Discovery Sport Forum banner

Going to be new to Land Rover

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DiscoDisco 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I will/should be a new 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE owner by Wednesday. (My order should arrive today and I can pick it up next week) I have always wanted a Land Rover or Range Rover my whole life.

I have this incredible fear that I am making a big mistake after reading some issues people have with Land Rovers on this forum.

Are you all still happy with your purchase either during or after having problems resolved?

I can still get out of this purchase if coaxed in that direction but wanted to know what you all would do if you were in my situation or had it to do over again?

I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks-Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
We're several month into our ownership experience, and our Disco has been problem-free...and a really great vehicle.

I started pursuing this forum right after we took delivery of our Disco Sport; mostly to better understand our new car. I immediately panicked, reading about all the potential pitfalls but, to date (fingers tightly crossed) all is well. I have a 14 year old MINI Cooper, and experienced the same sense of fear after hearing about all of the potential quality issues, but I've never had a major problem there either.

I'm NOT discounting the problems others have had and I'm not naive enough to think that we'll escape all of the gremlins but, for now, the Disco's benefits outweigh any possible quality issues that may arise (at least for the 4 years that it's under warranty).

Honestly, if I'd read anything on this forum, before taking delivery, I probably would have backed out of it, but it's an awfully nice vehicle :).

Good luck...not an easy decision.

#3 ·
Saw your other post on the same subject. Yes, there are issues/complaints - but other than the b-pillar ticking issue (which only seems to affect few), nothing I would consider worthy of trading in the DS. Of course, it all depends on particular needs, tastes, etc.

You may also notice from these posts that others have mentioned major issues with other cars - Volvo, etc. In fact, one posted about a friend who traded in a 1-year old Mustang since it spent more time in service than at home. It all depends...

At the end of the day, I'm very happy and have been lucky, so have no thoughts about trading it in...

#4 ·
A repeat post ?

Additionally, I would like to say after 15 months of driving the Discovery, I am very happy and smiles around when I drive her around corners on power turns (standard torque vectoring feature).

Today while it was pouring rain, I found that I could not even dislodge the tires from the super slick roads while other cars kept hydroplaning.
4WD and torque vectoring is the magic combination to keeping the driver safe!

#8 · (Edited)
Early model 2015 HSE Lux owner here. Bought the first one on our metro area. The 2017 might be a little more refined. I KNOW that LR is aware of many of the issues that these vehicles have had. My wife and I have been LR admirers for years. We almost bought a LR3 in 2006 but chickened out at the very last minute because of reliability issues.
We figured things HAVE to be better 10 years later.
The Disco has huge potential. After a very long search, we thought the Disco was going to fit our active family's needs very well. For awhile it was beyond our expectations as it is super versatile, capable and performs well. Its also definitely a head turner. But the little niggles started to show up. Nothing severe and they were easily fixed. Our dealership always gave loaners so no biggie. I could live with it because of how well it did for our needs.
But it seems over the past 12 months, its always something popping up at the worst times...usually on trips or right before a trip. The most serious was when the climate control quit working the day we were to leave on a long road trip to go ski. Talk about a PITA!!!
We've had a check engine light on a ski trip last year....I was on edge the whole 12hour drive home that the Disco was going to crap out on is. Had a low engine coolant light come on during an out of town camping trip. Again, on edge the whole time. Its never left us stranded...knock wood. BUT....Im just tired of sitting on pins and needles every time I drive it outside the city limits.

So now the Disco is just going to be used as a daily driver and light duty use. We'll use my far more dependable truck for our adventures. Sad.
But every time I get out of it, I ALWAYS look back at it. I love to watch it go down the street when my wife leaves in it. We both really want to love this thing, its just makes it so hard to do so because we are too nervous to use it like it was intended....

Would I do it again? Maybe...if LR could pull their heads out of their ass and get this thing refined. Ill admit, We had a great love affair with the vehicle until recently. But the warranty is up in 24 months...its gone after that. :(

Like I said, the 17s may be a bit more refined...but Just make sure your dealership has plenty of loaners on hand just in case.
Good luck!

#9 ·
Oh and FWIW...I mentioned that we chickened out on the LR3 back in 06 because of "reliability issues"....the ironic thing was that we bought an 06 Jeep Commander instead...it turned out to be the biggest POS we've ever owned out of our 30 cars over the past 25 years. It was a complete basket case....we probably would have been better off in the LR3 LOL!
However, aside from the Commander, out of the other 29 cars we've owned, none have had the amount of issues and niggles as the Disco has had. Not even close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.