Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I have to bite the bullet and have scheduled my first service appointment (8/31) at 3400 miles, 4 months old.
My list...
1) Sluggish Acceleration then lurch problem (http://www.discoverysport.net/forum/discovery-sport-issues-problems/10722-crappy-sluggish-shifting-returns-vengeance.html)
2) Radio stopped working this morning (no sound at all on any mode)
3) Shifter won't shift into R or D sometimes, intermittent, have to hit the brakes 2 or 3 times.
4) Rattle coming from back seat, getting progressively worse.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Side note... They tell me that the only loaners they have are Evoques.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Shouldn't you receive the first maintenance service for free ?

And all the issues you have listed are covered under the huge list of recall campaigns and warranty repairs - got them all covered for free in mine..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't you receive the first maintenance service for free ?

And all the issues you have listed are covered under the huge list of recall campaigns and warranty repairs - got them all covered for free in mine..
I would expect that it would be covered.
Thanks for information.
Is there a source for the "list of recall campaigns and warranty repairs"?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Take a look on this forum for the recall campaigns and warranty work all covered by JLR.

You should have received a letter from JLR stating that you should bring the car in to address these issues.

I had 2 huge rounds of recalls/warranty work done - once in the 2016 and the other in 2017.

I posted the huge list here on this forum so do some searching.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
To recap:
1) Sluggish Acceleration then lurch problem (Crappy/sluggish shifting returns...with a vengeance.)
2) Radio stopped working this morning (no sound at all on any mode)
3) Shifter won't shift into R or D sometimes, intermittent, have to hit the brakes 2 or 3 times.
4) Rattle coming from back seat, getting progressively worse.

So I"m almost at a week in the shop (US holiday Labor day 9/4) .
It appears that there was a "major" software update for No 2 (and many other items apparently).
They claim they don't see No 1, but I pushed the issue.
They can't replicate No 3 .
They had to order parts for No 4 (apparently a known issue).

Had to talk to 3 different people to get the list right.
So far not impressed with my service experience. Sales experience was also dismal.

Volvo loaner - ARGH!

Still waiting...

·
Registered
588 Posts
You may have to take the service advisor on a road trip to show them the issues.

I had mine in the shop for a week for update #2 .

Then a month in the shop for the telematics SOS issue.....

The good news is that the miles saved by not driving the DS compared to what I put on the Jag loaner !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A further update...Please don't construe any of this as complaining. This is more of an informational treatise of the experience and situation.

I'm now at my one year service visit. I explained the same issues I had last August (except for the rattle which was fixed back then).
Now the response is completely different. They knew of everything on my list except for the shifter knob not moving.
So it seems that the "from stop acceleration hesitation" is due to a valve problem in the transmission.
The fun part was that we were supposed to be in for three-ish hours, that was Friday. We have a loaner now.
The valve problem was not a public bulletin so they had to go through some detailed and lengthy testing to determine it was, in fact, the valve.
So step one down, then they had to get a pre-approval, then an approval, then order the part, then they get to install it.
The software / firmware updates (of which there were quite a few) takes hours or days.
It's interesting that they didn't have the updated firmware / software at the dealer. It had to be streamed / installed online from Atlanta.
I'm really looking forward to getting it back with all the mods. Kinda like having a new car again.

Sidenote.................
We had ordered the High Beam Assist feature ($250). We live in a rural area and it would be a great asset.
The problem was that it never worked. I went through the manual and the YouTube video's, the Internet - no joy.
So we thought it either wasn't installed or it was dead out of the box.
So I had that on the list when we entered the dealership on Friday. The service rep sits in the car and navigates the dash system menu.
There buried so deep a coal miner couldn't get to it was a selection for enabling the HBA, then a second function for oncoming traffic - left or right.
I had not seen that anywhere in the manuals nor the videos. I asked our sales guy and he hadn't heard of it.
So now I'm looking forward to digging out any more Easter eggs from the system menu path.
We drove home from the dealer Friday night with the loaner (Evoque). It had HBA, wow - again I'm looking forward to having that feature!!!!

So far so good. The interaction this time was a far cry better than my August 2017 interaction. 180 degrees.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Good luck!
We have the automatic high beams. I’ve never been impressed with that feature in our past vehicles that had it. The Discos version is the worst I’ve ever experienced, well except for out old Commander in which the feature never worked. It’s like a strobe light show in the Disco...on,off,on,off,on,off. Even on back roads. It’s terrible.

I will admit that the auto high beam in my current Power Wagon works reasonably well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting on the HBA function. The Evoque loaner worked perfectly. So I'll be interested to see if my 2017 Discovery Sport is on par with that when I get it back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My AHBA works fine. Sometimes street lamps are detected as oncoming traffic, but once bey are out of view, or I guess high enough in the view to be excluded as oncoming traffic the high beams go back on.

What is not as impressive are the adaptive headlights... They were much better in my 2010 Mazda3.

Good to hear about the better response! I have not had good interaction swith the dealer for my first service and when I had a brake issue (two different dealers).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ours seem to hyper sensitive and detect ANY other light source and then go back to low beams. Any light source from a street light to a porch light, any reflection from a road sign, to a mouse’s eye and it triggers the low beam. It’s ridiculous, I don’t even use the feature anymore. LOL!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see HBA being over-reactive - it works perfectly on dark streets in rural areas (where I live). I was thinking about a little dark tint film over the sensor in case it was too twitchy.

My continuing saga.....☺☺☺
We received a call from the service department last week letting us know that once they received the approval to order the valve that the valve that was ordered was the exact same one in the vehicle. hehehehe.
So they had to go back and get a new approval to get the new valve that "solves" the problems. But ........ it is coming from England.
They were very apologetic and good to deal with. So I guess I wait a bit more for the right valve to show up.
Hey, as long as it's fixed right.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

We are going on 3 weeks, it will be 3 weeks this Friday - May 4, 2018...
I contacted service, they informed me that the new, new transmission valve is on the way - again.
This is after the first valve was sent that was just the original and then a second original, then / now the correct re-designed valve is allegedly coming.
It appears that there was a bulletin (LR only) and now it's gone. Being "re-evaluated"? But my new / re-designed valve is still on the way.
It's a bit irritating. This doesn't appear to be the dealer / service, but LR itself.
Also, it's a bit of a chore to install. So, when it does come in (from England) it will not be a quick in and out.
Side note... The service rep explained that quite a few vehicles were in need of the valve. He mentioned that he had one a month ago replaced and it seems to have worked.
Oh, BTW, this in regard to "sluggish acceleration" issues.

Argh!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Short story is that I am picking up my DS today with no replacement valve after 3 weeks.
Apparently the vendor, ZF, is behind on parts. The service rep explained that the old OEM valve was being shipped over and over again because they ran out of re-designed valves.
He explained that LR put a stop to the transmission valve distribution.
LR is apparently having problems with ZF and all is on hold until they resolve the supply issues.
It appears that the valve issue is more widespread causing the shortage in parts.
That's why the bulletin was pulled.

Side note, he explained that the "sluggish acceleration" is amplified in cold weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This ... happened to me today driving in to work. Please keep us posted.

" Radio stopped working this morning (no sound at all on any mode)"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This ... happened to me today driving in to work. Please keep us posted.

" Radio stopped working this morning (no sound at all on any mode)"
That was one of the software update fixes.
I was told there are 12 software updateable modules on the LRDS.
Service where I go needed some less than subtle persuasion to do the work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update...
I just retrieved my LRDS back today. 15 months and the luggish acceleration problem may be fixed.

Finally had the sluggish acceleration transmission thing addressed.
So far it looks like the ZF transmission valve may have fixed the problem.
The process is frustrating. Getting them to acknowledge the problem was one hurdle.
Then getting the parts was another. Then getting them to call was another.
I have it back now and it "seems" okay so far.
I will keep you posted.

BTW - if anyone knows of any computer / config hacks, please post the workaround for some of the more irritating problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does NOT appear to be fixed. Still hesitating around corners, stutters, launches.
Frustrated would be a severe understatement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts