Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have a Discovery Sport 2015. Heater fan has stopped working. It's under Land Rover approved warranty. LR are saying not covered under warranty as it's failed due to water ingress from battery cover and scuttle panel. Quoting £1,000+ to sort. Is it reasonable that it's not covered under warranty? and what do you think about cost to repair?

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
562 Posts
You would assume that if the problem is because water ingress it would be covered. I would go to an other dealer to see about warranty and if they do not help go to an independent shop.

The cost seems very high

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I have a Discovery Sport 2015. Heater fan has stopped working. It's under Land Rover approved warranty. LR are saying not covered under warranty as it's failed due to water ingress from battery cover and scuttle panel. Quoting £1,000+ to sort. Is it reasonable that it's not covered under warranty? and what do you think about cost to repair?
Hi Arnie
Do you have an update on where you got to with the fan issue? My fan stopped in 2019 and was fixed by the dealership. It has stopped again and since it is under an extended warranty til next month I took it back to be looked at. Just heard that the problem is caused by water ingress and so not covered by the warranty - how has water got in - surely that must be some kind of design fault? Am waiting to hear if dealership will cover the costs since this is apparently a “known fault“. So just wondered what had happened in the end for you?
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
So just wanted to update my experience in this fan issue. This is the second used car I have bought from the local dealership and all servicing etc has been done through them on both cars. My car is 4 years old at the end of March.

As I mentioned the warranty refused to cover the fan repair.

The dealership has offered to pay for 80% of the fix cost for the fan - which has me paying less than £100. The fix will be guaranteed for 2 years.

The fix they did under warranty in 2019 did not get a warranty or guarantee because I didn’t pay for it. No warranty on warranty is the reasoning. All new to me.

I also need to buy a new battery. The battery indicator had been showing low irrespective of the journey length before its December service but charged up fine when they tested it so they said it was fine. Unfortunately the indicator light came back on almost immediately once I had the car home. I left it until I had the fan issue as during lock down there is not much call for the car.

Now they have run a new diagnostic it seems I need a new battery. Batteries are not covered by warranty. This new land rover battery will have a 2 year warranty. The dealership tell me 3 to 5 years is normal for a battery. A local garage would sell me a Bosch battery with a 5 year guarantee. The dealership has matched their price. But still only gives a 2 year guarantee. I am sticking with them on the assumption/hope that my loyalty in keeping all repairs with them will be returned next time I have an issue.

I am now pondering whether it is worth it to take out the extended warranty for another year. I am concerned it excludes as yet unknown to me inherent faults given my experience on the fan. The sense I get is take out the warranty and keep the servicing etc with the dealership and hope that between the warranty and the dealership things will be dealt with fairly. Requires faith in the dealership...

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
562 Posts
Great news about the fan, even tho you have to pay what looks to be the labour.

In North America the battery is warrantied for 4 years as is the car itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts