Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have a 2019 Discovery Sport which i bought 12 months ago.
It has been into the land rover garage about 5 times this year as a result of the coolant water warning light coming on and the coolant levels being low. they have replaced hoses, changed sensors but the problem still occurs. I drive for about 1000 miles and the problem occurs. i am sure i smell something strange when i stop driving like a burning type smell (not sure what that is) I live in the UK so temperatures aren't warm.

the car also had previous problems with leaking gearbox oil and it has been in at least 3 times with that and they have replaced seals etc. i am not a car person but i did wonder if the gearbox is heating up because it has lost a lot of its oil (and they haven't filled it up because i understand there is no level gauge for it) and the heat from the gearbox is causing the coolant water to heat to a point that it is venting off over a period of time. i noted from another thread that the expansion tank vents to air.

does anyone out there have any thoughts? i feel the car dealership are just trying to ignore the problem as i only have 6 months extended warranty left on the car and after that it will be my problem.

earlier this month it went in because the level went low again and they said they couldn't find the leak or problem so topped it up and gave me it back.

would really like to be able to go to them with the possible things for them to look at (although i know that is meant to be their job!)

thanks

· Registered
99 Posts
It would be fairly normal to need to top off the coolant about once a year. Like you said, there is a little evaporation that happens normally. 5 times in a year does seem like it's too often though. You probably have coolant going somewhere. It sounds like maybe they found some evidence of a small leak on the outside of the engine and replaced some parts. It would be reasonable to think that probably fixed it. If it hasn't, ask them to keep looking. You can also have coolant leaking inside the engine. If coolant is getting into your oil that will turn it a milky brown color. That's really easy to check. Another possibility that's a little harder to check for is a leaking head gasket that's letting coolant into the combustion chamber. There are plenty of different tests to see if that's happening too. I'm not a lawyer but I believe if you take the car in and identify the problem to them before the warranty runs out, you would have a pretty good case to get them to cover the cost of the fix even if they don't figure out the fix before the warranty runs out.

· Registered
70 Posts
I had some extensive discussion on this matter before, and it looks like you read my post. Yes, you are right. If you have some abnormal overheating, your coolant temperature will go too high, then the coolant will be boiling and be evaporated to the cap vent. It is done by its design.

Therefore, if you can't find any leak of coolant, you need to fix overheating problem first. Not 100% sure whether it is gearbox related issue. It might be something else. The leakage of transmission oil could be the result of overheating rather than the reason of that. Anyway, I would suggest you to fill up the transmission oil first. Just report that you get some smell and have some problem in gear shifting. You need to pinpoint the symptoms to dealerships. They are too busy or too lazy to find a root cause by running several tests. Just make 1 or 2 assumptions and let them work on those.

Plus, once you fill up the transmission oil, please make sure to top off the coolant too. I think if one of the two is low, you would see the same problem.

· Registered
52 Posts
Our 2017 was low on coolant once, and the radiator was found to be leaking in 2022. We replaced the radiator and have never had low coolant again. We have a burning coolant smell occasionally in our garage before and after.
I concur that issues identified prior to the end of coverage would likely still be covered if it’s not just continuing maintenance.
Also, I’ve heard of dealers selling an extended warranty and pocketing the cash instead of registering the warranty. Typically, this is only discovered after a major component failure that the dealer refuses to cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts