Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's a weird one. A few weeks ago one of the people I work with notice something hanging below the car. Turned out to be a heat shield around the exhaust that seemed to be hanging from one bolt. Plus the same shield on the other side was hanging low. Hmmm.

So, a couple of days later, get the car into the service dept. (by then the one hanging down was gone - must have blown off, whatever). So, after a bit of trial with the service department (I won't go into that story!), I get the remaining side re-tightened and the missing side ordered.

Went in two weeks later to have it replaced. Good service only took an hour (turns out, according the service guy - there are 45 separate heat shield pieces!). Then, they want to charge me $125 to replace it!!! What the heck???:mad: Car has less than 8,000 miles on the clock, I've only had it 9 months!! They say, since there was part of the heat shield remaining, it must have been something I did - or debris from the road - that caused the damage:eek: Really?? :confused: I haven't been off-roading it (even then what the heck), didn't run over any debris on the road. Plus, how does that explain the other side being loose?

At any rate, I went just a little nutso (just a little). Good news, it didn't take much on my end for them to back off on payment...but, still. I asked what I should have done to prevent this charge in the future... "Next time, call and let us know first so we are aware of it". Really, I have to call and let you know sh_t is falling off a brand new vehicle??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
588 Posts
That is weird sounds like a quality control issue at the factory line ?

It's not unheard of - I remember I had a shield / cover come off while driving my R350 Merc - heard the noise and saw the part fly up behind. Called the service dept, made the appointment and ended up at no cost.

Yes, next time it helps to call ahead and state that it's a warranty repair - then they put that into the system and they won't charge you unless you are proven you did the damage.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Report anything out of the ordinary. I do. Gets it in the system and covers your butt.
As for the heat shield, Seems like I've heard of this happening on at least one other Disco.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts