Discovery Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I have a 2016 discovery sport and was getting an alert for 4wd being disabled. The local shop tells me it will be $1900 USD to replace the Haldex and controller, including labor and reprogramming. Does this seem like a reasonable cost? I've read here about people cleaning / flushing them but the shop said the unit needs to be replaced.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ordered the part from Land Rover Parts and Spares Direct and worked very well. The part number is LR051321. It is just $353 now. Don't let your mechanic order it from the dealership.

Alternative option is cleaning it, but I didn't try. Mechanics always say "You need to replace the part (Or, you can't fix the part)" but it is not true in many cases. He better say... "Replacing a part is generally cheaper than fixing a part". Replacing parts is the most efficient method both for mechanics and customers. Fixing parts need more labor and time so customers end up paying more than replacing to a new one. Therefore, if you know how to fix it, you can try DIY.

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
529 Posts
If it was me I would try new fluid first.

The part quoted above is not for the Haldex only for the pump.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it was me I would try new fluid first.

The part quoted above is not for the Haldex only for the pump.
What do you mean by "not for the Haldex only for the pump."? Replacing LR051321 for 4WD disabled issue (2WD only issue) is a very common practice. I ordered, replaced, and fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
529 Posts
What do you mean by "not for the Haldex only for the pump."? Replacing LR051321 for 4WD disabled issue (2WD only issue) is a very common practice. I ordered, replaced, and fixed.
If you read the post from mOx he was quoted $1900 to replace the Haldex unit completely. It causes confusion when a price is given for one part and no labour. When did you replace yours and how long did it take.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you read the post from mOx he was quoted $1900 to replace the Haldex unit completely. It causes confusion when a price is given for one part and no labour. When did you replace yours and how long did it take.
I replaced mine Oct 2020. It was a half day job for a pro mechanic. I tried DIY, but the job was above my skill level as it required adding transfer case oil too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts