Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've had my 2016 Disco Sport for almost 2 years now in Canada. In very cold winter days (typically if it is below -10C), my disco will make this weird "knocking" noise from the front, sounding almost like a helicopter. The noise goes away after a few minutes of driving. This does not happen very frequently, maybe 4-5 times in a year.

I brought the issue to my dealer twice. However, I was not able to reproduce the problem in front of the technicians. Showed them the videos I took when driving, but they could not find any faults.

Below are the 2 videos that I took, and surely the noise is quite unpleasant... Does anyone have similar problems? Any input will be much appreciated!

- Note: Just found out that I am not authorized yet to post links. I have included them in a text file in the attachment. My apologies for the inconvenience!

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
...that's sound really weird.
Based on what you said above - My first guess would be to open the hood and try to listen for it right after you start the car.....assuming the sound is there while in Park....not just while driving....may need to have another person step on the gas.
I suspect something is constricting / shrinking due to extreme cold and is causing this noise until the car warms up a bit....
Would first try to pinpoint the general area that this noise is coming from....since it changes as you accelerate - if you determine the sound is NOT from the engine bay (belts, fan) - look at wheels...something like bearings etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...that's sound really weird.
Based on what you said above - My first guess would be to open the hood and try to listen for it right after you start the car.....assuming the sound is there while in Park....not just while driving....may need to have another person step on the gas.
I suspect something is constricting / shrinking due to extreme cold and is causing this noise until the car warms up a bit....
Would first try to pinpoint the general area that this noise is coming from....since it changes as you accelerate - if you determine the sound is NOT from the engine bay (belts, fan) - look at wheels...something like bearings etc...
Thanks for your quick reply Paul!

Sorry I was not clear in my post - the noise only kicks in when I start driving, so I could not figure out a way to find exactly where it came from. It does sound like from the front though, not sure if indeed the engine bay...

·
Registered
326 Posts
At first it sounded like a flat spot on the tire (sitting in cold weather) but the sound did change. I would check tire pressures and wheel lugs as a first step.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts