driving me nuts!

if anyone who has taken the time to read this can offer any suggestions I would be really pleased to hear from you

Many thanks

E.P.
Dear E.P.

I also bought my disco with only 4 thousand kilometers but soon it started to display on the console the warning of "Low Battery. Start the engine". It was showing this message more than a year till finally one day it did not start up. Then I changed the battery and now it is fine.

I guess your 2016 Disco´s battery is faulty due to the age even though it was not used, inside there is a chemical reaction that with time the matters degenerate.

I also remember to have heard that the car has an Energy Management System that when the power is not enough it starts switching off the electrical circuits that are not critical for the car in order to save energy but this is just an idea, it may have nothing to do with your problem of the lights.

Regards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear E.P.

I also bought my disco with only 4 thousand kilometers but soon it started to display on the console the warning of "Low Battery. Start the engine". It was showing this message more than a year till finally one day it did not start up. Then I changed the battery and now it is fine.

I guess your 2016 Disco´s battery is faulty due to the age even though it was not used, inside there is a chemical reaction that with time the matters degenerate.

I also remember to have heard that the car has an Energy Management System that when the power is not enough it starts switching off the electrical circuits that are not critical for the car in order to save energy but this is just an idea, it may have nothing to do with your problem of the lights.

Regards.
By the way, I do not liket the Start/Stop systems in the cars, it is quite uncomfortable. The continuous sound of starting up and the slight shack produced by the engine is very annoying to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same issue. There is actually a software bug that makes a battery show as low when it's not. After updating the software (late-2019) mine went from never activating to working perfectly, no change of battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts

E.P.
Sorry to hear about your interactions with the dealership. I know that is frustrating. It seems like whenever they do not have an answer, or they think it will not benefit them to solve the issue, they pull the ol' "yea, it is supposed to be like that" or, "you did this wrong, which is why that happened...."

Anyway,
I didnt see a response/solution to your 2nd question- "interior lights and the footwell lights do not come on when the door is opened."

We had this happen too, and I finally got our situation resolved. Hopefully, the same procedure can help you. I added a picture in case I am not clear in my instructions.

SOLUTION (I hope):
- Get in car, close all doors, and turn the accessories on (push-start button, w/o pushing break pedal).

- Then, push & hold the center dome light button (above rearview mirror) for approx 10 sec. (until lights flash).

- After lights flash, the dash display should have a notification that pops up- something like "auto interior lights- on" or something similiar. Once ".... ON" message pops up, lights should work when doors open. That should solve issue.

- If it says ".... OFF," - just do same procedure again, until your desired setup is displayed.

- After set, wait for all lights to turn back off. Then, open a door to see if it works.

Good luck, I hope this solves your problem.

Please let us know if it did. Thanks.

Wiley

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts